Sponsored by: APR

GT4 and Cayman S nanny question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts
Default GT4 and Cayman S nanny question

Is it possible to turn those fooking things off on the newer models? Things like Please Save Me, traction control, whatever? Or is it something that needs to be addressed by a tuner? Because for damn sure the dealer won't do it.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

On the GT4 there are two buttons to control this. One turns off PSM. The other turns of PSM and traction control.

Just one button on the Cayman S. This is the same as every Porsche that's ever shipped with PSM, right? Even the Panamera has this button.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nova996
On the GT4 there are two buttons to control this. One turns off PSM. The other turns of PSM and traction control.

Just one button on the Cayman S. This is the same as every Porsche that's ever shipped with PSM, right? Even the Panamera has this button.
No experience but need to ask. Autox chair told me this weekend he could never get it turned completely off on his Cayman S so he bought a Miata for the track. Those nannies work OK for saving somebodies butt on the street, but really suck if you are pushing your car well past their limits at sport.
On the very few times I have forgotten to turn off traction control my run just plain sucked. First turn and as soon as you feel it, too late. I have gone off line and cruised back to grid to save my tires. Run was ruined.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
No experience but need to ask. Autox chair told me this weekend he could never get it turned completely off on his Cayman S so he bought a Miata for the track. Those nannies work OK for saving somebodies butt on the street, but really suck if you are pushing your car well past their limits at sport.
On the very few times I have forgotten to turn off traction control my run just plain sucked. First turn and as soon as you feel it, too late. I have gone off line and cruised back to grid to save my tires. Run was ruined.
I'm not really into autox, but on the track PSM really isn't that bad, especially on the GT cars. There's enough latitude there that I don't think it really costs much to keep it on.

Maybe it is more of a hindrance in autox. Is this on a Cayman that you forgot to turn it off? Were you in sport plus mode?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 PM
ZCPSnob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can it be fully deactivated in the GTS? What about the R?

There is just something that annoys me about cars where you can't fully deactivate all computer inputs. Even on my S3 when it says everything is off, I can feel it trying to correct my ready perfect drifts.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

The only way to completely "turn off" PSM is to put a switch in the ground wire of the yaw sensor. I have found PSM very intrusive on track but with "Sport" on the PSM off, I don't notice it intervening.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
The only way to completely "turn off" PSM is to put a switch in the ground wire of the yaw sensor. I have found PSM very intrusive on track but with "Sport" on the PSM off, I don't notice it intervening.
This. They've been doing it for years on dedicated racecars. I know some guys who have an underdash switch that they throw on their DE cars. They have PSM on the street but when they get on track they can kill it. If you push your racecraft to the limit it will become an issue, and given the nature of auto-x I think one might actually find that limit sooner than someone on an open track.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

At least on a 981 S, the PSM is less intrusive then it was on my 997.2 GT3. You can really push the car hard before it interven. With it on, lap times don't seem to suffer. This was not the case in the GT3.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

New nannies added to current models is Porsche Torque Vectoring - you can't turn that off. All these aids make you think and feel like a great driver but you actually are mediocre or in some cases really suck. 997 GT3/RS are really great because they don't have as much stuff. The ultimate is the 996 GT3 - no nannies.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
The ultimate is the 996 GT3 - no nannies.
THIS ^^^^. I'd really like to get a GT4 and like what it has to offer on paper, but don't know if I would sell my 996 GT3 to get one. The 996GT3 is the last of the non driver aid cars (ABS the exception) that gives you a great experience on track where you know you are in control vs. an ECU. That and the fact the 996GT3 prices are rising
Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scruffy, did you talk to Ed about it. He may be giving up his Cayman R for a GT4, and might
have some insight.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomGT3
Scruffy, did you talk to Ed about it. He may be giving up his Cayman R for a GT4, and might
have some insight.
Do not remember who Ed is dealing with, but had dinner with him Saturday night. He does not have a written order because his dealer is not certain he will get a slot for him. He is #5? 2016 car?
I have a written order and am #3. Fall car? Totally suck if nanny cannot be turned off. How can you steer with the throttle with nannies trying to "protect" you?
BTW, can turn all off on my GT3RS. I used to spin when I turned it all off. So I turned it all off and learned to drive. Cannot say how much it totally sucks when I forget to turn it off. Like driving into a tub of Elmer's glue.

And Tom, WTF are you doing here on the Cayman forum? I think I know.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shopping for the wife.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 AM
zadar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Where is this sensor?
Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomGT3
Shopping for the wife.
Congratulations. Not only are well onto the slippery slope, you are now spraying it with silicon. Your own convoy to the events. I know what that is all about. Wait until she graduates to R comps.

Quick Reply: GT4 and Cayman S nanny question