Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise 2014 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 PM
monkeydog
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise 2014 Cayman

Hi guys. New here. First post ever. Not a car expert by any means.

Last August I decided to lease a 2014 Cayman PDK. When I test drove the car, I immediately fell in love with it. So, a few days later, found the car I wanted in a dealership 30 miles away from me, and got the car. The first couple of weeks, the car drove beautifully. After that, I started to notice a slight noise when the car was downshifting from 2nd gear to 1st. I don't really know how to describe the noise. It is almost like a short grind right when the car downshifts. It does not happen on any other shifting. Only from 2nd to 1st. The sounds is similar to when you change gears incorrectly in a manual car, but much shorter, and not so loud. You can also feel a tiny shake with it too. It probably goes on for 1/2 a second (very short) and is most prominent when the car doesn't have much gas in the tank. Not sure if that means anything.

When buying the car, I was sold on the fact that PDK was supposed to be like no other transmission. Really "smooth" and "advanced". Their words. I feel incredibly cheated. I had a car with a bad transmission in the past, and it's incredibly frustrating to hear the noise every single time. The problem is so bad and current that it is almost impossible to escape the timing in your head of when you will hear the noise. It is so obvious that I expect it and hear it every single time.

I went to the dealership right away when I first heard the noise. A representative (not a mechanic, but one of the agents) got in the car with me. He said: "Oh, that noise? That's nothing. That happens because your car is automatic, but the transmission is actually manual and gets shifted electronically. This is perfectly normal". The noise back then was slightly bareable. So, I decided to let it go, and trust his assesment. A few months later, I noticed the noise was getting worse. So, last month I went back to the dealership and left the car there for a mechanic to see it. They check it, and came back with: "It's normal." They told me they had the shop foreman drive it. His conclusion was: "It's normal"

I trully don't think that noise is normal. It CANNOT be normal. It would drive any car afisionado CRAZY every time they hear it. I'm not an expert, a huge car fan, picky, or difficult. I know I'm driving a sports car, and I'm thrill with the sounds of the engine and the things that make this car "sporty." But I believe there is something wrong with the car. I drove other Caymans and they do not produce this same noise.

So, here's where I'm at now. Porsche doesn't believe there's something wrong with the car. I do. What do I do? Should I get a second opinion? From who? A regular mechanic? A reputable porsche mechanic that is not a dealer? How do I find those? I'm so frustrated with this situation, I sometimes feel like breaking the lease. But I put some cash upfront that I don't want to lose. Please help. Sorry if my story is too long or I'm breaking any forum rules I missed. Thanks a lot in advance.

SJ
Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there another dealership you can take the car to that it's too far away from you? Where are you based? In the US? If so, you could try contacting Porsche Cars North America direct and ask them to check it.

Have you asked your dealer to let you drive another PDK car to see if the noise is there on that? If it isn't then its proof that yours isn't normal.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:18 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

I am with Andy... Have them demonstrate this normalcy in a PDK Cayman on the lot. I have a '14 Cayman S and there is no such noise or behavior in my car.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:43 PM
monkeydog
2nd Gear

Thank you guys for your reply. I have driven another Cayman and I didnt hear the noise. But I dont know how to convince them. Should I do it at their dealership and convice them there? They claim it is normal, I claim it isn't.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you need them in the car with you so that they can see it's not normal. If they still don't do anything I'd take it up directly with Porsche (ie, not with the dealer).
Old 04-25-2015, 08:10 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 2 replies you have got so far are spot on. i have an 09 pdk and if you FORCED me to find fault its.....the trans does not like to be babied the the winter for about one minute after start up .....next the trans all the time does not like power braking eg stepping on the gas a little while holding the brake [it will hesitate ]. aside from those 2 issues [which are caused by my driving habits] my trans is as smooth as a babies butt.....never any noise.you got the dealer to hear the noise and claim it is normal and i can say since i have been on po forums [09] i have not heard [pun] any posts about pdk noises
Old 04-24-2016, 03:15 PM
Jerry Monroy
1st Gear

Default Similar issue but has only happened a few times

Originally Posted by monkeydog
Hi guys. New here. First post ever. Not a car expert by any means.

Last August I decided to lease a 2014 Cayman PDK. When I test drove the car, I immediately fell in love with it. So, a few days later, found the car I wanted in a dealership 30 miles away from me, and got the car. The first couple of weeks, the car drove beautifully. After that, I started to notice a slight noise when the car was downshifting from 2nd gear to 1st. I don't really know how to describe the noise. It is almost like a short grind right when the car downshifts. It does not happen on any other shifting. Only from 2nd to 1st. The sounds is similar to when you change gears incorrectly in a manual car, but much shorter, and not so loud. You can also feel a tiny shake with it too. It probably goes on for 1/2 a second (very short) and is most prominent when the car doesn't have much gas in the tank. Not sure if that means anything.

When buying the car, I was sold on the fact that PDK was supposed to be like no other transmission. Really "smooth" and "advanced". Their words. I feel incredibly cheated. I had a car with a bad transmission in the past, and it's incredibly frustrating to hear the noise every single time. The problem is so bad and current that it is almost impossible to escape the timing in your head of when you will hear the noise. It is so obvious that I expect it and hear it every single time.

I went to the dealership right away when I first heard the noise. A representative (not a mechanic, but one of the agents) got in the car with me. He said: "Oh, that noise? That's nothing. That happens because your car is automatic, but the transmission is actually manual and gets shifted electronically. This is perfectly normal". The noise back then was slightly bareable. So, I decided to let it go, and trust his assesment. A few months later, I noticed the noise was getting worse. So, last month I went back to the dealership and left the car there for a mechanic to see it. They check it, and came back with: "It's normal." They told me they had the shop foreman drive it. His conclusion was: "It's normal"

I trully don't think that noise is normal. It CANNOT be normal. It would drive any car afisionado CRAZY every time they hear it. I'm not an expert, a huge car fan, picky, or difficult. I know I'm driving a sports car, and I'm thrill with the sounds of the engine and the things that make this car "sporty." But I believe there is something wrong with the car. I drove other Caymans and they do not produce this same noise.

So, here's where I'm at now. Porsche doesn't believe there's something wrong with the car. I do. What do I do? Should I get a second opinion? From who? A regular mechanic? A reputable porsche mechanic that is not a dealer? How do I find those? I'm so frustrated with this situation, I sometimes feel like breaking the lease. But I put some cash upfront that I don't want to lose. Please help. Sorry if my story is too long or I'm breaking any forum rules I missed. Thanks a lot in advance.

SJ
The downshift grinding has happened to me "only" 3 times but has me concerned. I will be taking my 981 in as I have an extended warranty and will keep you posted. I'm hoping it just needs the gear and/or trans fluids changed.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Curious, when/why are you downshifting into first? I don't drop it into first unless I'm basically stopped. Are you guys routinely making that downshift?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Curious, when/why are you downshifting into first? I don't drop it into first unless I'm basically stopped. Are you guys routinely making that downshift?
in a parking lot, yes, for instance.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

routinely ? no. why should i....it,s an automatic,just press on the go pedal more and the trans will sort the gears out. i am past the stage in life where i have to keep the car in a lower gear to get noticed
Old 04-26-2016, 02:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
in a parking lot, yes, for instance.
Really, when you're on the move? I find first gear to be so short in this car that I never use it unless I'm starting from a dead stop. I hate it when I'm in a parking lot in second gear in manual mode, slow to a crawl for a speed bump and it automatically drops it into first. I've now found that balance point where I keep the car moving just enough to keep it in second.

I never, ever manually put this car into first gear.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really, when you're on the move? I find first gear to be so short in this car that I never use it unless I'm starting from a dead stop. I hate it when I'm in a parking lot in second gear in manual mode, slow to a crawl for a speed bump and it automatically drops it into first. I've now found that balance point where I keep the car moving just enough to keep it in second. I never, ever manually put this car into first gear.
oops, sorry, I have a MT.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise 2014 Cayman