Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Electronic Unit 2006 S Tiptronic, Correct part?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Electronic Unit 2006 S Tiptronic, Correct part?

Hi I have a 2006 Cayman S with Tiptronic as a track car. The steering wheel switches do not work and I suspect the later model wheel with the round centre is the culprit. Does anyone know the correct part number for the "Electronic unit multi-function" with just tiptronic for the original 2006 unit. I will most likely change the wheel as I do not need an airbag, but I need the correct electronics, to wire switches to.

Conversion to a manual is at least a year away, so i would like to change and hold gears.

A video of me last weekend on the track at Mt Panorama, Bathurst, Australia is here.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

Default Electronic unit 997 613 445 02

I have had a look at the parts diagrams and vendor sites. I also arranged for the car to be hooked up to an AutoLogic unit, which could see all the gearbox functions but not the steering wheel switches. it looks like there are two electronic units around: the early model 997 613 445 02/03 and the later model 997 613 297 02. Has anyone done an upgrade and have an old 997 613 445 02 or 03 lying around that I could purchase?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:14 AM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

The fault turned out to be the Clockspring. It was broken inside and the breakage was not obvious until it was removed and inspected.When the new one was installed the lights in the tiptronic switches came on with the headlights. Gear selectors are working well.

Also installed the AMG paddle shifters to the back of the wheel, not sure that I would do this to a road car as it involved drilling and dremelling the slots. Wiring was easy. I am impressed with the paddle shifters, very precise and easy to use with driving gloves on.

I now have to work out what to do withe USD200 control unit part that I did not need or use. A shame that I took it out of the Porsche box.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Electronic Unit 2006 S Tiptronic, Correct part?