Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits to retrofit sport mode to manual stick 06 cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:07 PM
nafzal80
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Benefits to retrofit sport mode to manual stick 06 cayman S?

Hi, I have read a lot about the benefits of installing the sport mode feature to pdk type/sport shift caymans. I am curious to see what benefits can be gained for doing this install (sun coast sells all the parts) to a manual stick shift 2006 Cayman S that has no SPE / PASM / Chrono etc. All I have is PSM (standard feature). Would like to do install but would like to understand benefit of doing this install. Is rev matching available with the sport mode install?

Thinking of installing PSE and Porsche short shifter too. Appreciate it the input.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will gain the increase in throttle response, it's a sportier throttle map. Rev matching is only available on the 981.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:52 AM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the short shift kit on my car when it was almost new and it has been great since then. Reduced throw and a stiffer better feel. A little pricy, but I have been in the pits fixing an aftermarket one on a friend's car during a track day. Stock has never failed.

I also installed the Softronic tuning that can turn on the sport mode permanently. I ordered my car without the sport chrono because for the cost of the option I could get a reflash, with more power, without the chrono clock. Without sport mode, the last 500 rpm feels very lazy as the ECU reduces the power to redline. With sport on, the car pulls hard to redline without the soft limiter. A big difference in how it feels if you are driving the car hard in the upper rpm or if you like the quicker throttle response. I also didn't like the fact that the throttle sensitivity would change depending on what mode you are in. I like the idea of a consistent throttle so you can train your muscle memory to perform heel toe downshifts. If you are switching between sport and non sport you blip timing will be off.

As for the PSE, there are options out there that make more power & are probably cheaper. Sound is subjective though. I have a Milltek catback on mine as it made the most power out of all of the exhausts when I purchased it. I had a Remus on it too and that sounded incredible--but the engine felt lazier compared to the Milltek. So I sold the Remus.

Summary: OEM short shift is great, get the Softronic tuning instead of the OEM sport button, chose the exhaust you like best.

Quick Reply: Benefits to retrofit sport mode to manual stick 06 cayman S?