Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDR30 and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:42 PM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CDR30 and Bluetooth

So my 10 base cayman has the cdr30, and my Iphone 5 paired ok but 2 questions. My car does have the aux input.
It wont let me play music off my phone, and it wont take my contacts list.
Do I have to use the aux and a cord to play music off the phone?
is there a way to add contacts in from the phone?

TIA

an aside, any ideas for a better aftermarket system that fits and has nav? I am not a audio savvy person btw. Just would like to have nav and be able to play music via BT without a cord.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the CDR30 in my '11 with the one of the Kenwood Excelon products a few months before I traded it in on the present car.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx892/

It worked well with my iPhone and also provided both nav and satellite radio.

To interface with the factory amps (Bose in my case), an expensive adapter module and professional installation were required at a rather healthy cost.

You might check with the local PCA chapter to find an audio shop that does quality work with Porsche cars. (Even the local dealership might have a recommendation of who THEY use).
Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The CDR30 doesn't do bluetooth audio, you will need to connect the phone to play music from it. I recommend getting a USB flash drive to load your music on and leaving it plugged in. I have a micro usb drive that doesn't get in the way of storing things in the center console.

Your contacts should load over bluetooth, I had no issues with my android phone. Maybe someone with an iphone will chime in and be more helpful.

I'm not a fan of putting aftermarket stereo/nav systems in my Porsche cars.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:19 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

No affiliation, but the 993 crowd and others recommend:

http://caraudioinnovations.com/ look at his Cayman installations.

Its a drive, but he does beautiful work.

Keep the factory stuff and you can pass it on to the next owner, if they want to go back to the CDR30, they can.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pegdrag
Keep the factory stuff and you can pass it on to the next owner, if they want to go back to the CDR30, they can.
Agreed if you decide to go aftermarket. When I traded mine I gave the CDR30 to the dealership when I turned the car in. They reinstalled the factory setup and then certified/sold the car as a CPO.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:17 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same situation in my '09. Would something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Mu...-/321557543515
Old 03-14-2015, 11:29 AM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

thanks for all the help gentlemen! I play all my music at home through wireless speakers using BT, and I thought it would work the same in the car. Seems kinda dumb you can use the phone thru BT but can't play music? argh. I will check out the AM options.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

I think the 981 introduced audio over bluetooth. Check over at planet-9 there are a ton of posts on getting bluetooth audio support.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pecivil
thanks for all the help gentlemen! I play all my music at home through wireless speakers using BT, and I thought it would work the same in the car. Seems kinda dumb you can use the phone thru BT but can't play music? argh.
It IS frustrating, but a different bluetooth profile is used for music.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 AM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reference to planet nine.....they have several very informative threads on the exact topic. I ended up getting a music BT thing called the isimple blujax that plugs into the AUX plug and your phone sees it on the bt list and wham put the stereo on aux and your phone plays music exactly similar to a wireless speaker. Got it at bust buy there were quite a few others online. It sounds pretty good and the battery lasts 8 hours it says. It took literally less than 5 minutes to charge too. the storage lid closes and it turns itself off after5 min of non use. Easy peasy and it works. it would be nice if you could power it with the car...but nothing is perfect I guess. my car does not have the usb port damn it.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Glad you got things figured out!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pecivil
Thanks for the reference to planet nine.....they have several very informative threads on the exact topic. I ended up getting a music BT thing called the isimple blujax that plugs into the AUX plug and your phone sees it on the bt list and wham put the stereo on aux and your phone plays music exactly similar to a wireless speaker. Got it at bust buy there were quite a few others online. It sounds pretty good and the battery lasts 8 hours it says. It took literally less than 5 minutes to charge too. the storage lid closes and it turns itself off after5 min of non use. Easy peasy and it works. it would be nice if you could power it with the car...but nothing is perfect I guess. my car does not have the usb port damn it.
Good job. You do have a lighter socket, buy an adapter to power up your BT receiver.

Quick Reply: CDR30 and Bluetooth