Why GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:49 AM
S4dude
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why GTS?

Hello all,

I'm currently driving a 2014 Audi S4. I love the car but frankly have no need for a back seat or 4 doors. My original plan was to find a fairly new CPO'd C2S. After conducting some light research, the Cayman GTS caught my eye and the reviews were all stellar. Then GT4 happened....

I'm aware that GT4 allocations are probably difficult at best to secure at the moment but have seen plenty of GTS cars available. That being said, for the price, has the GT4 basically killed the GTS? I can't determine if there is any upside to the GTS knowing the GT4 will at some point be available. I can't fathom how a well specked GTS>than a lower specked GT4 for similar cash. I suspect that the GTS is a better DD but I don't commute to work often enough to have those concerns.

Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:32 AM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have pretty much summed it up nicely.

One thing to consider. Depreciation costs if you keep your cars for short periods.

You should be able to negotiate some discount at point of sale on a gts while gt4 is full msrp. Still a gts should depreciate at a normal Cayman rate. About 55% residual by Porsche or about 60-65% private resale. I can see a GT4 holding about 80% over the same time period.

Last edited by focal; 03-10-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:56 AM
S4dude
8th Gear

Originally Posted by focal
I think you have pretty much summed it up nicely.

One thing to consider. Depreciation costs if you keep your cars for short periods.

You should be able to negotiate some discount at point is sale on a gts while gt4 is full msrp. Still a gts should depreciate at a normal Cayman rate. About 55% residual by Porsche or about 60-65% private resale. I can see a GT4 holding about 80% over the same time period.
Glad my thoughts on this are at least in the ballpark. I've had the S4 for a bit over a year and have never considered turning a car over this quickly. If Audi was further along in the next development cycle and committed to more RS cars I doubt I'd be considering leaving the brand. While the GTS is very compelling, the GT4 appears to be a very special car. I think I'll continue looking at the C2S (patiently) and then see how things settle with the GT4 in the near future.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

A couple of the early reviews suggest that the GT4 isn't much less comfortable on normal roads than the GTS (or at least a GTS with X73). And most of the reviewers have driven the car with the light weight seats. With a set of normal seats, the comfort gap may be near nil.

On the other hand, the GTS is available with more luxury options, has a more usable front approach angle, and for my taste is more "adult" looking. And, of course, the GTS is available and the GT4 is not available to most people until next year.

Having said that, I'm going with the GT4 if I can get one. This is going to be a weekend/track car for me. If this were going to be a DD, I'd prefer the GTS.

Either car, IMO, would be a major upgrade in agility, steering feel, and fun over an S4. And it sounds like the sacrifice of the rear seats and AWD is not too difficult for you.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 AM
S4dude
8th Gear

Originally Posted by nova996
A couple of the early reviews suggest that the GT4 isn't much less comfortable on normal roads than the GTS (or at least a GTS with X73). And most of the reviewers have driven the car with the light weight seats. With a set of normal seats, the comfort gap may be near nil.

On the other hand, the GTS is available with more luxury options, has a more usable front approach angle, and for my taste is more "adult" looking. And, of course, the GTS is available and the GT4 is not available to most people until next year.

Having said that, I'm going with the GT4 if I can get one. This is going to be a weekend/track car for me. If this were going to be a DD, I'd prefer the GTS.

Either car, IMO, would be a major upgrade in agility, steering feel, and fun over an S4. And it sounds like the sacrifice of the rear seats and AWD is not too difficult for you.
Agreed. I notice Chris Harris was complementary of the ride, that frankly surprised me. Additionally, next year is just fine. Should put me in a better position on the S4. Finally, I think a Cayman S would be a significant improvement over the S4 in most metrics (save straight line grunt). I still love the car, just looking for something smaller and more interesting. I won't option the next P-car the way I optioned the S4 but I suspect the significant improvement in dynamics will more than make up the tech.

Priced a GT4 on the site recently and should I pull the trigger, I'm going for a stripper. I can live without the tech I'm certain.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

That's tough. If you can find an allocation for a GT4 and wait a year or two to get it, then go for it. If not, then a GTS is absolutely spectacular, I got to drive them hard on track in the Porsche World Road Show. That is what skewed me to the new Cayman, and now GT4.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 AM
rx7turbo
Instructor

I was watching an older "Top Gear" on Saturday and the Cayman GTS lapped their test track as fast as the Ferrari they were testing.

I don't remember which model the Ferrari was but it had a supercharged V8 and couldn't do a better lap time than the GTS.

Quite ironic given Clarksons dislike for the "Cockster".
Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 599 Posts

I drove the Cayman GTS this past summer with the Porsche NA road tour event. It was a beast! I'd love to score a GTS so long as the delta was sizeable enough from the GT4.

Quick Reply: Why GTS?