Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent code checker

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM
rx7turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent code checker

My '06 Cayman S keeps lighting up the "check engine" light. Twice I have taken it to the dealers and they find nothing.

The are about 100 miles away, the nearest is about 70 miles away in Jax and the nearest private shop is about 50 miles away.

Over the last 2 weeks, it has come and then gone off after a day or so.

I would like to be able to read the code while the light is on instead of driving all the way to any of those shops.

A local Advanced Auto has an Actron Auto Scanner and they say all cars have to have the same connector since about 98 or something like that.

So, is that any good and would it be able to decipher the Porsche codes or can anyone name me a decent one, online or local chain is fine.

This one is $220.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:04 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I purchased an OBD code reader (Centech brand, I believe) at the local Harbor Freight store (Harbor Fright?) for less than $100. I've used it a couple of times to narrow down a throttle body/idle problem on my 996, but I've never had it hooked up to the Cayman.

I don't know much about one brand vs another, but you can search on the Forums for several threads on this topic to find opinions about specific OBD reader models.
Some readers can do more than others. Some can reset check engine lights, some cannot, etc.

Beginning with the 993 Porsche models all the way up till present day will use the same OBD port.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:24 AM
rx7turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I purchased an OBD code reader (Centech brand, I believe) at the local Harbor Freight store (Harbor Fright?) for less than $100. I've used it a couple of times to narrow down a throttle body/idle problem on my 996, but I've never had it hooked up to the Cayman.

I don't know much about one brand vs another, but you can search on the Forums for several threads on this topic to find opinions about specific OBD reader models.
Some readers can do more than others. Some can reset check engine lights, some cannot, etc.

Beginning with the 993 Porsche models all the way up till present day will use the same OBD port.
I searched for the topic and could not find it.

Advance Auto has several that will reset the "check engine" lights but the Actron Elite seems to be the most promising with an onboard database of codes and what they mean, etc.

I will see if I get any responses about about 0930 EDT later today and go from there.

Thanks for the reply.

ETA: Where is the port on the Cayman S, 2006 version?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:28 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is one thread I just found. I have not read all thru it though.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ii-reader.html

The OBD port is almost always on the drivers side under the dash (inside the car).
Old 03-10-2015, 06:31 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Search under Durametric. You'll be swamped with threads. I have a $5 OBD II Bluetooth sender and about 5 free aps on my android phone that give a bunch of live info on engine signals. One really good ap is Torque, but it costs a few bucks. Good luck tracking down the problem.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 AM
rx7turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokayman
Here is one thread I just found. I have not read all thru it though.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ii-reader.html

The OBD port is almost always on the drivers side under the dash (inside the car).
Great thread. Not only did I find that the Durametric limits the number of cars you can do:

Durametric sets theirs to only work with 3 different porsches then locks out any further trys of reading any other serial numbered cars.
but I also found that many like the Actron that I am looking at.

I also may have discovered why I am getting the CEL, because I double tap the gas all the time:

First time I got the CEL was rainy early morning fly to work. Yesterday was after lots of rain earlier with drizzle going on. Lacking taking a chance on a ticket I was doing heavy downshifting. I'm not sure if the first time I had nearly a newly topped off tank but this last time was within a day of topping off. It's best to not double tap the gas tank filling or stuff like that charcoal filter CEL with happen. I guess I'm sloshing gas up to the tube some times. Kind of annoying CEL to get.
That may be what I am getting.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7turbo
Great thread. Not only did I find that the Durametric limits the number of cars you can do:

but I also found that many like the Actron that I am looking at.

I also may have discovered why I am getting the CEL, because I double tap the gas all the time:

That may be what I am getting.
The Durametric tool comes in two models the enthusiast model limits you to three cars it lets you clear codes and service reminders and some coding The pro model is unlimited number of cars and allows many coding options. I actually have two of the enthusiast versions
Check there website for more details before you buy something else.

Cman21
Old 03-15-2015, 08:32 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman21
The Durametric tool comes in two models the enthusiast model limits you to three cars it lets you clear codes and service reminders and some coding The pro model is unlimited number of cars and allows many coding options. I actually have two of the enthusiast versions
Check there website for more details before you buy something else.

Cman21
I used a Durametric pro yesterday. Some of it was intuitive most of the interesting stuff not so much. My gas tank was low, so when I reset the alarms it took it to zero empty, zero mile left to refill, which had me worried. There was some gas in the car as the warning light had just come on. I filled the car and now it reads 3/4 full. I'm hoping the gas nozzle shut off early!

Quick Reply: Decent code checker