Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Fair Price to CPO Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:57 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question: Fair Price to CPO Cayman

Shopping for pro-owned 2014 Cayman. One I like with 15,000 miles is not CPO. Dealer said he would CPO for $3000 plus replacement items needed to meet CPO requirement (like tire tread is below CPO requirement). He said Porsche charges him $3000 just for "paperwork" to CPO car. On the other hand, last June I found Feb. 2013 build 2014 MY Cayman that had been sitting on dealer lot a long time and then was sold in March, 2014 and had 5000 miles on it. Dealer said he would charge me $1000 to CPO car (with low miles did not need any parts and dealer may have not really done much inspection). So I question whether Porsche charges dealers $3000 just for CPO paperwork.

However, I could see $3000 charge from Porsche would include what Porsche is charging dealer for extended warranty that goes with CPO. That makes some sense because earlier a dealer had told me he could get an extended warranty through company called Zurich for $2000 (6 years, 60,000 miles).

Depending on how accounting is done, a dealer could use his techs to do all the CPO inspections at very little cost to dealer leaving dealer (or dealer and customer) paying Porsche for CPO "listing" as well as parts that needed replacing.

Has anyone got a straight answer from Porsche or dealer as to what Porsche charges dealer to allow dealer to advertise car as "Porsche Certified?"
Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2K in my case.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:26 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blackboy
2K in my case.
This is the average I've heard to CPO a car. Anything that is not CPO standard needs to be repaired or replaced, for example if the tires are below CPO spec or are the wrong brand the dealer has to replace them first.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:27 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Thank you for 2K comments. I expect CPO charge is part of overall profit dealers try to get from customers so even if I call Porsche NA I expect they will not say what they charge dealers.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 AM
denniscasey
Instructor

I called Porsche NA and asked if Porsche charged dealers for paperwork, etc associated with CPO. Person I talked to said Porsche did not charge dealers any "fees" for CPO. Person diplomatically said the differences in "charges" for CPO from dealer to dealer probably due to different labor rates charged by dealer to do CPO inspections. Person also said Porsche did not sell extended warranties associated with CPO to dealers, but vague about who provides the warranty.

I should say semantics could play a role here as perhaps Porsche does somehow charge dealer for CPO but they call it something else.

In the end however, it seems essentially each dealer can charge what he wants to CPO a car (leaving aside of course actual costs associated with replacing wear items to bring them up to CPO spec)--probably the dealer charging what he thinks he can get (as expected to maximize profit or make the car more saleable via CPO).

Quick Reply: Question: Fair Price to CPO Cayman