Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Audio options - Bluetooth Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GT4 Audio options - Bluetooth Audio?

While speccing my GT4, I was looking at the audio options.

The only thing I really want is Bluetooth Audio Streaming of some form. I have no use for PCM nav.

While the PCM I have in my 991 has this, the Configurator for the GT4 doesn't mention Bluetooth Audio is available on any of the options (Base CDR, CDR+ or PCM).

I'm sure PCM has it, but does CDR or CDR+ have it?
Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Does PCM include CDR+?
Old 02-11-2015, 02:12 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the base audio a digital pre out system (fiber optic)? Can I just yank the amp out and install a better one? I know in the BMW world, the base audio is a normal balanced line output making audio upgrades very easy. Usually when there is BOSE or Harmon Kardon, there are DSP's and it's definitely a digital output.

IF I go with an audio delete or base audio, can it really be that simple to replace the deck with a standard 2 DIN head unit?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:07 PM
focal
Racer

the more I think about it and research the more inclined I'm to opt for audio delete and build a system from scratch and not have to deal with any integration.

A simple build of a dual din deck/processor/4 ch amp. for speakers install flat 8" subs (focal or earthquake) in the doors and a component set like the Hybrid Audio L3v2 and L1v2.

probably cost under 3k installed.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

Im admittedly less of an audiophile but the 981s I had was spec'd with the base radio. I used a griffin blue trip in the glove box with a short male to male connector to the aux in located in the glove box. I was able to stream easily from my iphone with acceptable sound and it was a completely out of sight, clean set up
Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 PM
focal
Racer

basic radio is barely going to cut it for my needs. I've not left a car alone when it comes to audio for 25 years almost.

if I wanted to go a little further..find a high quality single deck and put an iPad above it since all the OEM controls are deleted also. but I think I'd be happy with the single DIN head unit and just my phone. I like the cubby holes when you select audio delete.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

At the risk of bringing this thread back on topic - Does anyone have more information on which of the three factory audio options has bluetooth streaming audio?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:02 PM
focal
Racer

Originally Posted by sapman
At the risk of bringing this thread back on topic - Does anyone have more information on which of the three factory audio options has bluetooth streaming audio?
believe the PCM option adds the USB and bluetooth streaming.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:04 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current CDR+ (as in our Cayman S) does have BlueTooth streaming. I'd be surprised if the GT4 were different.

Over on Planet 9 there's a thread: Audio Options sorted. I don't know if its different or needs updating for the GT4 (presuming not).
Old 02-13-2015, 05:59 PM
focal
Racer

gt4 has the base CDR. CDR+ is an option, along with PCM/CDR+
Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 PM
focal
Racer

more info..

Canada only: we get the CDR+ as standard but withOUT the USB. To get USB you have to get the NAV

US: you get CDR, CDR+ is an option but gives you USB, NAV is the third option.

question, do you think the CDR+ can just add the USB input cable from parts?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by focal
more info..

Canada only: we get the CDR+ as standard but withOUT the USB. To get USB you have to get the NAV

US: you get CDR, CDR+ is an option but gives you USB, NAV is the third option.

question, do you think the CDR+ can just add the USB input cable from parts?
Where did you get confirmation about the Canadian spec? I'd be interested in adding USB as well, if possible.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM
focal
Racer

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Where did you get confirmation about the Canadian spec? I'd be interested in adding USB as well, if possible.
dealer and SA. We looked it up and confirmed the differences in the detailed specs of the car that sales/dealers have access to.

the CDN Configurator also has no CDR+ option but the US site has.

my previous BMW E60 had an aux-in cable you could buy and then pay to have it coded in. Don't know how Porsche sounds systems work. I doubt the chipsets are NOT built in already in the CDR+ decks, but I could be wrong. USB is definitely more complex than Aux-in.

I definitely don't want to drop $3000+ for nav just to get an USB port. I'd rather live with aux in and build out the system the way I have (amps/speakers/dsp) with the same funds. My BMW also has no USB and I've built a great system.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:11 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by focal
dealer and SA. We looked it up and confirmed the differences in the detailed specs of the car that sales/dealers have access to.

the CDN Configurator also has no CDR+ option but the US site has.
Okay, thanks - good to know. Extremely annoying that they would omit a $5 USB connector though. I'm sure it could be added after the fact, but would the stereo need to be recoded to make use of it?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Rkrasko
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the dealer looking into the streaming audio as well. Im positive the cdr+ has it, but not sure if the base cdr system has streaming audio. On the Macan forums, people are saying the base cdr system supports it. I wish Porsche would just update their website with better information. Kia has better info..

Quick Reply: GT4 Audio options - Bluetooth Audio?