Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 configurator: best options to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default GT4 configurator: best options to choose?

While this car is the new "entry level" GT, the difference between an $85k stripper and a $115k loaded model is significant.. Once you top out you're within a whisker of a gt3... So which options make the most sense? We're all spending time on the configurator no doubt, agonizing over the seats, the need for leather.. Whether pccb are overkill and how pretty that Damn sport chrono looks.. Have a few months before orders go in, let's discuss.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Buckets, black wheels, black wing uprights, bigger fuel tank. That's it.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:35 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black wheels & black wing uprights won't make it go faster
Old 02-08-2015, 12:13 AM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
Black wheels & black wing uprights won't make it go faster
Won't make it go slower either
Old 02-08-2015, 12:20 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts

$$ options - paint, dual a/c, heated seats ($2,000)

No $$ options - silver wheels, extended tank, black uprights
Old 02-08-2015, 12:41 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I'd do buckets, PCM, paint, black brackets, painted headlight washers, bigger fuel tank (wheel color depending on paint), basic leather (no real need for extended),steering column in leather (looks great if you havent seen it) and leave PCCB up to you...but I probably would leave it on this one and put in ceramic pads for the road. I build one Id love at 99400...(had a couple more options I'd like but hey).
Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

As it already comes with all of the right performance options (PASM, Torque Vectoring, diff lock, sport-mode software, sport+ alcantara seats, 385+ HP), I think it would be a truly amazing car with nothing other than your choice of paint.

I'd splurge he extra $710 for Sapphire Blue paint and $685 for black wheels because it looks fantastic in that combo, take the free black wing supports. Delete the rear P O R S C H E lettering as well.

No way in hell I'd start loading up on leather/aluminum trim or overpriced and underperforming audio/communications options. In fact I think I'd take the radio delete.

$4,730 for the race buckets? Tempting, but I'd skip them and take euro delivery with a three week trip across Europe instead.

$87K and done.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:12 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

White + buckets + larger tank. That's it.
Then play with vinyl on white canvas to keep things interesting.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:52 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

A few notables which leave a ?:

-pdls: still not active for US market correct... So what reason is there to pay for it as an option when basic headlight is already black bi-xenon?

-steering column leather: noticed that the leather stitching isn't in same color as the rest of the car according to configurator.. Stays black no matter what which reduces the appeal if accurate.. Anyone know for sure?

-cdr+: is this the only way to have an aux & usb access to stereo in order to play iPod music?... Seems worth it if only to get satellite radio... But $1700 just to have an aux input seems like a ripoff.

-not that I would ever consider it.. But extended dash doesn't seem to show any change in configurator... Definitely no additional stitching.. Where is the change?

-pccb: just pure overkill oversized **** on this car... Or just get a set of racingbrake disks after the regular steel ones need to be replaced?

-with leather/buckets/pccb.. You reach $107k easy... Resale suicide?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking about Rip Off, Active Cruise control cost $2,490. Should be standard due to it's benefits of slamming on the brakes actively if you don't.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Talking about Rip Off, Active Cruise control cost $2,490. Should be standard due to it's benefits of slamming on the brakes actively if you don't.
I had missed the cruise control, didn't even see it in config.. Yes, how funny would that be.. Maybe use it for a follow-lead with instructor, stay glued to his bumper and let the car do the work.

Edit: (Lest I be harpooned by the forum no humor police, that was a joke)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:29 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Is this what triggers off my V1 radar detector every time I come near an Audi or any other newer model sedan/SUV? These things are everywhere.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:44 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
-cdr+: is this the only way to have an aux & usb access to stereo in order to play iPod music?... Seems worth it if only to get satellite radio... But $1700 just to have an aux input seems like a ripoff.
Included CDR has "aux interface", I believe it is a digital interface but I suppose it could be just a 1/4" audio input? I think CDR+ primarily adds speakers and amplifiers.

Plus, Porsche Motorsports worked incredibly hard to keep weight down on this car... Although it still lists as the curb weight as much as the regular Cayman, the motorsports guys explain that the 'listed' weight with the GT4 includes a bigger engine, much bigger steel rotors , extra beefy fully adjustable suspension, third radiator, extra reinforcements throughout, etc. What a shame to go adding extra crap like speaker magnets and amps when they strove so hard to keep it light. I'd really love to see what curb weight is with Radio delete, AC delete, race buckets (presumably lighter than the sport+ seats?) and composite brakes...
Audiosystem CDR and audiosystem CDR Plus

CDR audio system.
Fitted as standard, the CDR audio system with 7-inch colour screen is intuitive to control. It features a CD radio with FM twin tuner with RDS, 30 memory presets, dynamic autostore and speed-sensitive volume control. For quality sound, it boasts four loudspeakers and an integrated amplifier with a power output of 2 x 25 watts. The AUX interface in the glove compartment enables you to connect external sources such as a compatible MP3 player.

CDR Plus audio system.
The CDR Plus audio system, with nine loudspeakers and a total output of 235 watts, is available as an option. It also features an analogue and digital twin tuner, an MP3-compatible CD/DVD drive, a USB port and an AUX interface.
CDR:

Last edited by pfbz; 02-08-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

What ab the climate control option with dual sided adjustability.. In a car that small is this even relevant?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What ab the climate control option with dual sided adjustability.. In a car that small is this even relevant?
I'd skip it... I have had the dual in my current Cayman and previous 911, not like it is a great system. Though evidently it is fully manual without the 'dual-auto' option?

The horror of adjusting the temperature and fan speed yourself! :-)

Quick Reply: GT4 configurator: best options to choose?