Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 configurator: best options to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:52 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon H
Does anyone know how much weight extended fuel tank will add?

The tank is aprox. 2+ gallons bigger capacity so it should not be much.
Any additional gasoline weighs aprox. 6.2 lb/per gallon.
I don't understand why the larger tank would add any significant weight (beyond the small amount of material needed to envelop the larger volume). If the weight of gasoline is a concern then just don't fill it up to the max.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A litre of liquid is approx. 1 kg (2.2 lbs). Standard GT4 tank is 54 litres and optional is 64. Weight difference for a fully-fueled vehicle is 22 lbs.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
A litre of liquid is approx. 1 kg (2.2 lbs). Standard GT4 tank is 54 litres and optional is 64. Weight difference for a fully-fueled vehicle is 22 lbs.
So just fill up the larger tank with 54 liters instead of 64 and both cars will weigh the same. Better to have the option to fill up with 64 liters than not.

There's no reason not to get the larger tank except for maybe some small loss of trunk space. Or am I missing something here?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:40 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been playing with the configurator every day and have some questions/comments:

* I like the Anodized Black Brushed Aluminum Interior Package ($325), but thought I remember someone saying on other cars it only changes one part of the aluminum, thus leaving the car disjointed with two colors of aluminum. Can anyone confirm this?

* Luggage net in passenger footwell - what is the purpose of this? I'm thinking of speccing it, but am curious how people use this feature?

* Sports chrono package seems a waste...but man I like the look of that clock.

* The door pulls appear in black, yellow, and red...is this tied to the stitching of the interior or the seatbelt spec? I had yellow seat belts on my CS and they got dirty, so while I semi-want red belts, I want black door pulls.

* I'm having a hard time discerning the difference between full leather vs basic, not to mention the ancillary options thereafter. Anyone have real life examples of both in a 981?

* does anyone know if the either the standard or uprated headlights feature the '4 dot' DRLs or is that not an option on the 981 lights at all?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
I've been playing with the configurator every day and have some questions/comments:

* I like the Anodized Black Brushed Aluminum Interior Package ($325), but thought I remember someone saying on other cars it only changes one part of the aluminum, thus leaving the car disjointed with two colors of aluminum. Can anyone confirm this?

* Luggage net in passenger footwell - what is the purpose of this? I'm thinking of speccing it, but am curious how people use this feature?
TO RETAIN MAG OR MAPS OR WATER BOTTLE OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD WANT NOT TO ROLL AROUND

* Sports chrono package seems a waste...but man I like the look of that clock.
THAT'S WHAT IT IS AND SOFTWARE TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR TIMES
ITS NOT LIKE BEFORE WHERE IT CHANGES ENGINE MAPPING ETC
* The door pulls appear in black, yellow, and red...is this tied to the stitching of the interior or the seatbelt spec? I had yellow seat belts on my CS and they got dirty, so while I semi-want red belts, I want black door pulls.
YEP THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO

* I'm having a hard time discerning the difference between full leather vs basic, not to mention the ancillary options thereafter. Anyone have real life examples of both in a 981?
YES I SAW IT AT THE DEALER ON A 911 I DIDNT CARE FOR THE 1/2 1/2 SO I AM ADDING THE LEATHER
* does anyone know if the either the standard or uprated headlights feature the '4 dot' DRLs or is that not an option on the 981 lights at all?
I BELIEVE THAT THE UPGRADE ALLOWS THE LIGHT TO TURN WHEN YOU MAKE A TURN AND THAT THEY ARE 35W VS 25 W ?
Hope that helps
Regards
Ed
Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I don't understand why the larger tank would add any significant weight (beyond the small amount of material needed to envelop the larger volume). If the weight of gasoline is a concern then just don't fill it up to the max.
doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackboy
Depends on the purpose. If your purpose is to minimize re-fills (like for a day at the track or if racing enduros or if you just plain hate going to the gas station), you fill up the larger tank to the brim each time. If your purpose is to minimize weight, you only fill it partially. The smaller tank doesn't give you that choice.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone make sure to get sport buckets, that will be the top of my list in a few years when I pick one up used.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Seriously ... ?
First off I would worry about getting the car rather than the tank size
Second we are talking grams here ...
This is not F1 is it ?
Third see below: hf1

Originally Posted by hf1
Depends on the purpose. If your purpose is to minimize re-fills (like for a day at the track or if racing enduros or if you just plain hate going to the gas station), you fill up the larger tank to the brim each time. If your purpose is to minimize weight, you only fill it partially. The smaller tank doesn't give you that choice.
Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Everyone make sure to get sport buckets, that will be the top of my list in a few years when I pick one up used.
LOL
Are they that uncomfortable ?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
LOL
Are they that uncomfortable ?
I was being sincere, that is the number 1 option I would pick if buying one new.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously ... ? First off I would worry about getting the car rather than the tank size Second we are talking grams here ... This is not F1 is it ? Third see below: hf1 LOL Are they that uncomfortable ?
I didn't raise the issue of weight, I was questioning the logic of choosing a bigger tank then worrying about the weight of the extra fuel.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I didn't raise the issue of weight, I was questioning the logic of choosing a bigger tank then worrying about the weight of the extra fuel.
I'm was being an idiot ...
I was actuality just joking
My apologies

But there is a big difference between the two ..
One you need to run the car,
the other might make it go a nano second faster if that ...
Frankly I don't even see the reason for the option?
Or could it be that Porsche saves money offering this option
Like Radio delete
A/C delete etc
Regards
Ed
Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Frankly I don't even see the reason for the option?
Or could it be that Porsche saves money offering this option
Like Radio delete
A/C delete etc
I very much doubt that designing, building and certifying a distinct fuel tank would save Porsche any money - quite the opposite, in fact. I would hazard that it's going to be part of their homologation effort and is designed to be able to lower the curb weight. I'm getting the impression that they're making to serious effort to design this car as the foundation for a race series.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:57 PM
olmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The larger tank is only 2.65 gal more than std: 16.91 vs 14.26. If I can actually buy a GT4 I'm gonna get the extended tank; it just gives you more options for when to refuel.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:58 PM
olmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Roger that. However, you're gonna have to find another car to buy; mine is gonna be a keepa.

Quick Reply: GT4 configurator: best options to choose?