Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preference Question: Sport Chrono or PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:15 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Preference Question: Sport Chrono or PASM?

Looking at some CPO 2014 Cayman S and may be faced with choice between one that has Sport Chrono and one that has torque vectoring and PASM (no Sport Chrono). I am retired and considering Cayman S as fairly exotic "fun" sports car (years ago had British sports cars including Sunbeam Tiger and XKE). Don't intend to track car and would like a good balance of compliant ride and excellent handling (I like my BMW 550 balance of ride/handling and responsive power but it is not as nimble as I expect Cayman S would be).

Given that history, and your experiences with Cayman, which Hobson's choice--Sport Chrono and standard suspension or PASM/torque vectoring--would you suggest?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:18 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts

I hung out during a track day last summer with a guy who had a 13 S with PTV/PASM, he loved it and certainly had no problems going fast. He had a MT and was fairly good at H/T.

If the car with sport chromo is a PDK and has sport suspension that might even the playing field some. If the car has the stock suspension then I think it's a no brainer to go with PTV/PASM. PASM gives you the best of both worlds.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would avoid PTV, given you a synthetic feel not everybody appreciates. Standard suspension good enough or get the sport suspension. Sport Chrono not a must for me, but nice to have. Would rather decide based on seats, PDK or manual (whatever is your preference), desired rims... retrofitting seats or rims is ridicously expensive.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for comments. Due to limited Porsche inventory here and long drive to other Porsche dealers I miss my standard options of test driving cars with various powertrains/options to get feel of car. So I appreciate comments. Regarding Sven76 wheel comment, I think I would prefer 19 inch wheel vs 20 inch wheel because there are snow tire sizes available for 19 inch wheel and not for 20 inch wheels and I don't want two sets of wheels/tires. I would not drive Porsche on snowy/icy roads, but we have many days when roads are clear but it is very cold (15 F) and I don't think summer performance tires can get up to operating temperature so tricky to drive on.

Quick Reply: Preference Question: Sport Chrono or PASM?