Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2015 Cayman GTS Suspension Choices

I am considering ordering a 2015 GTS.

Any opinions on:

Sport suspension vs PASM?

Torque vectoring option?

Does anyone know the spring rates on the sport suspension?

It will be a daily driver with some track days. I do intend to put proper seats, roll bar and harnesses in as soon as I get it.

Thanks

Rick

Last edited by Qwickrick; 01-25-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: skipped a word
Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm thinking the same way about a GTS order. My inclination is to go with the PASM and PTV. PASM because of the increased clearance for inclined driveways here in Central FL area and also for comfort vs sport. But the X73 might also be a good choice. Not sure which...
I had a 2000 Boxster S with M030 Sport Suspension for 6 years and loved it. Ride was great, but it did have the 17"ers on it. It was a lot of fun, even on a high speed track like Road America at Elkhart Lake. If u find a great deal for a GTS order, please let me know. I'm not sure what a great deal would be. I built a GTS the way I want it on the Porsche website, and the MSRP was $82,750.

Anybody, have any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

cheapest suspension you can order.
remove
put jrz or mcs or ohlin
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

PASM is standard on the GTS/if you order at no charge the SPORT SUSPENSION, you lose PASM which is the way I'm leaning. Anyone have experience with the Torque Vectoring option?
Website seems to indicate the option includes mechanical control differential which would be a good thing. Always amazed how difficult it is to get real specs from a dealer.

Thanks

Last edited by Qwickrick; 01-25-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: another question added.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 85 Posts

Torque Vectoring simply applies the rear brake to the inside wheel.

There is a very detailed test / article in "Exellence" about the different
spring rates, roll bar diameters, etc on the "GTS" and the prior Cayman
Spyder that was very informative.

I don't have it available but I do remember it being in the last year or so.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jon H
Torque Vectoring simply applies the rear brake to the inside wheel. There is a very detailed test / article in "Exellence" about the different spring rates, roll bar diameters, etc on the "GTS" and the prior Cayman Spyder that was very informative. I don't have it available but I do remember it being in the last year or so.
I would consider the PTV if it actually included a mechanical differential. I might have to buy a back issue of Excellence to find the spring rates etc

Thanks

Rick
Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I've driven both. Simple - the X73 sport suspension. Part of what makes the car special. The fact it looks better is an added bonus.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
PASM is standard on the GTS/if you order at no charge the SPORT SUSPENSION, you lose PASM which is the way I'm leaning. Anyone have experience with the Torque Vectoring option?
Website seems to indicate the option includes mechanical control differential which would be a good thing. Always amazed how difficult it is to get real specs from a dealer.

Thanks
I absolutely read in Porsche literature that PTL does include locked differential.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call the guys at tpc racing. They are allegedly working on a kit for the PASM suspension that sounded pretty cool but my car has the sport suspension (x73? option code) so I didn't pay too much attention. I also have ptv, my understanding was there is a differential in there as well as automatic brake controlling. I have yet to romp on my car but it seed like a good idea to me.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:56 AM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would consider the PTV if it actually included a mechanical differential.
Porsche says it does:

Variable torque distribution through controlled braking on the rear wheels
Mechanically controlled differential lock with asymmetrical locking action (22% in traction, 27% in overrun) for increased agility, steering precision, traction, and vehicle stability
That's the main reason I bought it.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

PTL is definitely a great driver option. No question it will get you out of a corner quicker. handy in the wet too.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ordered PASM and PTV for our 981 Cayman S, and I'm very happy with both. PASM is a great balance...its ideal for average and bumpy roads...it soaks up bumps without the car losing composure or kicking you in the kidneys...then on nice smooth roads or curvy roads in sport mode it tightens up and is stiffer. Its much better than the earlier generation on 987s.

PASM is 10mm lower than the standard suspension, and where I live I was afraid to be an additional 10mm below PASM by choosing the sport suspension. On my old 987 with PASM here and occasionally there was some scraping (and I'm used to low sports cars and I'm very careful with them).

Love PTV, I find I can take corners at much higher speeds than I used to in my old 987S. The the cornering and grip are very impressive. IIRC, some people mentioned that if you like doing serious slides and drifting then you might not want the PTV. I don't do that stuff so its not an issue for me.

Good luck with whatever you guys order. Absolutely love our 981S. The 981 is a great car and you are sure to love it regardless of what you do or don't order.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dino944
Ordered PASM and PTV for our 981 Cayman S, and I'm very happy with both. PASM is a great balance...its ideal for average and bumpy roads...it soaks up bumps without the car losing composure or kicking you in the kidneys...then on nice smooth roads or curvy roads in sport mode it tightens up and is stiffer. Its much better than the earlier generation on 987s. PASM is 10mm lower than the standard suspension, and where I live I was afraid to be an additional 10mm below PASM by choosing the sport suspension. On my old 987 with PASM here and occasionally there was some scraping (and I'm used to low sports cars and I'm very careful with them). Love PTV, I find I can take corners at much higher speeds than I used to in my old 987S. The the cornering and grip are very impressive. IIRC, some people mentioned that if you like doing serious slides and drifting then you might not want the PTV. I don't do that stuff so its not an issue for me. Good luck with whatever you guys order. Absolutely love our 981S. The 981 is a great car and you are sure to love it regardless of what you do or don't order.
The GTS comes standard with PASM and you lose this if you go with the sport suspension.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The GTS comes standard with PASM and you lose this if you go with the sport suspension.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Just sharing my experience as I was deciding between PASM or the Sport suspension when I ordered my S. PASM and the X73 suspension are identical on the S and the GTS. The only difference is they are extra cost options on the S. Good luck with your order.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dino944
Yes, I'm aware of that. Just sharing my experience as I was deciding between PASM or the Sport suspension when I ordered my S. PASM and the X73 suspension are identical on the S and the GTS. The only difference is they are extra cost options on the S. Good luck with your order.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Going with PTV but still undecided between sport and PASM

Quick Reply: 2015 Cayman GTS Suspension Choices