Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Why are some 2014 Cayman CPO and others not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:32 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question: Why are some 2014 Cayman CPO and others not?

Looking at 2014 Caymans with anywhere from 3000 to 10,000 miles. Some are CPO and some are not (all at Porsche dealers). I understand CPO costs dealers (time inspecting, replace wear items if below spec--ie tread less than 50% remaining, brake pads, etc) so they generally charge more (maybe $1500 to $2000). But would there be some other reason that dealer would not CPO car?

For instance, maybe car had been often tracked so not only would have very high wear on brakes/tires, but maybe something that would void warranty? I will ask dealer about these things, but I may be overlooking something I should ask about.

Of course CPO might also be worth extra cost to get longer warranty (6 years instead of 4 years on 2014) so what "upcharges" have you seen for dealer to CPO car (and I think for extra cost they would replace wear items that exceed some CPO wear spec).

As you can tell I am nervous about buying used Cayman only to find something expensive wrong with it and for that reason alone CPO might be best for me.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Had a similar conversation with a local dealer and the reason for a non-CPO for a particular car was evidence of a repainted front bumper.
So, bodywork of any kind, engine overrevs, excessive wear, mechanical work needed, too high of mileage, are all reasons a car fails the CPO test for Porsche.
In addition, I suppose it is up to the dealer as to whether they want to spend the effort and money to certify any particular car even though the car may be otherwise eligible.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Depends on the dealer and their market. If the car has significant factory warranty remaining, probably not worth it for them to pay the fee to Porsche and ask more from the buyer.

On the other hand, I've seen CPO cars with altered suspension components and minimal body damage. Best to have an independent evaluation of the car or fly there in person and check it out.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:49 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I've seen CPO where that dealer did some touch up paint work. My opinion is that if CPO is not offered, it should be negotiable. Of not and it isn't a super blow ur mind away deal, walk away if the dealer is reluctant to negotiate.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:37 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for good comments. I also heard that "after market" parts or modifications can disqualify car for CPO and of course can also void any warranty depending on modification. Doing an internet search I found a 2014 Cayman S CPO at Porsche dealer that ticked most boxes and I responded to the box that said "get our best internet price." It was a good price ($2000 below what was shown on their website). I did not want to get bugged on phone with sales person so continued "conversation" via e-mail. Car was listed as CPO on their website, but when I asked for confirmation they said it was not CPO because "still had balance of new car warranty." When I asked about anything about car that could void warranty or if they would CPO car the internet guy said he would have to talk to pre-owned manager. Did not get an answer about that but instead talk switched to "an aggressive price for new Cayman S" offering 6% off list. I crossed that car and dealer off my possibles.

I would like any comments regarding what would be considered a fair price to pay a dealer to CPO car assuming a 2014 model with less than 12,000 miles on it?

Quick Reply: Question: Why are some 2014 Cayman CPO and others not?