Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Cayman in Snow & Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Hannah Skellam
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Cayman in Snow & Ice

Hi there,

I'm not a very experienced driver and today I managed to skid quite badly down a hill covered in snow.

My Cayman is an automatic and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how I can avoid or stop skidding in winter weather? (Today I just slammed on the break and after a lot of slipping about, I finally started to slow down, put the hand brake on and eventually stopped).

I really don't know anything about cars, but I do know that although my car is an automatic, I can put it into Neutral and change gears on my steering wheel. Would I be better off doing this in a snowy/icy situation?

Thanks in advance,
Hannah x
Old 01-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Kelvin38
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have snow tires, and if so, are they in good condition?
I've found that they make the world of a difference so maybe they'd help you too.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

real snow tires and going slower would help but in your case you should use public transportation year round until 2020
Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st guidance is to keep the car in auto, don't interfere with the paddles. Is it a real auto or a PDK double clutch. Let's assume it's an auto box. So why keep it in auto? Most automatic gearboxes will go to neutral if you slide heavily (and are not on the accelerator pedal), this will help you to catch the car. If you go slowly on an icy hill and cannot stop, go to neutral, otherwise the car keeps going. And drive slowly plus proper winter tires, irrespective of gearbox the car should not slide heavily in the first place.... unless you are too fast.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hannah Skellam
Hi there,

I'm not a very experienced driver and today I managed to skid quite badly down a hill covered in snow.

...(Today I just slammed on the break and after a lot of slipping about, I finally started to slow down, put the hand brake on and eventually stopped).
You should never use the hand brake to try to slow down, especially if you are sliding. You will almost always end up more out of control because the anti-lock braking cannot work with the hand brake on.

To drive the Cayman on snow you need dedicated snow tires (not just all-season tires).
You should also learn to stop, start, turn, and drive on the ice and snow when and where it is safe, by practicing in a large parking lot for instance.

I would recommend leaving the automatic in gear and not put it in neutral.

In all seriousness, wasn't all of this covered in driving school?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sliding down a hill has nothing to do with being an automatic Cayman and everything to do with not having snow tires. If you live in a place where it is cold (does not need to be on snow), you need snow tires. It's not about not getting stuck. It's about stopping in an emergency. Summer tires are hard as a rock below freezing and they do not stick. If it's below freezing, you need snow tires!

Weigh the cost of snow tires against the cost of fixing your car after you hit something (or someone). The life you save may be your own...

I had a Boxster S a few years ago. It was the best car I ever drove in the snow - until I got a Cayenne. Both cars had proper snow tires. Even with AWD! AWD does not stop any better than rear wheel drive in the snow.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:35 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Hannah Skellam
I'm not a very experienced driver and today I managed to skid quite badly down a hill covered in snow..... Would I be better off doing this in a snowy/icy situation?
Ever walk on a frozen lake or a really icy parking lot? Same principles apply...
  • Wear shoes that give you more grip on the ice.
  • Move slowly and deliberately... No sudden moves, everything smooth.
Translating into a car...
  • Dedicated winter tires are best, all seasons are ok for very occasional snow, summer tires are completely useless on the snow.
  • SMOOTH... Don't accelerate too fast, or brake to fast, or turn to fast.
  • Once you are sliding, it's difficult to recover (as you found out). You can try and steer into the slide to recover.

You can also try and find a good place to practice. A big parking lot covered in snow without any curbs, light poles, and no other cars. Somebody who knows how to drive in the snow to help you out...
Old 01-30-2015, 02:23 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The local BMW and Audi clubs here in Minneapolis both offer winter driving/safe driving events, in which you drive on ice and learn how to handle a sliding car. You might want to check with your local clubs and see if anything like that is offered in your area.

Other than that, I'll just reiterate the advice given: 1) snow tires (I finally got a set for my lowly daily drive - a Mazda - and my word, what a difference they make), 2) do everything smooth, nice and easy and 3) find a nice big empty snow covered parking lot to do some donuts and learn!

Enjoy your Cayman - nice car!

Quick Reply: Automatic Cayman in Snow & Ice