Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced battery - gauges wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Replaced battery - gauges wont turn on

So my OEM Porsche battery on my 06 Cayman S finally went tats up after 5 years. Ran down to AAP to get a new battery. Installed the Autocraft 770 CCA into the car, connected the vent tube. Car started right up.

One problem:

My gauge cluster won't work. The LCD stuff, idiot lights, and even the gauge needles do nothing. The turn signals will work, but I dont get the clickity click. The headlights will turn on. My aftermarket Kenwood dbl din works fine and never lost settings as I had my Porsche OEM cig charger connected to the car while I went and got the new battery. HVAC electronics/display works fine.

Ive read where some people have gotten idiot light issues after installing a replacement battery and certain issues required certain song and dances to get them to go away, like rolling windows up/down, etc. Gotta figure someone has run into this issue like mine and had the solution.

Ive restarted the car, drove it around the block, rolled windows up/down and did an additional up/dowm on them after they were already fully up or fully down (read this somewhere). Im at a loss.

Help.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the battery in my '11 changed last month.

Knowing that I have to "register" a new battery in my BMW, I took it to a trusted independent to be on the safe side and watched as the work was done.

The car threw a bunch of codes when started after the changeout. Told that this is normal, the tech used PIWIS to reset a bunch of parameters. Drove away with all operating normally.

Don't know if a similar issue occurs with an '06, but a call to a trusted independent shop couldn't hurt.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Ended up checking the fuse box in the driver footwell. Instructions said instrument cluster was slot B-1 (15 amp fuse). For grins I pulled it and it looked perfectly fine to me. The wire between the prongs didnt look burnt out. I replaced it with a spare in the fuse box and that did the trick to my surprise.

On another note, someone stole the little plastic fuse puller tool out of my fuse box. Arrghh!! Had to resort to needle nose. Gonna buy a cpl extra fuses of each kind to replenish the spare slots in the box.

Crisis averted. No other errors on the dash other than my CEL which I get all the time for my Remus.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to learn that it was a simple fix.

Quick Reply: Replaced battery - gauges wont turn on