Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R No Chronos question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cayman R No Chronos question

I'm considering buying A Cayman R, I saw one that I like but has no Chronos. If I retrofit the sport button and software, beside the stopwatch is there any other differences?

Thank you
JV
Old 11-16-2014, 10:19 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No difference, they will install the button and flash your ecu.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you
Old 11-17-2014, 12:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

So a Cayman R with no sport chrono has no sport button?
Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any Cayman without sport chrono has not sport button.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:34 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

I think if your car has PDK, you will need additional programming to get full "sport" functionality.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

hobojoe is correct, the single dealer flash will give full functionality for the specific car,
whether manual with sport or PDK with sport/sport plus. The Suncoast page
describes all the features of adding the Sport Mode Software.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=987CR_perf
Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

what does the sport button do?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:17 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

This is Porsche's explanation, if you have additional questions I'll try to answer:
(PASM doesn't apply to R/Spyders)

Selecting the ‘Sport’ button on the centre console activates ‘Sport’ mode, which makes throttle response significantly more immediate, adjusts the rev-limiter to a harder setting, tunes the engine dynamics for performance driving and activates the optional sports exhaust system.

The optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to ‘Sport’ mode, which offers harder damping and more direct steering and, therefore, better road holding.

With the optional PDK in automatic mode, gearshift points are delayed until the upper rev range. The shift times are shorter, the gear changes sportier. At low rates of deceleration, the system initiates a swifter, brake-induced downshift. In manual mode, gear changes are faster and more dynamic.

In ‘Sport’ mode, the PSM intervenes later for increased longitudinal and lateral dynamics. PSM now affords greater manoeuvrability under braking and exit acceleration, especially at low speeds.

For maximum dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in ‘Sport’ mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required on both the front wheels.

A key component of the Sport Chrono Package is the swivel-mounted timer in the centre of the dashboard with analogue and digital display. In combination with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), the Sport Chrono Package offers two additional functions that are activated by the Sport Plus button.

First, ‘Launch Control’, which ensures you achieve the fastest possible rate of acceleration from a standing start – on the race track, for example. ‘Launch Control’ is operated via the Sport Plus button with the ‘D’ or ‘M’ drive position selected. Whilst the driver depresses the brake pedal with the left foot, the right foot depresses the accelerator pedal to the floor. With the accelerator in the kickdown position, the system detects the driver’s request for Launch Mode and revs the engine to an optimum speed of approximately 6,500 rpm. Engine torque increases and the clutch closes slightly. The message ‘Launch Control active’ appears on the instrument cluster display. The driver now quickly releases the brake – and prepares for maximum acceleration.

Second, the ‘motorsport-derived gearshift strategy’. Using this, PDK is geared up for maximum shift speed, the shortest possible shift times and optimum shift points for maximum acceleration – ideal for the racetrack.

On request, the new, optional Porsche Communication Management (PCM) can be combined with the Sport Chrono Package Plus. In addition to the functions of the Sport Chrono Package, it includes a personal memory function in the new PCM and a performance display for evaluating lap times.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
what does the sport button do?
I like to call the sport button the Fun button, the Sport Plus is the Funner button. Yes I know that is not a word, but it describes it best.

there is the whole official explanation above, but it takes a car from boring to awesome with the press of a button.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

thanks folks,

I am looking at a CR that has no sport chrono.

Now I know it is something I would want to add to get the ECU upgrade.

Quick Reply: Cayman R No Chronos question