Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'15 Cayman GTS tint disaster :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '15 Cayman GTS tint disaster :(

hey guys - i have a tint emergency!

i had tint installed in my new Cayman GTS on friday evening. the shop recommended LLumar brand, so the passenger and driver side windows got LLumar CTX 40 installed on them (i did CTX 15 for the back glass and CTX 30 for small rears)

everything is great, but there is one big problem: when i am inside the car and looking outside through the driver or passenger door window, there is a pretty visible and nasty blue/purple hue which makes it looks like i am looking at the world through a blue foggy cloud.

have you guys ever experienced this or heard of anything like it? is it just a matter of removing the LLumar tint and trying something else like 3M? anything with Cayman windows which could create this type of effect?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Llumar ceramic tint installed in all of my cars. I recall a similar issue with one car that disappeared within a few days.
Give the film some time (a week or so) to fully dry/cure. If the issue persists, have the tint shop replace tint on the affected windows.
(Might want to bring it to their attention immediately ... They'll likely give you the same advice; but at least you've brought the issue to their attention in a timely manner.)

Last edited by Turborascal; 11-03-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added tint type
Old 11-03-2014, 03:33 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

I also have the Llumar dark grey blackish tint on my 15CS. I have 30 all around and it is perfect. Give it a couple days to let all the moisture evaporate. If not OK have your installer due over. Llumar is excellent film.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimD
I also have the Llumar dark grey blackish tint on my 15CS. I have 30 all around and it is perfect. Give it a couple days to let all the moisture evaporate. If not OK have your installer due over. Llumar is excellent film.
Tim - what type of LLumar film did you get? CTX? they make different types of film.

it has been 3 days already since install and the blue/violet hue is not getting any better. will give it another week but if it doesn't go away, will have to try a different film.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dyed films used 20 or so years ago had a tendency to turn purple after a time; but that's not your issue.

The newer metallic or ceramic Llumar films remain color-stable for many years; albeit sometimes with strange post-installation coloration until fully dry.

I wouldn't give up on Llumar ... but would have the tint shop replace the film if the issue persists for a week. They should do this at no charge to you.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:40 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

JKB sorry just checked my paper work and they don't say which Llumar tint they used, just 30%. All I know is that it is the dark grey or blackish tint. I wanted it to contrast with my white CS.

Quick Reply: '15 Cayman GTS tint disaster :(