Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close to ordering a GTS and have some questions about options

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
lee_337
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Close to ordering a GTS and have some questions about options

This is my first post here, I have taken a look and can’t find questions to my specific questions.

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2015 Cayman GTS. While sales people try to be helpful, I have found it rare to find one with all the answers.

This will be my second Porsche, I regret selling my 06 993 whenever I think about it!

I test drove a Cayman S last week and loved the car, it has such great balance.

Here is my build;

Individual equipment

P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System
P9I Premium Plus Package GTS with Adaptive sports seats Plus, electrical (18-way)
0Q White (or maybe Silver)
GQ Black leather interior incl. Alcantara Package GTS Carmine Red
498 Deletion of model designation
638 ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
712 Deletion of model designation "GTS" on side doors
748 Electrically folding exterior mirrors
220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) incl. mechanically locking rear differential
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
X73 Sports chassis, 20 mm lower Exclusive
423 20-inch Carrera S wheel
XDH Wheels painted in Platinum (satinmat) Exclusive
027 Instrument dials in Carmine Red
088 GTS Communication package
509 Fire extinguisher
583 Smoking package
P07 Adaptive sports seats Plus, electrical (18-way) with memory package
S9Y Factory collection Leipzig incl. dynamic driving instruction
TDN European Navigation on PCM

I am pretty okay on the mechanical options, I am pretty sold on the locking diff, PASM and PDK. The questions I have can better be answered by someone who has lived with the car for a while.

The things I need help on are really fluffy options, I just can’t figure out if they are worthwhile. While I crack up at the $1,270 air vent slats in leather, and to each their own, I want to strike a balance between wishing I should have spec'd something I missed, and having a $200k Cayman.

1 - Bose & Nav

Is it worth the dough? I have a 2013 VW Touareg and a 2011 1 Series M Coupe (which I love and will be keeping). I find the electronics (iDrive) to be way better than the VW package. The BMW system starts up faster, and just works better. How do you find the system in the Cayman? The sales guy said the Burmester system was really nice, but overkill, and the Bose system was pretty good. I listen to mostly British pop music (Duke Dumont, John Newman, Disclosure) and while I enjoy some Bach and Miles Davis, not usually in the car.

2 - Premium Plus Package

Again, comparing the BMW to the VW. I have limited space and have to shuffle my cars, being paranoid, I like that I can lock the BMW while it is running, with the VW this is not easily accomplished, which is a pain in the ***. For example, I do a lot of road trips in the Touareg, and I have dogs, in the summer I would like to leave the A/C going while I am taking a leak at a rest area. In order to do that I have to take apart the door handle and use the ‘emergency’ key. Could someone with this feature tell me if you can lock the car from outside while it is running? How well does it work, with my Touareg, you have to be right beside the car, not an arms length away, right beside it...

3 - PCCB

While, I don’t think I will hesitate to take this car on a track, the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) add almost 10% to the price of the car. Worth it?

4 - What am I missing, or don’t need

I would love to hear from people who have lived with the car, what did you order on your car and regret? What did you regret not ordering?

5 - Seats

In Europe, you can order the carbon fiber sport seats, I would really like those, does anyone know how to get them? I know with the 1M there were some awesome seats offered in the Fatherland, but the airbags were not compatible with North American cars. I seem to remember reading somewhere that similar seats will be available in November for the GT3.

6 - Price

I am purchasing the car in Canada, what is a reasonable discount to expect on this car?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Lee
Old 10-27-2014, 07:51 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Discount on a GTS ?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:45 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

I have a Guards Red with Alcantara GTS Package interior on order. My last car was a 981 Cayman S.

I didn't order the Nav (Infotainment) this time, because its expensive and my Iphone does the job great. I did order the Bose because it includes an amplifier (I believe 250w vs 50w std) and additional speakers for little dough.

Don't know on the Premium Pkg. In my case, a non-sporty option so it was not ordered.

PCCB's add too much to the cost and the standard S brakes work amazingly well. Also, replacing them after they are worn out cost substantially more than the option price. Way too much.

The standard sport plus seats are very nice, but the sport bucket with Carbon Fiber backs would set you back at least $8K if they were available in US, but they are not.

Most dealers will try not to discount the GTS, but I would say the average has been about 3-4% off. The Euro delivery cost the dealer about $3K, so expect no discount for sure if you go with the E.D.

If you can live without these 3 options; Infotainment, 18 way seats, and GTS Interior Pkg, you will save over $10K. Thats big money for options that just slightly improve the overall experience. In my case, I couldn't live without the light stitching so I splurged and got the GTS Interior Pkg with Rhodium Silver (which IMO looks substantially better than the red, but that is a personal choice).

Overall, I would suggest to try to stay within the "spirit" of the Cayman GTS which is the most sporty Cayman. Niceties like the electric mirrors, parking cameras, and 28 way seats belong on a Panarama or Cayenne. The purer (and lighter) you make the Cayman, the happier you will be overall (and spend less $ in the process).

Good luck and let me assure you that whatever you order you will be happy you did it.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Bose infotainment pkg on my Cayman GTS. I kinda regretted it. I mainly use Google map on my phone, so I should've just ordered CDR Plus and Bose surround sound and skippped the Navi. I had it in my GT3RS and only used it less than 5 times.

You don't really need PCCB for track on a car with 340hp. It's not worth it. The stock setup with better pads, brake lines, and fluids will be sufficient.

As for the seats, maybe buy them from the dealer when they are available for the GT3.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It all depends on how concerned you are with overall cost and resale value. If so I would drop the PCCB package, go with standard sport seats, drop electronic mirrors, and maybe parking sensors. Keep Bose, Nave, sport suspension, and GTS interior package as they will be desired options for resale.

While PCCB looks awesome, like others say they aren't needed and most owners swap out the carbon rotors for iron when they track their cars.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
It all depends on how concerned you are with overall cost and resale value. If so I would drop the PCCB package, go with standard sport seats, drop electronic mirrors, and maybe parking sensors. Keep Bose, Nave, sport suspension, and GTS interior package as they will be desired options for resale.

While PCCB looks awesome, like others say they aren't needed and most owners swap out the carbon rotors for iron when they track their cars.
+1
Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am also debating a cayman GTS.

I would definitely go bose. I chose to just stick with the 2 way (or is it 4 way?) adjustable seats. You really don't need 14 or 18. I mean at least I don't. Why spend the extra 3k?

I would have to get the GTS interior package because with all that black, the white stitching adds some much needed contrast. Plus you get that great carbon fiber.

If you don't get 14 or 18 way seats you don't need premium package plus. Just add the convience package and the 2 extra things that are missing, it will be cheaper.

I debated PCCB, but I decided unless the car comes with ceramic brakes, not worth optioning unless money is no object (in which I'd go GT3 over a cayman any day).

It's unfortunate the bucket seats aren't available in the US. I would definitely get them.

I'm thinking of holding out till the cayman GT4, because if that is right around 100k with the options, that will be the car to have for GT3 wannabes like me who can't afford it yet!! lol.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 PM
lane_a
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee

You listed one of the options your considering: 088 GTS Communication package

I haven't seen this on the PCNA build site. Can you please advise what this is?

Thanks so much,

Lane

Quick Reply: Close to ordering a GTS and have some questions about options