Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice re: buying a used Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 AM
The car-nut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice re: buying a used Cayman S

Dear Cayman gurus:
I have been a Mercedes and BMW driver for over 30 years, but am about to cut the umbilical cord and move to a Cayman S. However, I am not new to Porches, as I own a 1980 911 SC and a 1986 911 Carrera wide-body. Nevertheless, I do not know much about new Porsches.

So, I was wondering if I could possibly use your wisdom for making my decision in regard to buying the right car, with the rather limited budget that I have in hand.

I believe I can buy either a 2008 or a 2009. My research has shown that there is apparently a technical issue with the 2008 (cannot remember the exact issue), which has been resolved in 2009 and onward cars (according to the article the issue has been overblown). The deals on low-mileage 2008s are much more attractive than those for 2009. In fact, there are quite number of 2008 for sale, and very few 2009s.

So, I would appreciate getting your feed back about this matter. Here are my questions:

1. Is there much difference between the two year models?
2. What price would be reasonable for a relatively low-mileage (say between mid-20K to low 30K mile cars).
3. Given the fact that I live in east cost of Canada, and that my choices are extremely limited, what avenue should I be trying to find a decent car (many have advised me against the eBay!)
4. Should one trust dealers (not Porsche dealers), that have relatively high rating according so-called customers feed-backs on the Internet.
4. . . . and any other words of wisdom?

Unfortunately, my selection becomes somewhat limited, because I am very **** about car color; I am only looking for black or very dark cars. There is currently a beautiful yellow 2008 for sale on the forum's marketplce, but unfortunately I am too old for those colors (people would definitely detect I am on mid-life crises!).

In closing, sorry for the long-winded note!

The car-nut
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The 2008 is the last year for Gen 1 which has oiling issues, P/S issues and a small chance of IMS issues. The 2009 is the first year of Gen 2 with the DFI engine and none of the mentioned Gen 1 problems.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:28 AM
The car-nut
Advanced

Dear Bill
Thanks for your input; any advice on the other questions I posed?
Cheers,
TCN
Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The front and rear of the '09+ cars is slightly restyled, and the "S" model (but not the base model) has Direct Fuel Injection (DFI). I believe there are other very minor styling changes.
The new engines also do not have an IMS bearing which eliminates one source of engine failure (though the failure is very rare).
The horsepower is bumped up a little bit in both base and "S" models.
'09 was also the first year for the PDK double clutch automated manual transmission if that is appealing to you.

My understanding is that the oiling issues, and probably the P/S issues that Bill Lehman mentioned are really only concerns for the '06-'08 cars if you plan to track your car.

From what I see pricing varies across the US and perhaps Canada too, so someone in your local area really needs to comment on current pricing.

I believe non-Porsche dealers can be a good source for buying a Cayman. You should have a good PPI performed on any car you buy regardless of whether it is at a Porsche dealer, other dealer, or private party.
But in many ways I prefer to purchase from a private party because you get to meet the prior owner and you are able to discuss the car's maintenance, how the car was used, past history, past owners, etc. Most or all of that is lost when the car hits a dealers lot.

In the western US, I find AutoTrader, Cars.com, and even Craigslist to be sources for used vehicles. I'm not a fan of Ebay for buying cars.

I would lean toward the '09, but I would take into account the condition and mileage of whatever car I found. If the right deal on an '06-'08 showed up, I would not hesitate.
I think someone posted that he bought an '06 "S" with something like 8K miles on it just the other day.
Hope this helps and let us know what you end up with!

Last edited by Spokayman; 10-09-2014 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM
The car-nut
Advanced

Spokayman
I appreciate the time you took to give such a detailed feed-back.
Cheers,
The car-nut!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 AM
Global Autosports
Banned

Quick Reply: Need advice re: buying a used Cayman S