Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced 2008 Base Cayman with 2010 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:32 PM
BryantH
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced 2008 Base Cayman with 2010 Cayman S

I loved my 2008 base Cayman so much I snapped at the opportunity to buy a low mileage (23k) immaculate 2010 Cayman S (equipped with PASM).

I've noted many things I like, but here are a couple I don't like so much.

The 6 speed has a light vague feel to it. My '08 had a (wonderfully) mechanical moderate effort shifter that felt great. I've seen plenty of people talk about getting the factory SSK for the S. Has anyone experienced how much better the shifter felt on the base vs S? Or is this something unique to me?

I haven't driven this car on the track yet (I'll be upgrading brake lines to SS and installing the GT3 Master Cylinder before any track laps), so my experience with PASM has been limited. It feels maybe too stiff for the street which is fine, but it also feels like it increases steering weight (decreasing power assisted steering). The weight of the steering wheel with PASM on actually feels closer to my base Cayman. When PASM is off the steering feels almost luxury car light. Is this just all in my head or did they calibrate the steering assist differently? Ideally I'd like to reduce the steering assist and get a little more feel back in the steering. This is another area I think the '08 Cayman just felt a bit better in.

Other than that, I could definitely tell washing the car that some of the subtle visual changes made washing and waxing easier. Not that I had any concerns about either car somehow not getting pampered between hard track driving.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

PASM is an adaptive suspension that is always 'on'. It can be set in normal mode or sport mode.

Supposedly, in normal mode it is a bit more compliant than a non-PASM car. Plus, it has the adaptive feature. In sport mode, it will be a bit stiffer than a non-PASM car. The PASM setting has no affect on the steering.

I've never driven an early base Cayman, however I've never heard a complaint about the shifter in a Cayman S. Perhaps something needs to be adjusted?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:52 AM
BryantH
Track Day

PASM is an adaptive suspension that is always 'on'. It can be set in normal mode or sport mode.

Supposedly, in normal mode it is a bit more compliant than a non-PASM car. Plus, it has the adaptive feature. In sport mode, it will be a bit stiffer than a non-PASM car. The PASM setting has no affect on the steering.
I'd just characterize it is 'underdamped' allowing additional rebounds when a properly damped car would not continue to bounce. But thanks for explaining that. Is there any in car tuning that can get the 'off' range closer to a non PASM car? Underdamping just feels like bad tuning to me.

Is it possible the power steering is adaptive too? I swear sometimes it feels American car light (think Buick) and other times not too bad. I'm from the era of no power steering so I would actually enjoy minimal assist. Just enough to make parking easier. Little to none once the car is moving.

I've never driven an early base Cayman, however I've never heard a complaint about the shifter in a Cayman S. Perhaps something needs to be adjusted?
That's certainly possible, though I'd say reading posts on Rennlist regarding SSK, there's a lot of people who say the SSK setup is how the car should have come in the first place, so I think a fair number of people agree on the shift linkage.

I'm just surprised the is such a pronounced difference between the rifle bolt action of my 08 base and the 10 S. Not that shift linkage feel is historically a German strength as compared with say the Japanese, but I'm probably going to get the SSK based on what others comment about it.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

If you'd like a chance to the PASM settings I think TPC's DSC is the only option (short of changing shocks and springs).

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ntrol-dsc.html

-shawn
Old 10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
BryantH
Track Day

I think TPC's DSC is the only option
Thanks that's a great lead! I'm going to focus on the SSK and GT3 Master Cylinder/Steel Braided brake lines first, and see how the PASM grows on me, but it's good to know I have this option.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:54 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Why get the GT3 master cylinder?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Why get the GT3 master cylinder?
Less pedal travel and quicker response. Shown below is a great DIY by 4forme.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-cayman-r.html

Quick Reply: Replaced 2008 Base Cayman with 2010 Cayman S