Sponsored by: APR

Owners with PCCB's

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Owners with PCCB's

Do any of you wish you had not purchased the PCCB's?

If so, what are your reason(s)?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 PM
simon85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told by at least 4 porsche mechanics that the pccb are not made for heavy track days. The rotors/pads will last as long as the regular ones. If you want better brakes, change the brake fluid for gulf1000 or motul660 and buy some carbotech pads. The xp-10 or xp-12 are great. Best pads I ever had, but they are really noisy. Last time I checked, pagid wasn't making any pads for the 981. Porsche pads last 1 track day for me. Carbotech xp12 are good for 7-8 heavy track days. Don't forget to remove your center caps or they will be melted. Also your red caliper will change colors :-). You will have to powdercoat them when you will sell your car.

The 981 need bigger brakes when you track your car heavily. Hopefully, the cayman gt4 will be released... Brakes should be much bigger!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Love the looks, love the lack of dust, love how long they last.

Didn't like the cost to finally replace the pads/sensors/etc. Biggest issue for me is due to their size and nature, I can't easily swap on 18" track wheels. Only certain offsets clear the size of the rotor, but more importantly, I didn't want to swap wheels often as I was scared I might accidentally damage the rotor (I didn't have the guides).
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Love the looks, love the lack of dust, love how long they last.

Didn't like the cost to finally replace the pads/sensors/etc. Biggest issue for me is due to their size and nature, I can't easily swap on 18" track wheels. Only certain offsets clear the size of the rotor, but more importantly, I didn't want to swap wheels often as I was scared I might accidentally damage the rotor (I didn't have the guides).
There is no excuse to not have the guides to use to protect the rotors when removing/installing wheels over PCCB's.

IIRC my 03 996 Turbo tool kit came with one guide pin and it came with the iron brakes. I bought another just to be safe.

IIRC the techs told me cars that come from the factory with PCCB's come with two guide pins.

Even if they don't the guide pins are not expensive.

You drop the wheel on one rotor and you'll wish you have used the guide pins.

And you can be sure that if you take the car in for tires at any place but a dealer service department the tire changer will drop at least one wheel on a rotor even if you have the two pins in the car's toolkit. These techs do this all the time. Watch them if you don't believe me. But this happens with iron brakes so all it does it damage the inside of the wheel where the customer can't easily see.

Quick Reply: Owners with PCCB's