Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might buy a 2006 cayman. need some advice :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:29 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might buy a 2006 cayman. need some advice :)

Just curious if this is a good year or porsche for that matter? Been along time S2 owner, which was sold awhile back.
Time to try some thing new!
Is there anything I should be aware of while looking at this car?

Thanks for your help

http://openroadinfiniti.ca/used-infiniti-cars/12685/2008-Porsche-Cayman
Old 09-11-2014, 03:18 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The car in the ad that you posted is a 2008, not 2006 but the '06 to '08 models are nearly identical in terms of engines and body styles. All '06s are "S" models though.

The '08 car looks nice from the photos. The ad says its an automatic, but it is a manual.
I've only experienced an S model which is about 50-55 more HP, but many people like the non-S just fine and actually think the smaller engine is quicker revving and "more alive".
The price might be a few grand high if it were in my market area (Washington State), but I've come to understand that prices vary considerably from one area of the US to another. I don't know about the market in Canada.
I personally like the Speed Yellow color, but it might not be as popular as other colors and thus it might sell for less, and might be a bit more difficult to sell again later.
As far as what to look for, just the usual things like maintenance records, Carfax or similar history, accident damage, etc. There are no real IMS issues with the Cayman engines as there were with the earlier Boxsters and 996s. That's not to say no one has experienced IMS or other failures, but rather that the frequency of failures is much much lower.
Regular oil changes are very important. Also look for brake fluid changes and possibly plugs and serpentine belt replacement which is technically a 4-year, 40K mile interval.

You might also consider looking at an '09 to '12 model if your budget permits as the engines were upgraded and there were some minor body styling changes, etc.

BTW, I came from an S2 as well ('90 cab). I still miss the S2, but my Cayman is a keeper.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Check for over revs during your Pre Purchase Inspection.

Quick Reply: Might buy a 2006 cayman. need some advice :)