Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking sensor? rear camera?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking sensor? rear camera?

I have a 2014 model year car that lacks both the parking sensor and a rear camera - it would sure be nice to add either or both if I could make the video appear on the LCD in the center console - anyone succeeded in adding this in after purchase?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

I am in exactly the same situation so would also be very interested in responses to this thread. Thx for asking the question.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 AM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
I have a 2014 model year car that lacks both the parking sensor and a rear camera - it would sure be nice to add either or both if I could make the video appear on the LCD in the center console - anyone succeeded in adding this in after purchase?
The camera set up might be a big deal--I don't know. However, it's easy and cheap ($300?) to add an after-market beeper system to the back. Places that sell car alarms and car radios often have such a system. I had it done to a 987.2 and it worked about as well as the factory beeping rear Park Assist on my new 981, though there's zero display with the after-market units. Still, it works just fine, protecting the car about as well as a much fancier set-up. I can't imagine it would be any different for also doing an after-market Park Assist on the rear, though I've yet to hear of anyone doing it. BTW, it really IS nice to have the front Park Assist, too--even just the beeper. (I have the factory front Park Assist on the new car--works just like the rear.) Good luck.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:21 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

that's a good idea - I'd probably install it myself, I have seen too many disastrous jobs by the hacks that often work at these after market installation shops - I don't really like the look of the buttons in the bumper, but maybe below the bumper or something ....????

Quick Reply: parking sensor? rear camera?