Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Cayman Stereo vs Pioneer AVH-4000NEX

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 PM
OverG
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely replace the original Cayman stereo system

For anyone thinking of upgrading the original Bose stereo in their Cayman, I will share what I did. I recommend TOTALLY replacing the head unit, amp and speakers. I went with an 8000 NEX, Focal speakers, a Focal subwoofer (under the passenger seat) and an amp to drive it all (on the floor of the front trunk).

The original 2006 factory head unit is obsolete. I loved the Bose speakers, but they and their amp do not work well if you replace the factory head unit. The Focals sound better than the Bose. I tried a Bluetooth conversion kit for the factory head unit - waste of money. I tried the NEX 8000 with the Bose speakers- they will never sound as good or have all the features they had with the factory unit. I finally installed the NEX with other speakers, a subwoofer and a good aftermarket amp. Save yourself time and money and do this first.

Once you have replaced everything, as technology changes, it is easy to upgrade your head unit - I originally installed a NEX 8000, but it had issues and Pioneer grudgingly replaced it with an 8100. (I cannot tell the difference between the 8000 & 8100). I love the features of the Pioneer NEX, especially that I can control my iPhone just by talking to it. The NEX also reads my text messages to me and lets me verbally reply to them. The Pioneer GPS display and features are better than anything out there, including the iPhone's which will work on the NEX if you want. I had the system professionally installed. It was worth the extra $$ and the amp is hidden under a panel that now looks like the floor of my front trunk.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am reviving this thread since I am in the process of obtaining a 2006 Cayman S with its original Bose Surround Sound System, that I will probably want to replace. Since I have a number of cars and this car won't get used constantly, there is only so much time and money I would want to put into updating the sound system currently in the car. I would be looking for a good if not great double DIN head unit that will integrate with Android Auto and my Android Smartphone (currently a Samsung 7 Edge, which can obviously change over time). If the existing Bose system and speakers can be used that would probably be a plus, but if the result is going to be lousy, then I could go with replacing these components. I'm not looking for an audiophile level system given that the car won't get constant use and also because I likely would not appreciate it.

I am somewhat handy however I really hate taking apart older car consoles, having done this with a couple of BMW Z3/M coupes and pretty much hating the experience. Of course, the Porsche Cayman S console may be better designed, I just don't know.

Any recommendations about what parts I should use in this process would be appreciated. I have read about Euro Motorspeed in this thread and they still exist from what I can tell by looking at Ebay. Since this thread was first started some time has passed and there may be some other or better or cheaper options now, so I am eager to hear forum members' recommendations on head units and other pieces of the puzzle, and whether I should attempt this work myself or should just pay someone else to do it.

Thanks,

ken
Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 PM
OverG
AutoX

You can by an adaptor than will allow you to use the existing Bose Speakers. When I did this, they did not sound as good as before, and I think I lost the use of the rear 2 speakers and maybe the subwoofer. The sound out of the Bose speakers is hard to beat. I have been installing stereos in my vehicles since Crutchfield was selling discount cassettes and reel-reel tapes out of his garagle to e abe, and feel it will be hard to match the Bose sound budgeting low, but at the expense of sound quality, you will gain a system that will be able to use modern features. I do not understand why Porsche puts electronic systems in its cars that cannot be updated, especially in that their cars stay on the road for generations. 'State of the Art' is a moving target.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by OverG
You can by an adaptor than will allow you to use the existing Bose Speakers. When I did this, they did not sound as good as before, and I think I lost the use of the rear 2 speakers and maybe the subwoofer. The sound out of the Bose speakers is hard to beat. I have been installing stereos in my vehicles since Crutchfield was selling discount cassettes and reel-reel tapes out of his garagle to e abe, and feel it will be hard to match the Bose sound budgeting low, but at the expense of sound quality, you will gain a system that will be able to use modern features. I do not understand why Porsche puts electronic systems in its cars that cannot be updated, especially in that their cars stay on the road for generations. 'State of the Art' is a moving target.
I thought that I read that the Euro Motorspeed adapter allows use of all the pre-existing Bose speakers in the car; is that wrong?
Old 05-07-2017, 02:05 PM
OverG
AutoX

It does. I bought mine from Loi. However I had the problems mentioned in my earlier post. I plan to keep my 2006 Cayman S for a long time and wanted things better.

I tried to keep the original Nav unit as it looked cool, but it was obsolete. I really feel I wasted money converting it to Bluetooth etc and then to trying use the Bose speakers as the bandaids never really worked well or consistently without endless tweaking. The conversion kits ultimately cost me the same as a mid range system would have.

Because the car was so cool looking (it looked new when I bought it and I have kept it that way), I went with a professional installation. I am good, but these guys blew me out of the water. None of my interior was damaged and all the speakers were re-wired with higher gauge wire. It looks factory, and sounds better than the Bose, but I went high end. It still was a 3rd the cost of a dealer installed high end system, and it sounds just as good. A friend has a new 911 with Porsche's top system, and mind sounds just as good, and can be upgraded.

If you are on a budget, own your Cayman just to drive it, and can live without your mobile phone connected to it, I would put my $$ into a Sport Mode Software switch offered by Suncoast Porsche for ~$900. It amazes me how pushing that little switch uncorks the power in my Cayman. Of all the things I did to it, that was the best. And unlike a 911, you can have fun in your Cayman and not worry about having the car follow the engine if you loose traction.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:13 PM
OverG
AutoX

If you are using Android and planning an upgrade, look at the posts made by people using Parrot's stuff. Pretty amazing what they could do.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:26 PM
champignon
Pro

It does. I bought mine from Loi. However I had the problems mentioned in my earlier post. I plan to keep my 2006 Cayman S for a long time and wanted things better.

I tried to keep the original Nav unit as it looked cool, but it was obsolete. I really feel I wasted money converting it to Bluetooth etc and then to trying use the Bose speakers as the bandaids never really worked well or consistently without endless tweaking. The conversion kits ultimately cost me the same as a mid range system would have.

Because the car was so cool looking (it looked new when I bought it and I have kept it that way), I went with a professional installation. I am good, but these guys blew me out of the water. None of my interior was damaged and all the speakers were re-wired with higher gauge wire. It looks factory, and sounds better than the Bose, but I went high end. It still was a 3rd the cost of a dealer installed high end system, and it sounds just as good. A friend has a new 911 with Porsche's top system, and mind sounds just as good, and can be upgraded.

If you are on a budget, own your Cayman just to drive it, and can live without your mobile phone connected to it, I would put my $$ into a Sport Mode Software switch offered by Suncoast Porsche for ~$900. It amazes me how pushing that little switch uncorks the power in my Cayman. Of all the things I did to it, that was the best. And unlike a 911, you can have fun in your Cayman and not worry about having the car follow the engine if you loose traction.
Thanks for your response. Regarding the Sport Mode Software Switch, can only a dealer install this? Can it be done yourself, or by a good independent?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM
champignon
Pro

If you are using Android and planning an upgrade, look at the posts made by people using Parrot's stuff. Pretty amazing what they could do.
I'm unfamiliar with Parrot, and don't find any reference to it in this thread. Do you have a link or two?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:22 AM
OverG
AutoX

I would just search the various forums for 'Parrot Asteroid'. I was pretty impressed with it doing my research a few years ago, but then switched to Apple and went with Pioneer. Nothing is 'perfect'. Just have to find best what works for you.

https://www.parrot.com/us/car-kits/p...art#in-the-box

Quick Reply: 2006 Cayman Stereo vs Pioneer AVH-4000NEX