Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Tiptronic low mileage vs Cayman PDK

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:33 PM
robin99
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman Tiptronic low mileage vs Cayman PDK

Hi guys,

I am deciding between these two Caymans. Basically the decision is between a Cayman Tiptronic very low mileage and a Cayman PDK + PASM + SC higher mileage (both 2009):

Cayman #1:
Feb-2009 @ 53,000 miles
PDK + PASM + Sport Chrono
No Cruise control, No Navigator , No Bluetooth
1st owner - always serviced at dealer
1 year dealer Guarantee

Cayman #2:
Jan-2009 @ 10,000 miles
Tiptronic + Navigation + Cruise control
Auto Stability Control + Anti-Slip Regulation (These are standard yes?)
No Bluetooth
1st owner - serviced at dealer

Other options are more or less similar, and prices are almost the same.

I am going to use the car for normal daily commute (not a long drive usually). I'm not really into racing or tracking. Any idea?

Thanks,
Robin

Last edited by robin99; 08-10-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by robin99
Hi guys,

I am deciding between these two Caymans. Basically the decision is between a Cayman Tiptronic very low mileage and a Cayman PDK + PASM + SC higher mileage (both 2009):

Cayman #1:
Feb-2009 @ 53,000 miles
PDK + PASM + Sport Chrono
No Cruise control, No Navigator , No Bluetooth
1st owner - always serviced at dealer
1 year dealer Guarantee

Cayman #2:
Jan-2009 @ 10,000 miles
Tiptronic + Navigation + Cruise control
Auto Stability Control + Anti-Slip Regulation (These are standard yes?)
No Bluetooth
1st owner - serviced at dealer

Other options are more or less similar, and prices are almost the same.

I am going to use the car for normal daily commute (not a long drive usually). I'm not really into racing or tracking. Any idea?

Thanks,
Robin
Well, the general rule is buy the best example of what you want that you can afford.

I would guess there's a considerable difference in price between a 2009 with 53K miles and a 2009 with 10K miles.

The seller of the low miles car is going to want a premium and if you pay it get ready for a big hit depreciation wise for as you drive the car and add miles that premium will go away very quick.

'course, you only experience depreciation if you sell the car. If you buy it to drive it forever…

No cruise control is a biggie for me. I use it all the time as it takes the worry about of maintaining proper speed and yet doesn't require me to keep one eye on the speedo.

Bluetooth doesn't matter to me. NAV would be nice as it is built in vs. having one hanging from the windshield or mounted on the dash. I use NAV quite a bit as it takes less attention to get to where I'm going if the destination is not that familiar to me.

PDK should deliver better fuel economy but not probably not enough to make any real difference in running costs.

My preference would be the Tip with 10K miles. (As an aside I bought a used 03 Turbo in 2009 with just 10K miles and while it has been a good car it has had a lot of problems. Some were covered by the 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty but since June 2011 I have been funding all repairs out of my pocket and there have been a few: water pump, RMS, spoiler, idler roller bearings, noisy power steering valve; leaking front diff axle flange seals, failed radiator motor. It is probably not fair to judge all used cars by my experience with my Turbo but the 10K mile car might develop a few new car problems under your ownership. I say "new" because with only 10K miles the car is still quite new and issues arise from miles driven not time passing.)

But I'm not you. Go drive both cars and decide whether you like Tip or PDK better.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with Macster about the cruise control. I would really hesitate to buy a car without one, and I am surprised that a Cayman does not come standard with that??

I would also choose the car with lower miles unless you plan to put a lot of miles on every year (15K+).

If you were interested in a car to track with, the one with PDK/PASM/Sport Chrono would make it the car of choice for most.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:55 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

If car #2 has a Tiptronic it isn't a 2009 model because they were all PDK or 6 speed cars. If it is a 2008 then it does have the possible IMS issue though rare. I would look for a 2009 or newer car with the options you want.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Agree with TimD. The car with tip has to be a 987.1 with M97 engine. The PDK car must be a 987.2 with 9A1 engine. If it's a "base" Cayman it's 2.9L but is not DFI. If it were me I would go for the 987.2 with PDK despite the miles. Assuming all else is equal- no accident history, etc. I would also set aside a budget for tires, brakes, water pump, the 60k service, fluid changes. Would rather have the 9A1 engine.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know how the Triptronic drives but I just bought a gen2 base w/PDK and the trans is amazing.

Quick Reply: Cayman Tiptronic low mileage vs Cayman PDK