Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Cayman Launch Vehicle

Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question About Cayman Launch Vehicle

First post to this forum, hope to become Porsche owner and visit often.

I am looking at a pre-owned 2014 Cayman S with build date of February, 2013.
The build sheet showed "Launch Vehicle" among options. I asked dealer about this and he said it meant the car was among "the first batch made in new body style."

So are there any known issues with the first cars made of this series (like we would expect with many cars when they first start making a new series)?

To clarify, I am not talking about launch mode that comes with Sport Chrono.

Another question is the car comes with 20 inch wheels with Goodyear F1 tires (max performance summer tires). I live in Midwest and temperatures can range from minus 20F in winter to "routine" 40F. I won't drive car when roads have ice/snow, but I have read the rubber compound on max perf. summer tires gets "hard" and inflexible at winter temperatures so not good to drive even when roads are dry. I don't see any "all weather" or snow tire options for the Cayman 20 inch wheels listed on Tire Rack so will I need to invest in 19 or 18 inch wheels and new tires to drive in winter?

Thank you for any info you can provide. Dennis
Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 PM
CptSlow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have an early build '14 Cayman S dealer demo car since last November. We've put about 8000 miles on it since then and love the car. We've had absolutely no issues. It's our first Porsche. We had been BMW owners for years prior to that.

We actually love the Porsche so much that earlier today, we traded our last BMW on a 2012 991S "launch car". It has about 10k on it, full service records, nicely loaded. I feel confident that the car isn't an "issue" car. Plus it came with CPO.

On the tire issue, we took a road trip last winter and ended up in the cold in Missouri, with a little light snow. We have the Pirelli summer tires and it was close to the most terrified I've been in a car. Might be a little better now that we know the car better.

Not sure if any of that is helpful.....
Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 PM
olmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own a Cayman (yet) but to answer your second question: yes, buy a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires. I have done this the entire time I have lived in Chicagoland (10+ years now) with my BMW and you get the best of both worlds: winter and summer performance.

There's definitely a 'gray area' between fall and winter and then spring but I usually error on the side on caution and put the winter package on early and keep it on until it's warm. It's more money and space taken up in your garage but the added confidence and safety you get are worth it.

Btw, German cars love the snow :-)
Old 08-10-2014, 04:29 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

I have had a 997S and 997 C4S launch vehicles in the past and both were great cars. Not much needed on them other than oil and gas. Any small issues were taken care of by the dealer and other than some wear sometimes they were okay. Basically they are vehicles outfitted and ordered by Porsche and shipped to dealers and Porsche NA for press and dealer demo use when a new model launches. They get these cars with specified options and color sets..all usually the same so they are cut from the same cloth so to speak. These 1st "owners" then get to drive them and often they end up being the test cars you see in press reviews and at driving events and shows when a new model is released. Thus you don't know what you get sometimes in a way. But they can result in some good deals as when they are done with them the dealers sell them at a good price with a CPO warranty. Would I buy one...yes already have before but make sure you check the vehicle out for service and condition as well as check when the warranty was punched by Porsche as it affects your overall warranty time.

Winter tires is an easier question. Get them if your temps drop below 20-30 degrees. At that temp the tires turn to hard rubber or hockey pucks and will end up doing both you and your new to you Porsche no good. The money you save on the summer tires will soon flow out of your pockets at the body shop for repairs or worse once the tires loose grip in the weather or traction due to temps and put you into a harmful situation. I bought a set for my 550i so I can keep it out of ditches when the weather gets cold/bad and the nasty stuff hits the floor. Just a word to the wise. GL
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for comments about "launch vehicle" and summer performance tire sensitivity to cold. I have routinely put Blizzaks on cars for winter use in snow and ice, but planned to drive Cayman in winter only when roads were clear.

It has been a while since I owned a car like Cayman with sportscar feel. I like the quick acceleration of BMW 550i with its big torque coming in very low in rpm and building to horsepower at higher rpm. Looked at torque and hp curves in Cayman brochure and that explains why you have to be more aggressive on throttle to get acceleration. Still no question the Cayman would out-handle BMW on curvy roads and be more nimble.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question About Cayman Launch Vehicle