Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Cayman to buy (track car)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew M
What about options, such as PASM, would I find most useful in a street/track car?
There are no 'must have' options. Get the best/cleanest car you can find for the least $, regardless of options. The base (non-PASM) suspension on the S is superb and when/if you decide later that you want it stiffer/lower there are plenty of options at a wide price range. 18" wheels for the track. Personally, I prefer the manual -- less things to break and easier to maintain.

Just put in a harness bar, euro 996 GT3 (Recaro) seats ($3-3.5k, they come up for sale a few times a year here), and track pads and you're good to go -- as long as you get a 09+ S.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Drew M
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Options- for 987.2 probably the biggest consideration is PDK vs 6MT.
I probably should have mentioned I'm definitely getting a 6 speed. Flappy panels are nice on the track, but really boring on the street.

In my experience PASM is a somewhat rare option. (I ordered my 09 with it.) It's nice but not essential.
I've heard a few things about it. I've heard it stiffens the suuspension by quite a bit. I've also heard that even in race (or sport) mode, it's still not as stiff as the cars without it. Which part is misinformation?

Sport chrono is nice but also not essential.
I'll more than likely get a standalone data system, like an AIM Solo anyways. I don't believe the Chrono package offers data.

Bose sound is common, but again opinions vary. PSE -sport exhaust sounds great but adds no power. Plenty of aftermarket exhaust options. PCCBs are somewhat rare and generally not prefered for track due to the cost of replacement and risk of chipping rotors. A lot of S models have 19in wheels vs the standard 18s. For track a set of 18s (OZ are good) is a good idea. The base seats are ok but not great. The sport buckets are the best imo, but very rare except in the R model. "Full" leather interior is nice of course. Oh, bi xenons if driving much at night. Those are the main things off the top of the head.
These are all options that I can take or leave. (The ceramic brakes would be nice, though!) I'll probably put in my own seats, and get a set of wheels with slicks on them as well.
Are the xenons an option? I'd figure that would be standard on all cars?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:29 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

PASM- my experience- sport mode was much firmer than normal mode. Compared to stock suspension, PASM normal is softer, PASM sport is firmer. Also there is a range of damping within normal and sport, so if in sport mode and on a really rough surface, it will soften up some within sport. And vice versa in normal mode. Pretty sophisticated system, but again not essential. Yeah, Sport chrono isn't much for timing/ data. It does also modify throttle response, no change in power/torque though. As best I recall bi xenon including the dynmaic cornering was an option.

Did you see the 06 for sale in the rennlist classifieds? No affiliation and I did say I'd pick an 987.2 over a 987.1, but it looked like a nice set up including seats, bar, motorsports AOS, etc.

Best of luck,
Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Drew M
Advanced

PASM- my experience- sport mode was much firmer than normal mode. Compared to stock suspension, PASM normal is softer, PASM sport is firmer. Also there is a range of damping within normal and sport, so if in sport mode and on a really rough surface, it will soften up some within sport. And vice versa in normal mode. Pretty sophisticated system, but again not essential. Yeah, Sport chrono isn't much for timing/ data. It does also modify throttle response, no change in power/torque though. As best I recall bi xenon including the dynmaic cornering was an option.

Did you see the 06 for sale in the rennlist classifieds? No affiliation and I did say I'd pick an 987.2 over a 987.1, but it looked like a nice set up including seats, bar, motorsports AOS, etc.

Best of luck,
I hadn't seen the '06 until you pointed it out. Nice car, though it seems I should stay away from the pre-'09 cars though. I'm also not a fan of silver. I wasn't going to mention it but I'm hoping to get one in the color of the car in your signature. Not sure what the name of that is, though.

PASM sounds like its worth it if I can find one.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Drew M
Advanced

Another thought, why do a lot of the cars have right around 50k on them? I imagine that's when the warranty expires, but do they start to fall apart at that point?
I'm also curious about maintenance costs.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

My R is Aqua Blue Metalic. There was also a Midnight Blue (very dark blue). Scheduled maintenance requirements are not bad at all. Annual oil changes, brake flush every 2 years, drive belt and plugs at 60k (as best I can recall). "permanaent" coolant. Personally I think the oil change interval is too long. Dealer service will be pricey but DIY is not bad. Access due to the mid engine and low clearance is a little inconvenient. For track work you'll want more frequent fluid changes. Brakes are an easy DIY. Have seen differing opinions on water pumps as a maintenance item. Some saying change every 4 years or so, then others saying no need as indication of failing pump (leaks/ noise) will be apparent.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 AM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Drew, did your RX7 come from Southern Indiana, Louisville area? Ex Chris Ludwig?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Drew M
Advanced

Originally Posted by bldn10
Drew, did your RX7 come from Southern Indiana, Louisville area? Ex Chris Ludwig?
Sure did!
This car gets recognized everywhere. I guess Chris did quite well with it.
I'm trying to sell it...if you know anyone looking for one...
Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Drew M
Advanced

My R is Aqua Blue Metalic. There was also a Midnight Blue (very dark blue). Scheduled maintenance requirements are not bad at all. Annual oil changes, brake flush every 2 years, drive belt and plugs at 60k (as best I can recall). "permanaent" coolant. Personally I think the oil change interval is too long. Dealer service will be pricey but DIY is not bad. Access due to the mid engine and low clearance is a little inconvenient. For track work you'll want more frequent fluid changes. Brakes are an easy DIY. Have seen differing opinions on water pumps as a maintenance item. Some saying change every 4 years or so, then others saying no need as indication of failing pump (leaks/ noise) will be apparent.
That doesn't all seem that bad. Oil changes, brake jobs, and the like are things I usually do myself. I'll get a Bentley manual too. How difficult are plugs, belts and the water pump?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Drew M
Advanced

Oh! This one is important. Can driver aids, (traction control, stability, etc) be turned off? The race car was over steering really bad when I first got it and now that's how I'm comfortable. Those aids drive me nuts. I can't imagine one couldn't turn them off, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

I just did some reading about PSM. Folks say it comes back on when you brake, and disallows you from trail braking. That sounds very annoying.

Last edited by Drew M; 07-31-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Cayman to buy (track car)?