Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GUARD RED FOR PORSCHE CAYMAN

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 AM
PROMETHEUS
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GUARD RED FOR PORSCHE CAYMAN

Hello fellow lovers of Porsche

First time here and really needed some advice.

I have always wanted a "red Porsche" since a young kid and finally I may be in a position to buy one.

What I would like to know, is that is Guard Red a safe colour that will not deteriorate over time and fade? It would break my heart if after 10 years the colour faded, I could see myself buying this as my "last car" so keeping it for 20+ years is what I would do.

I intend to keep this "baby" till the day she stops moving and was wandering if any experts in here can give me advice about colours.

Is Guard Red colour just as good as Metallic Grey long term???

Will guard red bought today will look the same as compared to 20 years from now. Assuming, it is garaged undercover each night, cleaned regularly and spends little time exposed to the harsh elements.

Thank you.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In the building materials world (metal roofing and siding for example) red and blue are the colors most prone to fading. Really the brightest colors fade the fastest.

But I've owned three red and two blue Porsches ranging from 1983 to 2006 and I did not notice fading on any of them. Not to say they did not fade at all, just that if they did it was not noticeable.

Porsche has had Guards Red in their color palette for 30+ years and I believe that it, along with black and silver, will always be desirable colors for resale.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Red is always a popular color for Porsches, and has good resale value. However, red oxides faster than any other color and if left out side in bright sunlight a lot it can turn sort of orange. A good detailing done yourself or by a professional shop she be able to remove the oxidized layer, but you do not want to continually do that.

All colors have their upsides and downsides. Over time white begins to yellow, black is tough to keep clean and shows swirl marks really easily, etc. The most important thing is to do is to buy the color you really like and take care of it.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM
PROMETHEUS
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dino944

All colors have their upsides and downsides. Over time white begins to yellow, black is tough to keep clean and shows swirl marks really easily, etc. The most important thing is to do is to buy the color you really like and take care of it.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I am going to stick with agate grey metallic looks great in the Caymans that I have seen.

I think it will be easier to clean and less stressful than other colours.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I am going to stick with agate grey metallic looks great in the Caymans that I have seen.

I think it will be easier to clean and less stressful than other colours.
Agate looks really nice on the Caymans. Its a great choice. Enjoy and good luck!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

This GR sure looks good after 7.5+ years. How it was cared for will make all the difference with any color.

http://www.porscheofnorthhouston.com...exas/14602021/

Eddie
Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 PM
scayden
Track Day

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
This GR sure looks good after 7.5+ years. How it was cared for will make all the difference with any color.

http://www.porscheofnorthhouston.com...exas/14602021/

Eddie
I have a 2008 GR Cayman and it looks the same or better than the day I bought it. The color really pops on this car and on a sunny day it is stunning. I think Gray is ok for a daily driven sedan, but it is just to drab on a high end sports car such as ours. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GR is one of the best Porsche colors.... I have had several GR Porsches and the paint always looks fresh.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM
SKeijmel
Intermediate

Red is a good colour here is mine

Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 AM
dgpnaples
Intermediate

Default Buy the Red Cayman and enjoy

If you have wanted a Red Porsche since you were a child, and you can afford one now, buy the Red Cayman and enjoy it til the end of time. No Guarantees on this earth, and hopefully you will outlive the car!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 AM
carlos911c4s
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it is properly cared for it should last for as long as you own your Porsche.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS

I have always wanted a "red Porsche" since a young kid and finally I may be in a position to buy one.

Will guard red bought today will look the same as compared to 20 years from now. Assuming, it is garaged undercover each night, cleaned regularly and spends little time exposed to the harsh elements.

Thank you.
LOL
if you want red, buy red.
modern base coat / clear coat paints will have minimal fade effect over decades of use if you treat it as you describe above.

don't settle for grey / black / silver if you want red.

Quick Reply: GUARD RED FOR PORSCHE CAYMAN