Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS in a 2006 Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
BrianU
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS in a 2006 Cayman S?

In the past month I've picked up 2 nails in my right rear tire. First time was within 20 minutes of getting home after driving 200 miles home from Tahoe. I have no idea how long I may have been driving on the tire in that condition...I was going 75-80 most of the way home and the car handled fine. The tire never lost all of its air, just most. The result was 2 new MPSS since the hole was too big to patch and the left rear was worn to 4/32.

Then this weekend I started hearing a rhythmic tap tap tap sound of something being stuck in the tire treads. Eventually found it and realized I had been driving on it for about 15 minutes as the tire was deflating. Again, didn't really seem to affect the handling, it was just a little louder going over the white dots on the freeway on that side of the car. This time the nail is too close to the inner edge of the tire so again, it's not repairable and I have another MPSS on the way.

So aside from driving a nail magnet, I don't like not knowing I have a tire losing pressure. Sure it's great the car still handles decently with a tire that's way down on air, but I miss the TPMS that my other cars have that give me a heads up something isn't right. I believe TPMS was a rare option on the 2006 CS? If that is the case, is it simply a matter of adding sensors in the wheels or is there wiring to a dash warning light that my car is missing too?

Gotta love 3 new rear tires in 3 weeks at $306 a pop...
Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For an OEM retrofit, in addition to TPMS transmitters at each wheel, you'll need receivers in each wheel well and some PIWIS work. Since modern Porsche wiring harnesses are all customized for each car's build options, you'll also need to do some wiring. All in, an expensive proposition, but the cleanest installation.

A more practical and more cost effective solution is one of the aftermarket wireless TPMS, but no great place to install the monitor display.

This issue has been addressed before so try a search here and on planet-9.com

In the meantime stay away from construction areas

Quick Reply: TPMS in a 2006 Cayman S?