Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone need a Cayman race car built?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Does anyone need a Cayman race car built?

I have a slot opening up in early July with the fabricator. We have cranked out 4 Cayman race car builds so far this year for shops like ours; 2 shops needed cage and paint and the other 2 cars we finished up in-house here. While we have built turn-key cars in the past, we can take delivery of the car, strip it, cage it, paint it and send it back to you OR we can finish it up here.

I'm just out trying to stir up some business! Please call the shop if interested.

Thanks!

John
Old 06-27-2014, 03:24 PM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the turnaround time John?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Right now the turnaround time is actually better than it has ever been. My fabricator is on it. Across 3 weeks he has caged 1 987.2 Cayman R, he just did a custom 1.75" 4-point harness bar for a 987.2 Black Edition and he's half way done the 2012 Cayman R cage for the Brumos dealership. He started on all of the stuff less than 3 weeks ago but let's round up.

I could in theory have a car caged in 2 weeks, painted by week 3 and then it's about 3 weeks after that depending on whether or not we are swapping motors, swapping suspension, etc. It really depends on the build out level but we are used to being able to finish a Grand-Am/IMSA car 3 weeks after the cage builder finished and that used to take 3 weeks by itself so time frames are shrinking. Now that we are not racing, the car builds get executed a lot more more quickly.

P.S. ARE WE CAGING THE CAR IN YOUR AVATAR?!?!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Now I'm really glad you are so far away!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Now I'm really glad you are so far away!
Two things about this comment:

1.) My fly-in fabricator/car builder Larry still lives in Arizona and can whip up the same quality work in the same amount of time. This is the guy that built our Championship winning Rolex GX Cayman from scratch at his shop in 3 weeks. That included cage, paint, air jacks, suspension pickup points, lexan, carbon fiber body hanging and chassis "stuff."
2.) Even if Larry was not in Arizona, I have shopped around. Lots of shops charge $5K or more for a cage and their work is slower than ours and our work is as good or better. While it might be $3000 round trip to ship a car across country, I guarantee you on a large scale build, I can find enough wiggle room to save you that money somewhere so that we could build the car in our shop here. I like to line up projects and stagger them so we can attack them sequentially. When we get a car in, it gets addressed when its time comes and then finished. A lot of other shops pile on multiple projects and all that does is **** off owners and make shops like us look like we'll never hit a deadline.

I would sooner cut someone a discount on a project if it was large enough, just so that we could get the build and stay busy. Labor is our biggest service we offer.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just an update...we just completed Cayman R #2 for the summer...I believe this is the 12th Cayman race car we have built. All but 1 are currently being raced. Cayman #002 did not survive the 2010 race at the Grand Prix de Trois Rivieres!

I am following a certain pattern lately with these builds. They are 1.75" * .095" DOM safety cages just like the ones we were required to install in IMSA over the last decade. Our cages have dual NASCAR door bars for driver and passenger.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 08-13-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is the front bumper removed? Does the cage wrap around the front of the car?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Typically, at the highest form of road racing, a purpose built GT car will have the cage come through the firewall and attach to the shock towers. That is as far as the cage will go on a Porsche. A lot of us teams running in the 24 hour had attached a 1.5" * .095" "nerf bar" for protection of the radiators and this in theory would be like min-cage for your bumper! It tied to the factory bumper and was worth its weight in gold when you hit something...all radiators in tact, back up from the tire wall and keep going!

However, none of this is the case on this car for Brumos. We removed the bumper because we like to do a lot of the labor for the prep of the painting. The entire interior was painted from head to toe so we had the headlamps out and the bumpers off to prep the car for paint. It's about 20 hours alone just to put it all back together after paint and that's just the start of it.

I need to deliver it to Brumos so that they can finish bolting stuff to it and get it back to its rightful owner.

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Why is the front bumper removed? Does the cage wrap around the front of the car?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

keep me in mind if you come across a really high mile PDK cayman R in white or green.... Likewise for one with a slight accident...
Old 09-01-2014, 04:19 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
keep me in mind if you come across a really high mile PDK cayman R in white or green.... Likewise for one with a slight accident...
I am. They are still out there but numbers are dwindling because I think that the word is slowly getting out that the 987.2 PDK Cayman R is one of the best track cars for the money. They're now slipping into the high $50s for higher mileage ones and with PDK, a limited slip diff and sport bucket seats, you cannot go wrong. I do not think there is a better track car for the money for $55K right now and I am not saying that because of it's being a potential swap car or not.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are in the final week before we take her to Sebring for the shakedown. What a perfect place to shake a car down...a crowded DE at Sebring.
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

shaking down a 3.4L or a 3.8L @ Sebring?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That car is a 3.8L x51 with PDK and everything else known to man. List includes lightweight flywheel, 3-way remote reservoir shocks, RSS full monoball, Tarett bladed sway bar and a full race build. She is going to run ITC, SCCA Touring and NASA GTS. We are headed this weekend to the PBOC event at Sebring to give her the first laps on track and put her on display at the Suncoast Cars N Coffee event.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
That car is a 3.8L x51 with PDK and everything else known to man. List includes lightweight flywheel, 3-way remote reservoir shocks, RSS full monoball, Tarett bladed sway bar and a full race build. She is going to run ITC, SCCA Touring and NASA GTS. We are headed this weekend to the PBOC event at Sebring to give her the first laps on track and put her on display at the Suncoast Cars N Coffee event.
keep us posted on the lap times!
Car has everything I want in a build! ITC, SCCA touring and NASA GTS is where i wanrt to be.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

this might be considered crazy talk, but would the 991 turbo motor fit in the PDK cayman R?

would the ECU be interchangeable?

Quick Reply: Does anyone need a Cayman race car built?