Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone need a Cayman race car built?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Sweet, looks great....I'll be giving those guys a call tomorrow AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Sweet, looks great....I'll be giving those guys a call tomorrow AM.
We typically use a Momo Cup-car style wheel and something called a Rothsport quickdisconnect that was developed for the RSR that does not require actuation to put the wheel back on the hub. None of these parts have failed at all so they're all safe.

However, I have been sitting and waiting myself for a decent PDK alternative and given that this wheel allows sport plus, PSM on/off on the wheel, I am calling them too. Whoever posted that, thanks! Rennlist is a great resource!

Cheers!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:06 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a big difference in the handling with the 987 vs 981 Cayman with all items being equal?

I know the 987 need a rear 997 suspension change in order to get the most out of the handling since they basically used a 911 suspension for front and rear (correct?)

I really like the idea of a 981 3.8 race car in the future.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:49 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh Shahin - Come to the dark side! Do it! DO IT! The new car is wider and longer and has more quarter panel in the rear to add more rubber. Other than that, even tho arms have been moved in the rear (newer style rear toe link on 981), she's the same animal underneath. The 991 rear suspension got the largest upgrade since the introduction of the 996.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So for a race car the best is to buy a 987.2 and add some flares?

Is there a huge benefit for the 987.2 to do a 997 rear suspension swap to get better geometry?

(the evil gears are turning!)
Old 11-13-2014, 03:06 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Is there a huge benefit for the 987.2 to do a 997 rear suspension swap to get better geometry?

I might be missing something, but isn't this impossible due to the two setups being completely different? i.e. no upper control arms on the 98x.

Unless, as stated elsewhere, the whole underpinnings could be replaced...?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mobonic
So for a race car the best is to buy a 987.2 and add some flares?

Don't play with my emotions and hint at asking me to build the car I dream about at night when I fall asleep!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

Do eet, Shahine.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:43 PM
cpturbo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We typically use a Momo Cup-car style wheel and something called a Rothsport quickdisconnect that was developed for the RSR that does not require actuation to put the wheel back on the hub. None of these parts have failed at all so they're all safe.

However, I have been sitting and waiting myself for a decent PDK alternative and given that this wheel allows sport plus, PSM on/off on the wheel, I am calling them too. Whoever posted that, thanks! Rennlist is a great resource!

Cheers!
Just contributing like any good rennlister would!! Now wake me up when you can do a 991 GT3 swap in my 987. With the 997 rear suspension.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cpturbo
Just contributing like any good rennlister would!! Now wake me up when you can do a 991 GT3 swap in my 987. With the 997 rear suspension.

Thanks
How did I never see this reply til just now?!??!?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just a few updates:

2014 proved fruitful as we were able to build 6 Cayman race cars. A pair of Cayman R race cars were split after birth, as one went to Brumos and the other stayed here to endure the 11 hours of racing alone at the PBOC Winterfest event. Since then, the car shown in the photos and video has over 30 hours on track with a PDK 3.8L X51 setup and NOT ONE SINGLE FAILURE! We built 3 race cars for local PCA customers and then a pair of gorgeous ST cars for the new Next Level European (A.K.A. Bimmerworld) effort that runs in the Continental Tire Series' ST class.

Do we have any more takers for the 2015 season? It's not too late to start right now to have something for the Spring PCA race schedule! From grassroots gentleman racers all the way up to established professional racing organizations, we have been staying busy doing what we do best so don't be afraid to send us a car to have things done right the 1st time around...you won't regret it!

2012 Cayman R PDK with 3.8L X51 swap, Guard Transmission LSD, Revolution Mini ECU flash, RSS suspension, Tarett cockpit adjustable sway bars, HVT 3-way adjustable shocks, MSI racing wheelstuds and lug nuts, GT3 Cup front brakes, 997 S rear brakes, upgraded discs, BGB cold air intake conversion and much much more. Amount of times this car has come off track because of a limp mode situation...ZERO!<br/>
Old 03-17-2015, 06:40 PM
rx7turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Two things about this comment:

1.) My fly-in fabricator/car builder Larry still lives in Arizona and can whip up the same quality work in the same amount of time. This is the guy that built our Championship winning Rolex GX Cayman from scratch at his shop in 3 weeks. That included cage, paint, air jacks, suspension pickup points, lexan, carbon fiber body hanging and chassis "stuff."
2.) Even if Larry was not in Arizona, I have shopped around. Lots of shops charge $5K or more for a cage and their work is slower than ours and our work is as good or better. While it might be $3000 round trip to ship a car across country, I guarantee you on a large scale build, I can find enough wiggle room to save you that money somewhere so that we could build the car in our shop here. I like to line up projects and stagger them so we can attack them sequentially. When we get a car in, it gets addressed when its time comes and then finished. A lot of other shops pile on multiple projects and all that does is **** off owners and make shops like us look like we'll never hit a deadline.

I would sooner cut someone a discount on a project if it was large enough, just so that we could get the build and stay busy. Labor is our biggest service we offer.
Just out of curiousity, where is that GX Cayman now?

There was a guy running a 3.8 Cayman at Barber last Labor Day. That's not your old car is it?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Their GX Cayman just got finished being converted to PDK and ran along with that silver car last weekend. It's still in bgb's house.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's summer time in Florida which means that things are slowing down because it's too hot for some folks to be on track down here. While we have a lot of people preparing to send us cars after the season for winter projects, but if there's someone that wants a Cayman race car built mid-summer with the hopes of salvaging some Sept. / Oct. / Nov track time, please give us a call as we are anxious to build another. Since posting this we built 6 cars since this time last year. Thanks!

The Silver Bullet soaking in the glory of having won all 4 NASA GTS4 races at Sebring.

Recent Cayman R project about to be loaded up for So Cal, complete with PWR radiators, better radiator cooling, differential and LSD cooler, power steering cooler, MCS coil overs, Getty Design aero, Tarett monoball suspension, MSI racing wheel studs, MSI racing lug nuts, RSS underdrive pulleys, a kill switch and more. The car had to weight 2900lbs for its TT class rules in the POC and actually has zero power mods other than the pulleys.

Same car as above with the lightweight Forgeline GA1Rs, Hoosier R7s and the upgraded 6 piston GT3 Cup 350mm front brakes, braided lines, Pagid pads and larger master cylinder.

Revised air box design for the 3.8L X51 GTS motor's ability to breathe better.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

anyone have a used cayman racecar they need to sell?

Quick Reply: Does anyone need a Cayman race car built?