Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone need a Cayman race car built?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 07:36 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Riz,

You have your facts straight. Given that you are starting with a 987.2 base car, the gearbox transfers over. All we need is some wiring and a newer style DME and you're in business. I am can send you a detailed estimate/invoice but in theory, you would have something similar to the half dozen or so x51 GTS swaps we have done to 987.2 cars. Since that's the previous generation Siemens SDI 3.1, we can tune it, raise the RPM limit, etc. On a car making over 400rwhp, our DME/ECU flash is worth close to 30rwhp. I know it's hard to believe but there's a lot more tuning left on the table with the previous generation cars than the 991/981 cars. Given that it's a total ? as to when, if ever, the encryption will be hacked, we can make more power right now with the previous model 997.2 and 987.2 cars.

When I lay awake at night wondering how we are going to continue to find new swap customers I find some relief when I realize that a lot of road going 987.2s, 987.1s and 981s are going to want 3.8L swaps regardless of whatever Cayman GT4 comes online with whatever motor. We are here to serve those who have already made the Cayman leap of faith!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Realizing how much you guys like video/data from the track and realizing that everyone expects the Cayman to stop better and handle better than big brother, I shot the following video at the exit of T6 during the PCA event at Daytona this past weekend. I am not sure if that's a GT3RS or a 997.1 GT3 or what but it's enough to show the potential of a DFI Cayman outfitted with a 997.2 X51/GTS engine. This marks the 7th day on track with the car over the last 2.5 weeks across nearly 25 sessions and almost 800 miles; we have not had an issue yet with the PDK or any system controls. Furthermore, the addition of the larger, more efficient PWR radiators and the improved radiator ducting had the temps so cool we might consider adding tape during the winter months; we ran 189 - 191 on the engine coolant temp and 215 - 220 on the oil temp and the gearbox stayed at about 215 the entire event. I think she's ready for the 6 hour Sebring event with the PBOC in January. We'll be the guys with cramped left legs from lack of using a clutch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VCA...ature=youtu.be

Can someone help me embed that? I'm too dumb to figure it out!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You simply add [ yt ] before the link ad [ / yt ] after, without the spaces.

As I said on your Facebook post, it'll be interesting what you do with Benoit's car.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

BTW, is this car really for sale or were you joking about that?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:12 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FFaust
You simply add [ yt ] before the link ad [ / yt ] after, without the spaces.
Thanks! But which link do you copy from You Tube? I click on sharing and embed, but is there a specific forum content link? I tried both (the one that lists the frame width and the other and hit preview and just the link showed. I really appreciate that...sorry!

As I said on your Facebook post, it'll be interesting what you do with Benoit's car.
Issues like this that don't show up until 25 minutes on track make me nervous. Just because it has been fine since I plugged into it Saturday does not make me feel very well. He did 2 sprint races and the endure but a few times it was a bit jerky. We are going to see what codes are in the DME for the PDK and start from there. I will report back! Thank you again for the help above!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:06 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

BTW, is this car really for sale or were you joking about that?
I had my white 981 listed for sale at the track with the hopes that someone would want a 3.8L engine swap installed as part of the transaction.

We are however still trying to sell this 997.2 GS race car. I just lowered the price to $90K/OBO.

http://teambgb.com/for_sale_cars.asp
Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We are however still trying to sell this 997.2 GS race car. I just lowered the price to $90K/OBO.

Doesn't that car have a Guard LSD in it too?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks! But which link do you copy from You Tube? I click on sharing and embed, but is there a specific forum content link? I tried both (the one that lists the frame width and the other and hit preview and just the link showed. I really appreciate that...sorry!
No, nothing fancy like that. You just post the URL (from the address bar at the top of the browser window) between the [yt ] and [ \yt ] ,actually not even the whole URL, although I'm sure it would work, but in this case, just the 8VCAZreFHX8. If you want to "see" what I mean, go to my post with the video and click on " " (quote) as if you were going to quote my post and look at what comes up in the window. You will see what I posted to embed the video.

Issues like this that don't show up until 25 minutes on track make me nervous. Just because it has been fine since I plugged into it Saturday does not make me feel very well. He did 2 sprint races and the endure but a few times it was a bit jerky. We are going to see what codes are in the DME for the PDK and start from there. I will report back! Thank you again for the help above!
It's been looked at by the dealer (full re-program, whatever that means) and Spencer, but otherwise "should" not have been tampered with, unless someone connected or cut a wire that they shouldn't have.

The car was damaged before he bought it. It wasn't heavy damage, but maybe something was affected?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

I had my white 981 listed for sale at the track with the hopes that someone would want a 3.8L engine swap installed as part of the transaction.
Would love to, but I'm not there yet, you know $$. My GT3 is for sale so that I may buy a proper race car (GTB likely). If I don't sell, I'll probably build mine. I'm just short a cage, fire supp, and nets. Given a choice however, a 3.8 Cayman would be the ticket. I drove Ben's car at Tremblant last month and it was an eye opener. I was the first to drive it without PDK issues.

Web site still says $105 BTW.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

What is the weight of these fully stripped race caymans without the driver? 2600lbs? 2700lbs?
Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
What is the weight of these fully stripped race caymans without the driver? 2600lbs? 2700lbs?
The most recent car had PDK and with that, it's 80lbs heavier than a 6-spd car but surprisingly light. With full cage, aero, everything the car is 2805lbs. We didn't use any carbon fiber or lexan so there are another 125 - 150 lbs. out there to achieve in weight savings in the form of carbon decklid, doors, rear hatch, roof skin, fenders, fender flares and FR/R lexan that costs about $600 in parts. The entire carbon fiber body kit from Getty is less than $10K. Our Rolex car had a more robust cage, fuel cell and parts and we got that car right to around 2600ish. That's about as low as it gets without trying to do thinner lexan, thinner carbon, etc.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

My 987.2 race car is about 3050 as it comes off the track with me in the car and I am around 210-215 with suit/helmet etc. I am looking to reduce the weight of the car by around 100-150 lbs.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

The most recent car had PDK and with that, it's 80lbs heavier than a 6-spd car but surprisingly light. With full cage, aero, everything the car is 2805lbs. We didn't use any carbon fiber or lexan so there are another 125 - 150 lbs. out there to achieve in weight savings in the form of carbon decklid, doors, rear hatch, roof skin, fenders, fender flares and FR/R lexan that costs about $600 in parts. The entire carbon fiber body kit from Getty is less than $10K. Our Rolex car had a more robust cage, fuel cell and parts and we got that car right to around 2600ish. That's about as low as it gets without trying to do thinner lexan, thinner carbon, etc.
Thanks John, good info. I'm potentially considering doing a cayman built with a 2010 S PDK car.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I'm looking to buy a quick release aftermarket steering wheel. Any recommendations on where I can get aftermarket paddle shifters?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:31 AM
cpturbo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm looking to buy a quick release aftermarket steering wheel. Any recommendations on where I can get aftermarket paddle shifters?
http://www.wrightmotorsports.com/#!p...ng-wheel/c22g2

Quick Reply: Does anyone need a Cayman race car built?