Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman gts coming or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Stevie 911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman gts coming or not?

The other day I spoke to a reliable Porsche sales rep in NY who told me there has been not a hint of info about the upcoming cayman/boxster gts reveal. As reported back in the fall of 2013 I have been anxiously anticipating the reveal at the Beijing auto show in April as well as the supposed cars availability of June 2014. My rep stated that Porsche has their hands full right now between the Macan & 991 targa. Although he said he did hear that the car was in the works but at a later date than we all are anticipating. Bummer.

Ps, if anybody knows anything otherwise please share. Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Plenty of chat about it on planet 9, where one poster has already put in a down payment and has been told April unveiling -- if not earlier....
Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

It's here....

Check out Porsche.com. The car has 340bhp and bunch of leather and alcantara for a 10k bump in price....
Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

For my expensive build, the GTS came out about 200 bucks less. Some things I like better, and some not. But for an expensive build, the GTS makes a bit more financial sense IMO... as long as I get the same discount as the S; I'll know tomorrow. Also I'm getting my 10 grand back from Austin tomorrow, after figithing with them for 2 weeks, so will be able to order either a GTS or a 2015 CS this week. Dealer only has one allocation for July (next is Sep), for a late August delivery. I'm almost sure dealer will want to make a bit more on that first car (perfectly understandable), so might end up with just a 2015 CS, which was my original plan anyway. And due to all the blacked-out (and tinted) stuff, I'd change the color from agate gray to rhodium silver on the GTS. And yes, the exterior painted package is in black too (except the headlight nozzles, in body-color). Oh well. But the rear diffuser looks way better, as well as the black tips. The front DRLs look much better too, and the overall look is more aggressive. I doubt the 15 extra HP will be felt, but at least they'll compensate for the extra weight of the adaptive seats . I just wonder if Porsche will treat is as a 'special edition', or sell as many as they can.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Stevie 911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
It's here....

Check out Porsche.com. The car has 340bhp and bunch of leather and alcantara for a 10k bump in price....
Great news, I. Found out yesterday like everyone else. I informed my rep in NY yesterday morning. I directed him to the Porsche configurator so he could see for himself. He phoned me back to say how all the sales people were laughing amongst themselves, he stated he was not totally surprised because Porsche does this sometimes, if I were him I would of been a little embarrassed. I guess.
I'm so happy I didn't settle on a CS last fall because I would of chosen every option which are fitted as standard on a GTS. About the only thing I'm skeptical about is the black painted front lower fascia. I will have to see how it looks in person on a light colored car my choice would be white or rhodium.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I doubt the 15 extra HP will be felt, but at least they'll compensate for the extra weight of the adaptive seats . I just wonder if Porsche will treat is as a 'special edition', or sell as many as they can.
Its a 15 HP bump and 7 lb/ft of torque. Porsche claims its .1 seconds faster to 60 and I think 1 mph increase in top speed over an S. If there was going to be a noticeable increase in performance they would have needed to give it a serious bump in torque like another 35+...7 is meaningless, as the car's weight is the same as an S. I really like the rear diffuser,...but the front looks unfinished and aftermarket to me. If someone is ordering most of the options that come on a GTS, why not order it and get the extra HP & Torque just for the heck of it (particularly if you like the front end treatment and rear diffuser).
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stevie 911
I'm so happy I didn't settle on a CS last fall because I would of chosen every option which are fitted as standard on a GTS. About the only thing I'm skeptical about is the black painted front lower fascia. I will have to see how it looks in person on a light colored car my choice would be white or rhodium.
Seeing as I don't want 95% of what is on the GTS (other than the extra 15bhp), I'm glad I "settled." And that 15bhp would be nice for bragging rights, but I know I would never be able to really tell (and it can be gained through Fabspeed exhaust....).
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I remain disappointed that for the price we got offered a nose and a paper bump in power . I will just have to wait it out until Porsche milks its customers enough of the last dollars they can and finally has to try to put some more in the Cayman . It is not that isn't fast or quick as it is - it is more of what it isn't that keeps me waiting and glad I didnt buy one last year .
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm holding out for a 981.2 R...
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I'm holding out for a 981.2 R...
Even if it's the rumored twin turbo four cylinder motor? I thought the same thing until I heard that......
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I remain disappointed that for the price we got offered a nose and a paper bump in power . I will just have to wait it out until Porsche milks its customers enough of the last dollars they can and finally has to try to put some more in the Cayman . It is not that isn't fast or quick as it is - it is more of what it isn't that keeps me waiting and glad I didnt buy one last year .
Actually, it looks more to me like they have the cars a goatee. As for what the GTS models are, I'm not really sure why you are disappointed. It's exactly what the leaked slides for a Porsche meeting showed (a 15 hp bump, PASM, leather interior sport chrono, 20 inch wheels etc). Anyone who thought the cars would get 40-75 hp for that price was delusional. Porsche charges 991S buyers $18,000 for a 30hp bump (and that doesn't give them sport exhaust and other upgrades. So 40hp + along with other extra cost options included was never going to happen for $12,000.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

seems pretty much like my 2012 cayman R, when comparing numbers...
Old 03-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Even if it's the rumored twin turbo four cylinder motor? I thought the same thing until I heard that......
If the new TT 4-banger puts out nearly 400hp as has also been rumored, I don't think I'll be too upset about it. Plus it'll be a flat four, so it keeps tradition alive.

Quick Reply: Cayman gts coming or not?