Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

If I was getting a 911, I would not get a 991. Depending on what I wanted the car for, it would be a 997 of some sort or a 993 -- and pretty much nothing else.

On the 911 v. 981, it depends on whether you want the flawed but iconic sports car or the latest version of best sports car design by the iconic sports car company.

And Tim is right, the 981 occupies the space previously held by the 911 and the 911 is in a GT cruiser space now.

Finally, I looked at your build and quickly came up with about 10k I could wipe off it if you're concerned about price. Plenty of discussion on planet 9 about which options do not have a good ROI...
Old 02-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
To me the Cayman occupies a place the 911 used to, as long as you don't need rear "seats". Compact, drive-every-day, reliable sports car fun at a reasonable price......IF you're careful with the option sheet. Going overboard with options makes for a car that is special and VERY expensive.

The new 911 is a beautiful car but it's gotten bigger and the price seems to have gone a little silly when equipped with normal options.

Me? For the money we're talking for a new 991, I'd take a lightly optioned Cayman S AND a nice 964 or 993.
+1

The 991s are really nice cars. But IMHO, they are larger than what I want and they have grown and moved more into a GT car category. If that is what you want go for it. Take a look at these pix just to see a comparison in size of the 991 with a 1989 3.2 Carrera and a 1960s 912. http://flatsixes.com/cars/for-sale-c...carousel-26320

The current 981 CS is more what the 911 once was. If I were to buy a 911, the cars that I would be considering would be a 993, a 964 or a 911 3.2 Carrera.

You can easily get a really nicely equipped Cayman S in the low to mid 80s, and have plenty of money left for a very nice air cooled 911. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, so many replies! I'll try to get to everyone...

Originally Posted by simon85
93k where? USA? In Canada the cayman S start at 73k. Add PCCB brakes and you are at 83k, with no other options.... Add navigation, pasm, 20 inches wheels, pdk, sport chrono and you are already around 93k... Doesn't take much over here
$93k in the USA.

Originally Posted by extanker
which ever one you get please try to enjoy it on the road...not the garage. my opine...i would not bling out a cayman for 100k
Absolutely! They are meant to be driven, and that's exactly what they'll be doing!

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
To me the Cayman occupies a place the 911 used to, as long as you don't need rear "seats". Compact, drive-every-day, reliable sports car fun at a reasonable price......IF you're careful with the option sheet. Going overboard with options makes for a car that is special and VERY expensive.

The new 911 is a beautiful car but it's gotten bigger and the price seems to have gone a little silly when equipped with normal options.

Me? For the money we're talking for a new 991, I'd take a lightly optioned Cayman S AND a nice 964 or 993.
The one thing that set me off most about the 991 was it's size, it felt HUGE in comparison! Granted, I have yet to drive one so I'm not sure what it feels like past the showroom floor. I may have gone slightly silly with the options, but I added what I thought I would enjoy now, and what I pictured would set the car apart in 3-5 years.

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Any Porsche can run up BIG if you add on the options .

IMO only if you are getting new $100K and want a new Porsche car then I think the 911 is the way to go .

Back down the price range and I say the Cayman is the way to go.

A Cayman is a small car . You might want to think about that over time . A 911 is a somewhat more useful car . But still a sports car .

There is no question that while the Cayman is a great car, that the 911 is widely viewed as the best Porsche . You need more time on test in a 911 before you decide .
Luckily, I'm a pretty small guy! I actually much preferred the size of the Cayman. You're certainly right about needing more time in a 911, I hope to have some later this week.

Originally Posted by inkatouring
If I was getting a 911, I would not get a 991. Depending on what I wanted the car for, it would be a 997 of some sort or a 993 -- and pretty much nothing else.

On the 911 v. 981, it depends on whether you want the flawed but iconic sports car or the latest version of best sports car design by the iconic sports car company.

And Tim is right, the 981 occupies the space previously held by the 911 and the 911 is in a GT cruiser space now.

Finally, I looked at your build and quickly came up with about 10k I could wipe off it if you're concerned about price. Plenty of discussion on planet 9 about which options do not have a good ROI...
Any reason in particular you'd NOT get a 991? I quite like the body styling. I definitely went a little crazy with the options, but since it's my first porsche and I plan on keeping it forever I wanted to make it special. I'd be interested in seeing what you took off

Originally Posted by Dino944
+1

The 991s are really nice cars. But IMHO, they are larger than what I want and they have grown and moved more into a GT car category. If that is what you want go for it. Take a look at these pix just to see a comparison in size of the 991 with a 1989 3.2 Carrera and a 1960s 912. http://flatsixes.com/cars/for-sale-c...carousel-26320

The current 981 CS is more what the 911 once was. If I were to buy a 911, the cars that I would be considering would be a 993, a 964 or a 911 3.2 Carrera.

You can easily get a really nicely equipped Cayman S in the low to mid 80s, and have plenty of money left for a very nice air cooled 911. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Interesting size comparison, really shows how large the 911's have become! When I sat in the 991 on the showroom floor the first thing that came to mind was "wow, this is a big car!" - especially after just sitting in a 981. I think I'll have to do some driving in a 991 to see if that feeling goes away.

Maybe I'll try to make a build which hits the mid-80's but still remains "special" / well optioned. It's going to be hard to restrain myself...

Thanks for all the opinions, I truly appreciate it!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by iiAtlas

Interesting size comparison, really shows how large the 911's have become! When I sat in the 991 on the showroom floor the first thing that came to mind was "wow, this is a big car!" - especially after just sitting in a 981. I think I'll have to do some driving in a 991 to see if that feeling goes away.

Maybe I'll try to make a build which hits the mid-80's but still remains "special" / well optioned. It's going to be hard to restrain myself...

Thanks for all the opinions, I truly appreciate it!
Definitely drive both cars back to back and go for several drives in each car on different days. Both are great, but quite different.

You can definitely build a great car in the mid 80s, and with a good discount be under $80. I did, and I got all the performance options I wanted (PTV, PASM, PSE, Sport Chrono, 20" Carrera S wheels, 6sp mt) and full leather two tone interior with sport plus seats, white gauges, CDR+ and Bose, brushed aluminum trim and a few other things. A few pricey options I didn't want were the PCCB, PDK and Infotainment package. If I had gotten those I'd be well into the 90s. Wishing you luck with whatever you get.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Any reason in particular you'd NOT get a 991? I quite like the body styling. I definitely went a little crazy with the options, but since it's my first porsche and I plan on keeping it forever I wanted to make it special. I'd be interested in seeing what you took off
I don't love the looks of the 991 and find the 993 and 997 to be most attractive, but that's personal opinion. Also, as been told to me (but not personally experienced), the 911 generations, as they grow in size and modern ammenities, transform to a less connected drive-car experience. The 997 is less connected than the 996 (which is too ugly to talk about in mixed company, but lets just say Ellen Barkin would feel comfortable there...). The 996 less than the 993, etc.

The 993, well, that's the best styling in my mind and the most iconic of icons, being the last of the aircooled (ok, one could argue that a small bumpered 911s would be the most iconic -- or a 73 rs...). But owning one as a daily driver is getting less and less practical.

The first thing I would do on your build is get rid of the infotainment. The Nav is nice, but will be useless in 2 or 3 years and out performed by your cell phone (if it isn't already). The CDR plus gives you all the big screen and iPod integration you need and get from the infotainment. I also would get the Bose not Bergereister (or whatever it is called) If you really want a great stereo (or speakers), you need to go aftermarket. If not, acknowledge you ar ein a car, which is nowhere near an ideal stereophonic experience -- except for engine and road noises! That saves you several grand right there. Several other little things like telephone module (only necessary in Europe -- cell phone alternative) and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. Those add up quickly. I think I could your build down to 83 without significant sacrafice.

Personally, I did not get PVT (really shows itself on the track, not very necessary for street driving), sports chrono, PSE, or PASM. I like my machines with less buttons and do-dads. Less to brake, easier to use. PASM is nice, but who is going to like paying for those shocks when they wear out? Not me, thanks! PSE? Get an aftermarket exhaust in a few years when you want to tinker with the car.

Try this build on for size: clickie here. MSRP = 81,850. With the 8% discount I got, yours for only $75,302!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Definitely drive both cars back to back and go for several drives in each car on different days. Both are great, but quite different.

You can definitely build a great car in the mid 80s, and with a good discount be under $80. I did, and I got all the performance options I wanted (PTV, PASM, PSE, Sport Chrono, 20" Carrera S wheels, 6sp mt) and full leather two tone interior with sport plus seats, white gauges, CDR+ and Bose, brushed aluminum trim and a few other things. A few pricey options I didn't want were the PCCB, PDK and Infotainment package. If I had gotten those I'd be well into the 90s. Wishing you luck with whatever you get.
Sounds like a nice build you got there! Congratulations on it, should be a blast.

I don't love the looks of the 991 and find the 993 and 997 to be most attractive, but that's personal opinion. Also, as been told to me (but not personally experienced), the 911 generations, as they grow in size and modern ammenities, transform to a less connected drive-car experience. The 997 is less connected than the 996 (which is too ugly to talk about in mixed company, but lets just say Ellen Barkin would feel comfortable there...). The 996 less than the 993, etc.

The 993, well, that's the best styling in my mind and the most iconic of icons, being the last of the aircooled (ok, one could argue that a small bumpered 911s would be the most iconic -- or a 73 rs...). But owning one as a daily driver is getting less and less practical.

The first thing I would do on your build is get rid of the infotainment. The Nav is nice, but will be useless in 2 or 3 years and out performed by your cell phone (if it isn't already). The CDR plus gives you all the big screen and iPod integration you need and get from the infotainment. I also would get the Bose not Bergereister (or whatever it is called) If you really want a great stereo (or speakers), you need to go aftermarket. If not, acknowledge you ar ein a car, which is nowhere near an ideal stereophonic experience -- except for engine and road noises! That saves you several grand right there. Several other little things like telephone module (only necessary in Europe -- cell phone alternative) and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. Those add up quickly. I think I could your build down to 83 without significant sacrafice.

Personally, I did not get PVT (really shows itself on the track, not very necessary for street driving), sports chrono, PSE, or PASM. I like my machines with less buttons and do-dads. Less to brake, easier to use. PASM is nice, but who is going to like paying for those shocks when they wear out? Not me, thanks! PSE? Get an aftermarket exhaust in a few years when you want to tinker with the car.

Try this build on for size: clickie here. MSRP = 81,850. With the 8% discount I got, yours for only $75,302!
Thanks for the build! Looks pretty great all in all, and is quite a bit cheaper then mine with (like you said) not many sacrifices. I appreciate the long reply, and I completely know what you're saying about feeling "less connected." One huge plus with the cayman (can't say yet for the 991 as I haven't tested one) is that I absolutely felt as if the car was an extension of myself. This was an amazing feel, and certainly not something I would want to sacrifice.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Well, if you want (what I consider) bare-bones, check out my build here. After the discount, under 69.5. While by far the most expensive car I've ever bought (and only second new car), it's almost-sort of cheap -- for a new Porsche, that is!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Dino944
Drifting

+1 nix the infotainment system. Its will get outdated, and you phone will do the trick. Nix the infotainment...the Cayman gets a reasonable amount of engine noise in the cabin, its a waste to have the Burmester compete with it. I went with CDR+ and bose. Also get rid of the illuminated steel door trim that says Cayman S. Thats $825 in your pocket...the car will just come with smaller metal plates attached to the same plastic and the steel plates won't light up, but they still say Cayman S. Lose the telephone module. Also, the mirrors can be folded by hand so get rid of the electric folding mirrors. Just by doing these things and switching to CDR+ with Bose your build is down to say 86 and change (before a discount). You could still shave a few things off if you chose to. I would consider adding white or maybe luxor gauges. Some people have complained, and I noticed it that in bright sunlight it can be tough to see the numbers on the RPM gauge of an S model because there is not enough contrast between the white numbers and the light gray RPM gauge background. But that is moving things in the wrong direction...oops. Good luck building your car.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it's crazy, but it greatly depends on which options you picked. I am planning on buying either a Cayman GTS or a Cayman R (if Porsche decides to sell a 981 version) in paint to sample, deviating stitching throughout, etc., so my sticker will be ~$90K as well.

I've owned three 997s (excellent cars) and a 987 Cayman. If you don't need the backseat and you don't worry what people think about your "cheap" Porsche, then you'll love the Cayman. For what it's worth, most people that didn't know though my Cayman was more expensive than my 911.

The key is options - don't pick silly stuff and you'll be happy.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Pick the car you love so far you have your mind set on the cayman personally I also love the cayman personally don't have one but have used my friends one acouple times and it's a blast to
Drive on the 495 its a good size for a weekend car you don't need the back seat you said so go
For it

Just don't go option crazy on it either but don't keep It away and take it out just once a month enjoy it ALL these cars are BUILT to get driven

Take the wife out on a long road trip or go to new places to visit and see drive it just drive it
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

+1 nix the infotainment system. Its will get outdated, and you phone will do the trick. Nix the infotainment...the Cayman gets a reasonable amount of engine noise in the cabin, its a waste to have the Burmester compete with it. I went with CDR+ and bose. Also get rid of the illuminated steel door trim that says Cayman S. Thats $825 in your pocket...the car will just come with smaller metal plates attached to the same plastic and the steel plates won't light up, but they still say Cayman S. Lose the telephone module. Also, the mirrors can be folded by hand so get rid of the electric folding mirrors. Just by doing these things and switching to CDR+ with Bose your build is down to say 86 and change (before a discount). You could still shave a few things off if you chose to. I would consider adding white or maybe luxor gauges. Some people have complained, and I noticed it that in bright sunlight it can be tough to see the numbers on the RPM gauge of an S model because there is not enough contrast between the white numbers and the light gray RPM gauge background. But that is moving things in the wrong direction...oops. Good luck building your car.
Thanks for all the suggestions! All seemed pretty reasonable - kept the "special-ness" I wanted while bringing the number to something I'd be more comfortable getting a cayman with. Well done!

Well, if you want (what I consider) bare-bones, check out my build here. After the discount, under 69.5. While by far the most expensive car I've ever bought (and only second new car), it's almost-sort of cheap -- for a new Porsche, that is!
Hey, not bad! Thanks for the build

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I don't think it's crazy, but it greatly depends on which options you picked. I am planning on buying either a Cayman GTS or a Cayman R (if Porsche decides to sell a 981 version) in paint to sample, deviating stitching throughout, etc., so my sticker will be ~$90K as well.

I've owned three 997s (excellent cars) and a 987 Cayman. If you don't need the backseat and you don't worry what people think about your "cheap" Porsche, then you'll love the Cayman. For what it's worth, most people that didn't know though my Cayman was more expensive than my 911.

The key is options - don't pick silly stuff and you'll be happy.
Ever feel at a loss for power when switching from the 911 to the Cayman? I see you're looking at more powerful ones which (in my mind) points to a yes. Which car made you happier to just sit in? Silly question, I know, but I'd love to hear the answer!

Originally Posted by Donaldx3
Pick the car you love so far you have your mind set on the cayman personally I also love the cayman personally don't have one but have used my friends one acouple times and it's a blast to
Drive on the 495 its a good size for a weekend car you don't need the back seat you said so go
For it

Just don't go option crazy on it either but don't keep It away and take it out just once a month enjoy it ALL these cars are BUILT to get driven

Take the wife out on a long road trip or go to new places to visit and see drive it just drive it
Size is one big plus for the cayman in my eyes, those back seats would really be doing me no good. Not going option crazy is so hard though!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Ever feel at a loss for power when switching from the 911 to the Cayman? I see you're looking at more powerful ones which (in my mind) points to a yes. Which car made you happier to just sit in? Silly question, I know, but I'd love to hear the answer!
Regarding power, keep in mind that although the car you were comparing to the Cayman S, a Carrera 4S has more horsepower and torque it also weight 275lbs more before you add any options to it. In a straight line its definitely got more pick up, but its a lot more mass to deal with especially in winding roads.

That being said, if you truly have a thing for owning a 991, then buy a 991. If you buy a substitute it won't scratch that itch, and you may find yourself selling the Cayman (losing $ with some depreciation) and buying a 991 in the end anyway. For me, it was easy the Cayman was the car I wanted, and the 911s I would consider would be vintage air cooled cars. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:34 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is $95K, but we're not crazy man. The trick is to be aware is a stupid financial decision, but I've seen many folks regret not getting one option or another, and end up selling the car much sooner than they thought. And yes, that has happened to me, so I learned the lesson that it if I'm going to buy something superfluous like a Porsche, do it right and get what you want. It might seem like a lot of money, but it very well save you money at the end if you keep it long enough because you're happy with the car.

As far as 'trading' a fully-loaded Cayman S for a stripper 911, it'd be the stupidest thing I could do. You'd NEVER be happy. By the way, adding the same exact options of my Cayman S to a 911 base adds exactly 20 grand. And 95 is not even enough for a base 911S.

Now, I don't know about the 991 because I haven't driven one, but the 997 doesn't hold a candle to the 987 Cayman S in driving satisfaction. And even less in handling. The 911 just feels weird to me. And even at sedate speeds, that pendulum of an engine hanging out the back is not inspiring at all. Yes, I know you can do wonders with that car, especially with the nannies on, but it's not rewarding to me. I could afford a 911 equipped the same way as a CS, but I'll never buy one. It's crazy to want one just because it's supposed to be 'the Porsche'; that's what Porsche wants you to believe, and why they keep the Cayman neutered. But fortunately, I'm past being a HP junkie. The Cayman S is slower than many much cheaper sporty cars, but haven't found one more rewarding to drive, so will reluctantly buy one . And reluctantly pay to the wazoo in options where half of them are standard in the cheapest cars nowadays. Will put the vaseline and get raped, but just once . No dealer anywhere close makes the Cayman an even less sensible choice, but as somebody said, you only live once. I don't like any other Porsche, so the itch will be gone once I own this one. And yes, if Porsche doesn't let me down, plan to own it for a long time.

Bottom line is if you can afford it, get it the way you want. I initially caved to the financially 'sound' advice to keep it under 80, but quickly realized it'd be a big mistake knowing me. The only thing I like about the 911 is it has more options available, like the sport AND PASM suspensions combined, and a glass moonroof, but neither is a deal-breaker, or incentive enough to get a 911, since I don't quite enjoy driving them. Where I drew the line was with PCCB; saving several pounds per wheel would be great, but not 9 grand great, so passed on that one. Also passed on PSE because it's definitely louder than stock inside even when 'off', and I wouldn't like that (and neither my wife) on long trips. But got all other performance options, including sport suspension, PTV, chrono, and of course manual. And the sport exhaust tips, since they look great larger and chromed. I also passed on the 'entry and drive', since the execution was very poor, with a POS plastic tumor where the key goes. Rather have less drain on the battery and less electronic issues, since ALL european automakers just don't seem to master a reliable keyless ignition system (BMW is the worst). That's a grand I spent on covering in leather the steering casing, the sport design steering wheel, and power folding mirrors . Good luck man. Oh, and we'll need the vaseline again when it's time to sell .
Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I had a 991 (2013) and now a cayman. They are very similar, but the 991 is a lot faster, a little bigger, and it has a back seat area so you can recline your seats farther (like when you are resting and waiting for someone). I use my car daily, if it were a weekend only car, I think the 911 might be worth serious consideration - the greater fuel consumption won't be an issue, and the added power will add to the fun. Personally, I liked the 993 much better than the 991, but the 991 is a beautiful car. For me, the 991 was too refined, and my wife just hated it (too rough a ride for her)
Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Regarding power, keep in mind that although the car you were comparing to the Cayman S, a Carrera 4S has more horsepower and torque it also weight 275lbs more before you add any options to it. In a straight line its definitely got more pick up, but its a lot more mass to deal with especially in winding roads.

That being said, if you truly have a thing for owning a 991, then buy a 991. If you buy a substitute it won't scratch that itch, and you may find yourself selling the Cayman (losing $ with some depreciation) and buying a 991 in the end anyway. For me, it was easy the Cayman was the car I wanted, and the 911s I would consider would be vintage air cooled cars. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks! I realize now I just need to get in and work out which one makes me smile the widest after a days drive

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Mine is $95K, but we're not crazy man. The trick is to be aware is a stupid financial decision, but I've seen many folks regret not getting one option or another, and end up selling the car much sooner than they thought. And yes, that has happened to me, so I learned the lesson that it if I'm going to buy something superfluous like a Porsche, do it right and get what you want. It might seem like a lot of money, but it very well save you money at the end if you keep it long enough because you're happy with the car.

As far as 'trading' a fully-loaded Cayman S for a stripper 911, it'd be the stupidest thing I could do. You'd NEVER be happy. By the way, adding the same exact options of my Cayman S to a 911 base adds exactly 20 grand. And 95 is not even enough for a base 911S.

Now, I don't know about the 991 because I haven't driven one, but the 997 doesn't hold a candle to the 987 Cayman S in driving satisfaction. And even less in handling. The 911 just feels weird to me. And even at sedate speeds, that pendulum of an engine hanging out the back is not inspiring at all. Yes, I know you can do wonders with that car, especially with the nannies on, but it's not rewarding to me. I could afford a 911 equipped the same way as a CS, but I'll never buy one. It's crazy to want one just because it's supposed to be 'the Porsche'; that's what Porsche wants you to believe, and why they keep the Cayman neutered. But fortunately, I'm past being a HP junkie. The Cayman S is slower than many much cheaper sporty cars, but haven't found one more rewarding to drive, so will reluctantly buy one . And reluctantly pay to the wazoo in options where half of them are standard in the cheapest cars nowadays. Will put the vaseline and get raped, but just once . No dealer anywhere close makes the Cayman an even less sensible choice, but as somebody said, you only live once. I don't like any other Porsche, so the itch will be gone once I own this one. And yes, if Porsche doesn't let me down, plan to own it for a long time.

Bottom line is if you can afford it, get it the way you want. I initially caved to the financially 'sound' advice to keep it under 80, but quickly realized it'd be a big mistake knowing me. The only thing I like about the 911 is it has more options available, like the sport AND PASM suspensions combined, and a glass moonroof, but neither is a deal-breaker, or incentive enough to get a 911, since I don't quite enjoy driving them. Where I drew the line was with PCCB; saving several pounds per wheel would be great, but not 9 grand great, so passed on that one. Also passed on PSE because it's definitely louder than stock inside even when 'off', and I wouldn't like that (and neither my wife) on long trips. But got all other performance options, including sport suspension, PTV, chrono, and of course manual. And the sport exhaust tips, since they look great larger and chromed. I also passed on the 'entry and drive', since the execution was very poor, with a POS plastic tumor where the key goes. Rather have less drain on the battery and less electronic issues, since ALL european automakers just don't seem to master a reliable keyless ignition system (BMW is the worst). That's a grand I spent on covering in leather the steering casing, the sport design steering wheel, and power folding mirrors . Good luck man. Oh, and we'll need the vaseline again when it's time to sell .
Sounds like you got a great build, congratulations! This is the way I see it too - I'd rather have a model at the top end of the line then one on the bottom. You're options seem similar to what I was looking into as well, so thats all reassuring. Guess I'll have to pick up some vasaline! Hah!

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
I had a 991 (2013) and now a cayman. They are very similar, but the 991 is a lot faster, a little bigger, and it has a back seat area so you can recline your seats farther (like when you are resting and waiting for someone). I use my car daily, if it were a weekend only car, I think the 911 might be worth serious consideration - the greater fuel consumption won't be an issue, and the added power will add to the fun. Personally, I liked the 993 much better than the 991, but the 991 is a beautiful car. For me, the 991 was too refined, and my wife just hated it (too rough a ride for her)
Too refined, interesting. Lack of character sort of thing? Too tame?

Quick Reply: $93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy?