Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about making the switch from BMW to Porsche

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 AM
RVExotics
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah, you're right. I'm only 31 now, and I'm of the mindset that you only live once and might as well enjoy it while you do.

Thanks a ton for the continued replies. I already know a lot more about Porsches now than I did when I made this post.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RVExotics
Hah, you're right. I'm only 31 now, and I'm of the mindset that you only live once and might as well enjoy it while you do.

Thanks a ton for the continued replies. I already know a lot more about Porsches now than I did when I made this post.
I was 32 when i bought my first Porsche. It was the most expensive car I had ever purchased. It was and still is a lot of money for me.
I have had a lot of good times with that car.
Road trips, rally racing, track days. All kinds of fun car stuff.
One of the best decisions I have ever made and this community has been a great place to learn and enjoy the ownership of the brand.

I now have 3 of them and would love to own more!

The obsession is contagious so be careful.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 AM
RVExotics
Intermediate

I will consider myself fairly warned!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in a decent position to answer your questions considering I have both a BMW M3 and a Porsche Cayman S now (the Cayman is my Wife's daily). I honestly like my M3 a lot more than the cayman but I think I could make the cayman more appealing with some effort (specifically improving the suspension with coilovers, etc). My M3 has been modified to my liking and the Cayman S is completely stock so it's not a very fair comparison. I'm going to get flamed for this but I don't like how the Cayman handles. Ours is the standard Non-PASM suspension which means it has 4x4 ride height and I have found that it understeers significantly. Again this is compared to My M3 with KW Clubsports so it's not a fair comparison. I also prefer the M3 engine note and practicality (4 seats, usable trunk, etc.). That being said, the Cayman has been a great car, is fun, quick enough, looks good, and has been reliable thus far (18k miles). It looks like you have other more practical cars for the days you need them so the lack of space in the Cayman shouldn't be an issue for you (unless you need the space daily).

I agree with others that a 987.2 or newer version is the best route to go. The new DFI motor really is a huge improvement in every way. It looks like you are coming from non-M BMW's so you should expect to be impressed by a Cayman test drive. The BMW M version really are a large step up (as I'm sure you know). I also think the 981 Cayman is one of the best looking cars available today. It's absolutely gorgeous. I personally wouldn't consider the non-S version but you should test drive them and follow your gut on that. I hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 AM
bach88s
Track Day

I had a 2013 BMW 335I. Than went to a Shelby GT500 2014. Than ended up in a 2014 Cayman S. I like the Porsche out of the other two way better. Between the BMW and the Porsche. The Porsche is more refined by a long shot. It gets way more looks, is way more fun to drive. Is much quicker. And I even had the power mod from BMW done to my 335I. I think it added 25 or 30 HP. Still won't keep up with this car. Best advice is to drive one. The engine sound alone right behind you is to die for.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 PM
sdj
Track Day

Once you drive the Cayman and without question the S , all your questions will be answered.
I had a similar experience: was never really a "car guy", let alone a Porsche guy; test drove one a whim one day while the Audi was in for service.

Next thing I know I'm generating Porsche build codes and placing orders…

:-)
Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM
RVExotics
Intermediate

Resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to update and say three days ago I pulled it off and drove home a new-to-me base Cayman. It had 7k miles on it and was for sale at a Toyota dealership 9 hours away. Long drive down and back through the giant speed trap that is east Texas but totally worth it. The car is white with PDK, HIDs, Bose, Power Steering Plus, base Boxster wheels, and painted center wheel caps.

It...is...a....blast. I keep thinking about reasons to drive it and mentally calculating the longest, curviest routes.

I got rid of a 328i coupe to get the Cayman and don't miss it much at all. The BMW was quieter inside but the Porsche is higher quality, and of course handles curves way beyond what I could even imagine.

Attaching some pics of the Cayman with our 328i Sedan.
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM
swessels
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dino944
As for maintenance plans...its great when they are included. However, we discovered years ago, that many of the bigger expense maintenance issues don't come up until year 5 or over 50,000 miles that way the car company doesn't make the payment for the big items. So the maintenance plan is nice, but its not saving most people any fortune.
I actually had a Porsche Sales Associate advise me the same. He said that there was little advantage to paying for the maintenance plan in advance.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase! Stunning looking car. Post a few interior pics when you get a chance. So did you end up getting a ticket?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:59 PM
smithvmi
7th Gear

Do it! I just made the switch. What convinced me was JUST LOOK AT THE PORSCHE
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM
RVExotics
Intermediate

No ticket thankfully, but that was solely due to paying manic attention to the constantly variable speed changes (75 to 60 to 40 to 75 etc) on Hwy 59. It was so obvious that the changes, sans warnings, were strictly to generate ticket revenue.

I'll get some interior shots soon. It's pretty basic, standard black with PDK.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Well, just did the opposite last month. Needed back seat for the grandkids so sold the '06 Cayman S and got an '11 CPO 335i M Sport. I do miss the Cayman but this will get me back in the garage to get the 951 down off jack stands. Not as sharp handling as the Cayman or as fast but for a four door works for now.
Next P car? Maybe an '09 911 PDK. But now till kiddos get bigger.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I am in the same boat. I have owned 2 335i, 4 E92M3s and now drive a 435i M sport line, I change my vehicles every year in order to keep my cost of ownership low. You may ask why going from the M3 to a 435i, the reason was that the M4 was not available and now I am considering it. At the same time I would like to jump to the other side. I test drove the Cayman S but came out with mixed feeling, I found it underpowered coming from the 414HP of the V8. I live in Miami so no twisty roads here, torque is more important to me. I was comparing the M4 to the Cayman GTS but I know that the M4 now has more torque than the previous M3, on the other hand the GTS handles better. As far as cost of ownership the BMW will be lower as well as depreciation. I can't afford a 991S so my only option would be the GTS. I want to give Porsche a chance but BMW is not letting me.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

once i drove a porsche, i didn't care for any bmw. they are just boxes with wheels.
and yes, i have a boat of of bmw's, including e30m3, e24m5, orig m6....

i bought my first porsche at 24.
i had full ride to college. told dad i need money for school. diverted it to porsche and maxed out my VISA (i didn't understand the 29% apr thing).... life was grand. see, i did'nt turn out that bad hahaha
go for it. b/c when you get older and married you will not be able to do it then...
Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice score! The Cayman looks hot in white....congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about making the switch from BMW to Porsche