Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does my 981 Cayman sound normal

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 AM
user2013
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does my 981 Cayman sound normal

It's a new '14 base Cayman PDK. Here's a video recording the noise:

It sounded like it was coming from the engine and not the road. The noise sped up as the car picked up speed and slowed down with the car too. It's only happened once so far. I already drove over the same road again and the noise didn't come back. I'll go check once more but I think it was from the car itself.

So what do you guys think, is this normal or trivial? It'd be nice if I'm just being clueless!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Are you sure the noise tracks engine speed and not vehicle speed?

To me it sounded like it was coming from the car.

The noise could be anything. My first thought was a wheel bearing or a CV bearing.

Even if my WAG is right that won't help make the noise go away.

The car is under warranty. Be sure you know how to duplicate the noise, produce the noise on demand, and then do so for a service manager or senior Porsche tech.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
user2013
Track Day

Thank you for the reply. I believe the noise tracked the vehicle speed, not the engine speed, at the time.

The thing is I can't reproduce it for a service manager since noise went away, so this video is the only record I have of the noise. Some say it might be something that got stuck to the wheels and got loose eventually.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by user2013
Thank you for the reply. I believe the noise tracked the vehicle speed, not the engine speed, at the time.

The thing is I can't reproduce it for a service manager since noise went away, so this video is the only record I have of the noise. Some say it might be something that got stuck to the wheels and got loose eventually.
That's certainly a possibility. I've had that happen twice with my Boxster, the first time a twig. The roads were littered with them after an ice storm. Managed to remove it by backing the car up and turning the wheels real sharp. Second time a small piece of rock (smaller than a pea) got caught between the rotor and splash shield. Made a heck of a racket. Had to jack up the front of the car and remove the wheel and then pry the shield to remove the rock.

Keep your ears open. If the noise comes back get the car to the shop.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

SOunds like a dragging brake pad to me.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
lenkun
1st Gear

Hi user2013, was curious if you ever found the root cause of that sound for your Cayman. I heard it on mine recently and did some searching and saw your post. Was it just something that got stuck or did you have to bring her in for a fix?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 AM
roadrunner2348
AutoX

I had a similar noise happen with my car, turned out to be stone that was wedged between the brake pad backing plate, and rotor hat on one of the rear brakes. No idea how it got there or how it stayed! That only happened once. On a somewhat related note anyone else get leaves stuck in the engine compartment intake fans during the fall?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Like others have noted it sounds like a rock, twig, or something lodged between the rotor and backing plate.
This has happended twice to me on my P-cars, a Cayman and a Boxster. Both times the sound was different as the debris was different.

Quick Reply: does my 981 Cayman sound normal