Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S engine swap for Carerra S

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:11 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by lcrain
So the ecu from a cayman is compatible with a 3.8? What other hurdles are there? Does the 3.8 mount up similarly? Are there any wiring concerns? how available are 3.8 engines and how much do they cost? 15-20k sounds very reasonable if that is installed including a donor motor...
IF you know what you are doing AND IF you can get the correct firmware in the car to run it AND make max power and torque, in theory, the ECUs are compatible among cars. It's more than just tweaking the 3.4L firmware to expect more air flow from the larger displacement motor. When you see 3.8L conversions out there NOT making advertised 3.8L power, it's usually attributable to the fact that they did not start with the ideal ECU firmware OR their intake setup is not ideal. 9 times out of 10, its usually the former and not the latter. The reason this project is so expensive is because Porsche no longer sells a turn-key crate style 3.8L EFI 997.1 engine anymore; you need to go on eBay or call junk yards and then, if you can source a motor for around $12K to $16K, the path of less resistance would be to shove an EFI 3.8L 997.1 engine in your car because it would bolt up to the existing transmission and would re-use the factory clutch, axles and wiring loom for the motor. The only way to do this upgrade for under $20K on an EFI car is to find a motor for $12K or less out the door. The fact that it's a total unknown though that is the center of your $20K investment scares most people, myself included who is responisble for the thing when it leaves here. This is the single biggest reason that all of our swaps feature new/reman engines from Porsche. We trust only the best and leave nothing up to question.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

John,
What is usually required for a 3.8 swap into a 981 Cayman S like mine. I know my core value is low even tho mine has only 3900 miles. I'm thinking I'd want some bigger brakes, LSD, maybe a lower diff ratio, and not sure if I'd need a stronger clutch & lighter flywheel. I have the Sport Exhaust but not sure if it really needs the headers. This would be a street car, not a track machine. What should I be thinking about for a 3.8 swap for my 2014 981 Cayman S?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PCA1983
John,
What is usually required for a 3.8 swap into a 981 Cayman S like mine. I know my core value is low even tho mine has only 3900 miles. I'm thinking I'd want some bigger brakes, LSD, maybe a lower diff ratio, and not sure if I'd need a stronger clutch & lighter flywheel. I have the Sport Exhaust but not sure if it really needs the headers. This would be a street car, not a track machine. What should I be thinking about for a 3.8 swap for my 2014 981 Cayman S?
@PCA1983 - PM SENT!

To shed some light on your questions or comments, unfortunately you are correct and the 3.4L 981 motor does in fact yield a lower core return value and therefore creates a premium on the swap pricing of $4K. To date, the only solution we have found for this was during this latest go around when we were lucky enough to have a customer here for a Power Kit conversion for his PDK 3.4L 981 Cayman S who went and found a customer in Orlando with a 2.7L so that we could actually do a double swap (for $5700, Customer B is acquiring Customer A's 3.4L engine AND having it installed in his 981 base) and THEN the 2.7L gets returned.

To answer further questions, the OE clutches in these cars are very adequate and are robust enough to handle the increased power and torque. The times that aftermarket clutches were sourced were usually in conjunction with a lightweight flywheel and a customer's wanting something even more "beefy" than stock. For this, we still use ZF Sachs parts but we use their "sport" plate which can be used with a fixed OR a sprung hub clutch disc. Any effort to reduce weight in the drivetrain via a flywheel or to increase the rate at which things spool up will pay dividends when trying to scavenge torque. Guard Transmission makes a shorter ratio 3-4-5-6 that is good for 165mph - the only race track that would need more gear would be Daytona but it looks like you're interested in building a "sleeper" street machine. The most recent conversion we did had aftermarket Cargraphic 200 cell headers mated to the OE Porsche exhaust, a torque biasing LSD and a lightweight flywheel that reduced weight from 26lbs to 13 lbs and created more torque at the wheels than other 981 conversion we have done to date. Larger front 991 S 6-piston calipers can be sourced as can OE 340mm discs; if you want larger you can upgrade to 350mm front discs or 325mm rear discs from Girodisc. If you want to stay with stock 991 front brakes though since you are not going on track very often, they're more than adequate.

Feel free to drop us a line if you would like. Last week I added a small blurb about the first 10 3.8L 981 swaps we completed in late 2013 and 2014. That link can be found here http://www.teambgb.com/category-s/124.htm and will give you a good idea as to what was bolted to the first 9 cars, as each car is different because we want to custom build the 3.8L 981 that you always wanted, just the way you wanted it. #10 should be done any day now but it is a Power Kit mated to a PDK transmission which requires a bit of mojo with the electronics.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks for the info John. I plan to do some reading the next day or two on the ones u posted. Maybe I can - get lucky too and find a 2.7 981 owner who like like an upgrade.
The transmission upgrade sounds nice. The 6MT on my S is definitely tall geared. Last time I checked, it looked like 2nd gear was good for 75mph and 3rd was 105.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

You can't change your 2nd gear ratio. It's fixed to the mainshaft. Nobody is willing to pay the $4000 that it costs to remedy that so we will not be making 1st and 2nd gears.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Denndy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More detail on the 3.8L swap for a 987.1 Cayman S

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Yes, you are correct. I have struggled and struggled with this and given the need for the following items, this project fails the "sniff" test UNLESS you have a 987.1 with a bunch of money invested and you're not ready to give up your girl. IF that is the case and IF you want a brand new reman Porsche engine with a 2 year warranty and you want to make 420 crank horsepower and have a DFI On-Demand oil delivery system and no concerns anymore on track, i honestly cant think of any other way to do this.

Required parts are:
- New/Reman 997.2 3.8L Engine from Porsche
- New/Reman 987.2 3.4L or 2.9L (Shorter Ratios) Transmission from Porsche
- New 987.2 3.4L DFI Engine Wiring Harness
- New 987.2 3.4L DFI ECU
- Several Coolant Pipes that need to be upgrade to 987.2 Versions
- New Clutch (can include a lightweight flywheel and an upgraded Sachs
- Motorsport Clutch Plate) for a few hundred $ more
- New Axles for 987.2
- BGB EFI to DFI Harness (we went ahead and created a professional motorsport style "jumper" harness that will go from the 3.4L DFI engine wiring harness to the 3.4L EFI chassis harness)
- Conversion Labor (50 Hours - Includes removal and replacement of existing engine WHICH if your 987.1 is not blown, carries a core value of $9K today)

So to confirm, yes it's possible and yes it could be started TODAY and yes it's not the cheapest form of power and torque but it does come with a new motor with a warranty and some fire breathing power that would have anyone grinning ear to ear.
I have an '06 Cayman S with a blown engine (looks like due to a Stage 4 over-rev). How does that affect the core value? Further, if I wanted to make the swap, can you ballpark (or give more precise #'s if you have them handy) of what the all-in cost would be for the motor and other required mods + a Guard LSD. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:26 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Denndy
I have an '06 Cayman S with a blown engine (looks like due to a Stage 4 over-rev). How does that affect the core value? Further, if I wanted to make the swap, can you ballpark (or give more precise #'s if you have them handy) of what the all-in cost would be for the motor and other required mods + a Guard LSD. Thanks.
Can you call the shop possibly so that we can speak further? As long as the engine failure was not catastrophic, the motor still has a core value of $9500 which means that whatever new engine we purchase will come with an offsetting core charge amount for your existing 987.1 motor. I will send you a PM with my contact information. Give us a ring and we can email you a budget with an estimate to do this and possibly add a Guard LSD.
The following users liked this post:
Norcalftw (06-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 AM
dak996
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cayman 3.8l engine

Hi there buddy.. I'm planning to buy Cayman S 2009 and swap with 3.8l engine.. Can you please help me how can I do that
Old 09-19-2019, 10:54 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dak996
Hi there buddy.. I'm planning to buy Cayman S 2009 and swap with 3.8l engine.. Can you please help me how can I do that
Where are you located?
Old 12-02-2019, 08:20 AM
LastNight911
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Yes, you are correct. I have struggled and struggled with this and given the need for the following items, this project fails the "sniff" test UNLESS you have a 987.1 with a bunch of money invested and you're not ready to give up your girl. IF that is the case and IF you want a brand new reman Porsche engine with a 2 year warranty and you want to make 420 crank horsepower and have a DFI On-Demand oil delivery system and no concerns anymore on track, i honestly cant think of any other way to do this.

Required parts are:
- New/Reman 997.2 3.8L Engine from Porsche
- New/Reman 987.2 3.4L or 2.9L (Shorter Ratios) Transmission from Porsche
- New 987.2 3.4L DFI Engine Wiring Harness
- New 987.2 3.4L DFI ECU
- Several Coolant Pipes that need to be upgrade to 987.2 Versions
- New Clutch (can include a lightweight flywheel and an upgraded Sachs
- Motorsport Clutch Plate) for a few hundred $ more
- New Axles for 987.2
- BGB EFI to DFI Harness (we went ahead and created a professional motorsport style "jumper" harness that will go from the 3.4L DFI engine wiring harness to the 3.4L EFI chassis harness)
- Conversion Labor (50 Hours - Includes removal and replacement of existing engine WHICH if your 987.1 is not blown, carries a core value of $9K today)

So to confirm, yes it's possible and yes it could be started TODAY and yes it's not the cheapest form of power and torque but it does come with a new motor with a warranty and some fire breathing power that would have anyone grinning ear to ear.
Hi, pulling this from the dead. I have a 2006 Cayman S with a running engine that sounds like a diesel (knocking). I am evaluating a bunch of different swap options, one of them is the 9A1 987.2 engine.

For this to be swapped into my 987.1 car looks like my parts list based on the above is: 3.4L 9A1 motor, 987.2 DFI engine harness, 987.2 DFI ECU, I am assuming I can use my 987.1 manual trans/clutch/etc.

The last piece of the puzzle would be the BGB EFI to DFI Harness? Does that cover the gist of this or am I missing any large component?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM
LastNight911
7th Gear

bump
Old 04-05-2020, 11:25 AM
914 racer
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get a response to this post, I’m thinking about doing the same thing and I’m trying to figure out what I need. I tried emailing BGB but got no response.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:07 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 914 racer
Did you ever get a response to this post, I’m thinking about doing the same thing and I’m trying to figure out what I need. I tried emailing BGB but got no response.

Hello....i must apologize. I actually went and drove into the shop to see if i can find the email you sent. Did it go to info@teambgb.com? Did you sent it to me? Sorry if it slipped through the cracks. How can we help? If ever in doubt, you can always email jtecce@teambgb.com.

thank you!

John

Quick Reply: Cayman S engine swap for Carerra S