Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide, PDk or manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following has always being my reasoning for every PDK vs manual thread:

PDK is $3,200. Stick shift is $0. I know there are a lot of 1 percenters here, but I can't stand the thought of spending that kind of money on something that is less fun. I do see the benefit of PDK, and its technologies are certainly worth the money. But buying a sports car, the fun factor definitely trumps anything else. My money will always go towards fun things. For me, getting PDK for the sake of getting fancy things just doesn't make sense, or cents.

Also, you will never have to apologize or explain yourself if you get stick shift.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM
pmillerny
Intermediate

I have to agree with most of the other posters here. IMHO, PDK is the best choice for either those that deal with heavy traffic or the driver that is so skilled that the fractional seconds on a track will make a difference in a competitive setting. Personally, I have a long way to go before I'm willing to trade the engagement of the manual for clear competitive advantage offered by the PDK. I don't measure my lap times so my gratification comes from hitting my turn-ins, apexes and track-outs and, occasionally the perfect combination of heel-and-toe downshifts and smooth, well-timed steering inputs - well, one-day, anyway. If a computer did took care of the downshift for me, it just wouldn't be as gratifying.

As they say, to each his own. Good luck with your decision. No matter which way you go, I'm sure you will have many years of enjoyment and have no regrets!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Stevie 911
Track Day

Default Can't decide, PDk or manual

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond with your honest opinions. I have to say this is by far the most difficult decision in ordering the cayman. I hope I don't regret this but I think I'm going with PDK for the following reasons:
1) it is faster 0-60 & 1/4 mile
2) no more annoying missed shifts w/ manual transmission
3) launch control only available with PDK & sport chrono
4) I find the shift **** positioned a little high for my liking in the manual, doesn't have that short throw feel to me.
5) I own a 2013 mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca which has a 6 speed manual tranny(see#2). I won't be trading in.
6) I like the look of the sport steering wheel & paddle shifters w/ PDk
Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevie 911
Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond with your honest opinions. I have to say this is by far the most difficult decision in ordering the cayman. I hope I don't regret this but I think I'm going with PDK for the following reasons:
1) it is faster 0-60 & 1/4 mile
2) no more annoying missed shifts w/ manual transmission
3) launch control only available with PDK & sport chrono
4) I find the shift **** positioned a little high for my liking in the manual, doesn't have that short throw feel to me.
5) I own a 2013 mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca which has a 6 speed manual tranny(see#2). I won't be trading in.
6) I like the look of the sport steering wheel & paddle shifters w/ PDk
Well thought out logic. But for me, because mine isn't a DD, I am going with the manual. I think that 10 years down the road, when the world has gone almost completely PDK, there will be considerable interest among enthusiasts to row the gears and heel/toe. Think CD/vinyl. Neverthless, I have driven a PDK Cayman S on the track and you simply can't fault it.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 5 manual transmission cars and got a PDK recently. Its really is good.............almost Ferrari F430 good.

You cant go wrong either way but with cell phones, traffic and agg factor the PDK does a lot very very well.

AS someone above said the manual transmissions are for sure going away in the next few years. You can 100% bet money on that. Porsche is fazing them out and the writing is on the wall clear as ever.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a PDK 2009 CS. Thinking of retiring the gt3 rs from track duties. Risk is too high if I have a money shift or off track excursion.

After two days of ownership I am very pleased. Shifts are so smooth. Love the auto throttle blip in sports plus mode. Next de day in 4 weeks. Can't wait to see how she performs. If initial tests go well, I see an ITC build in my future. Coming from gt3, the 3.8L engine upgrade is starting to seem like a must have.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
MMarmini
7th Gear

I'd love to race a PDK but I'm not sure if its really truly race worthy just yet.
Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Cayman14
Cruisin'

I bought mine with the 6MT and love it. I am old school and need to be engaged with my car!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:38 AM
zenspector
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a n '09 Cayman with PDK. It is a fabulous transmission and I loved it for a while, but came to feel that the car felt too sterile. No real engagement with the car like with a manual. I eventually sold it, and now drive an '06 BoxterS and couldn't be happier. Although, I am looking to upgrade to a '10 BoxterS, it will definitely will be a manual.
I have also heard that the new model manual is just a manual version of the PDK, and doesn't have the same feel as the 6 speed. I don't know. Rumors always abound, but you might check it out.
Cheers
Old 07-21-2013, 02:04 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Only way to find out which is right for you is to test drive both ALOT! I spent the last two weeks deliberating on this, and probably took more than 10 back to back test drives. To me, the tech specs were irrelevant, ultimately it came down to fun vs versatility. Driving a stick is more fun and natural for me (like an old glove)... and i like to keep my skills sharp for the racetrack... initially, the pdk felt awkward and disconnected. However, every time i went out, the pdk felt better and better... i started to learn how to utilize it, and it just increasingly blew my mind how awesome it is... the sounds are intoxicating... the driving experience at the limit felt no less engaging (just different)... the advantages and versatility so overwhelmingly favored the pdk in my eyes, that the decision became very easy. My new car arrives on wed ( white, pdk, pasm, sport chrono, sport exhaust, paddle shifter sport design wheel, red belts, debadged, 19" cayman s wheels)... having a hard time sleeping
Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

The manual is becoming obsolete and will be nostalgic. I love manuals too but these manual matics are simply incredible.

Ferrari started it all and perfected it. Porsche has really gotten it right too after all the terrible Tiptronics.

All professional race cars have great flappy paddles or should have them

The OEM manufacturers want manual mastics as there is only 1 part to build and stock, it's impossible for hammerheads to over rev , mis shifts, grind gears and that eliminates warranty and repairs. If you lease cars you don't want manuals in the general publics hands.

My boxster spyders PDK is really really good so good I'm actually not missing anything and more focused on driving. On sport plus nothing is lost the car auto blips and everything like a Ferrari.

It's 2013 technology and still and only getting better. If you have not tried it you are missing out. Every sportscar I have owned was always manuals from corvettes to my 1st Porsche a 1984 Carrera to a 2006 Lamborghini gallardo spider . As you know some of the Porsche manuals were terrible and still some aren't great with cable shifters.

Lots of manual transmissions are trashed and often rebuilt as typical people don't know what they are doing. People reading this forum are the select few that would be easy on manuals.

A top Porsche ag employee told me all Porsche manuals are being phased out for all of the above. So buy and collect some manuals but enjoy the double clutched systems.

If you are competitively racing any car a manual matic is a huge advantage over a true manual and a racer can concentrate on going fast.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
All professional race cars have great flappy paddles or should have them.
Sorry, but that one just isn't true - not by a long shot. Outside of the very top tier open-wheel ranks, very few race series' rules allow them.

FWIW, this is what I drive at the track. It is a pro series car, and it has a sequential-shifting manual (dogring) gearbox.

Quick Reply: Can't decide, PDk or manual