Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual (non-electric) trunk lid release

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual (non-electric) trunk lid release

I'm installing a battery kill switch and would like to have a manual (and repeatable) means of opening the front lid without battery power.

After taking off the left front wheel and wheel liner, I found the end of a braided wire cable sticking through a rubber grommet. Going to the luggage compartment, I removed the liner and traced the cable. The other end has a metal eye with a white plastic tube running through it. This is the tube through which runs the cable actuated by the emergency (entrapment) release located inside the trunk. (That release is electric.) It appears that if the cable inside the wheel well were pulled it would pull on the white tube and in turn pull the cable to unlock the trunk lid. But it also appears that the wheel well cable is not intended to be used more than once. The wheel well cable does not have a loop on the end, would have be grabbed with pliers and pulled forcefully, and it would not reset after being pulled.

Has anyone rigged the wheel well cable to accomplished my objective? Or is there another solution?

Quick Reply: Manual (non-electric) trunk lid release