Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for front license plates users?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default question for front license plates users?

I installed the front license plate bracket from porsche that comes with the car. I have screws on the bottom that hold the plate to the bracket.

The holes on the top of the bracket are larger so i dont have any screws holding the top of the license plate therefore the top of the plates is not flush with the bracket, it sticks out.

Is there a thicker shorter screw that would allow me to attach the top of the late to the bracket?

Or do you just leave only the bottom of the plate attached?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
bigwong
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have the bottom attached. You can also rationalize the angled plate by telling everyone that the cops can't laser tag your car because the light is reflected down to the road.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

We've had our 08 Cayman for almost 7 years now and never lived anywhere that a front license plate was required. We are moving to a place that requires them. I still have the black plastic license plate bracket. How does it secure to the front? To attach the license plate do you put the screws in from behind before mounting the bracket to the bumper?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven Porsches in Missouri for over 10 years without a front plate, two plates are required, and have only be asked by the police one time about it not being there and I did not get a ticket. A lawyer friend of mine, who also does not have a plate on the front of his Cayman, says that the fine is about $10. You never know.......
Old 02-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
We've had our 08 Cayman for almost 7 years now and never lived anywhere that a front license plate was required. We are moving to a place that requires them. I still have the black plastic license plate bracket. How does it secure to the front? To attach the license plate do you put the screws in from behind before mounting the bracket to the bumper?
Skip using the original plastic bracket. Buy a plate holder that uses the tow hook opening on the front bumper. Moweraxel makes some http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets.html
and there is another company that makes them. The plate will be a bit off center but you won't have to drill holes in your bumper. That's what I used on our 08 Boxster and I'm going to use it on our new 981S too. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Living over in Germany now. Installation was easy. The two long screws from the Porsche bracket go into the plastic bumper and hold the bracket tightly. The license plate goes in another plastic holder. The additional four screws go into the Porsche bracket and it's done.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Skip using the original plastic bracket. Buy a plate holder that uses the tow hook opening on the front bumper. Moweraxel makes some http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets.html
and there is another company that makes them.
The other company that I used was http://www.usmillworks.com/. Quite happy with their kit for $80. The whole assembly can be spun off in a matter of seconds if I want to remove the plate for autocross events.

TT
Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Noobies
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ not compatible with front parking sensors though :/
Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see a tow hook front plate mount on eBay for $39.95. Anyone tried this one out? I have the same problem. I don't want to drill holes either.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ottobon100
I see a tow hook front plate mount on eBay for $39.95. Anyone tried this one out? I have the same problem. I don't want to drill holes either.
As long as you don't have parking sensors they work great. We had one on our last Boxster from Moweraxel and really liked it. So when we got our Cayman we bought a new one from Moweraxel (the threads and length for the tow hooks are different so a 987 tow hook plate holder doesn't fit in a 981). Very happy with them. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

8 years in Boston and I was never ticketed for the lack of a front plate. 6 months in LA and I've been ticketed twice already. I placed my order with USMillworks this weekend.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:30 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Angry Hate front plates!

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
The other company that I used was http://www.usmillworks.com/. Quite happy with their kit for $80. The whole assembly can be spun off in a matter of seconds if I want to remove the plate for autocross events.

TT
Happy with the usmillworks mount. Just got it and it is on. Very good quality and easy to do. Looks a tad weird being off center but you have to have one up there and I didn't want holes in my bumper. BUT, why does Virginia require a front license plate??? Any state??? Aaarrrrggghhh! I hate having anything there! Looks so nice and streamlined without it!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:57 AM
ottobon100
Advanced

Angry Ticket in Virginia

Found out from a friend that was ticketed for no front plate a couple years ago on I295 near Richmond that the fine for not having a front plate properly displayed at that time (he didn't have one on his Z3) is about $130. Ouch! And he was pulled over specifically for that reason! Have I finally found a good enough reason to move to Myrtle Beach? No front plate in SC. ��

Quick Reply: question for front license plates users?