Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you reset "Service Now"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you reset "Service Now"?

I've done a number of searches on Rennlist and via Google trying to find out how to reset the "Service Now" message that comes up in 07 Cayman S.

Most of the information I've found says you have to get the dealer to do it.

I did locate one procedure involving holding the trip odometer button as the car is turned on, but that didn't work (it always come up into oil measurement mode).

Does anyone know definitively how to do this, or that only the dealer can do it?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmFiniti
I've done a number of searches on Rennlist and via Google trying to find out how to reset the "Service Now" message that comes up in 07 Cayman S.

Most of the information I've found says you have to get the dealer to do it.

I did locate one procedure involving holding the trip odometer button as the car is turned on, but that didn't work (it always come up into oil measurement mode).

Does anyone know definitively how to do this, or that only the dealer can do it?

Thanks!
I looked into this some when I had my 08 Cayman S and was not able to learn of a way to do it short of having it done by a dealership that has the Porsche diagnostics computer. (Complicated even then: The car uses KWP2000 for OBD2 communication but CAN for 'comfort bus' communication and the instrument controller IIRC is the controller that contains this service now message logic. FWIW, I captured all this KWP2000/CAN bus traffic with a special tool I have but I never had a chance to dig into any.)

Which reminds me: There is an aftermarket Porsche diagnostics computer system -- Durametric -- that sells for around (don't quote me) $300 that might have this feature but I never looked into this that much cause I lost the car to an accident just a few weeks after I bought it.

But do visit the Durametric site and read upon the tool and what it can and can not do.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
I looked into this some when I had my 08 Cayman S and was not able to learn of a way to do it short of having it done by a dealership that has the Porsche diagnostics computer. (Complicated even then: The car uses KWP2000 for OBD2 communication but CAN for 'comfort bus' communication and the instrument controller IIRC is the controller that contains this service now message logic. FWIW, I captured all this KWP2000/CAN bus traffic with a special tool I have but I never had a chance to dig into any.)

Which reminds me: There is an aftermarket Porsche diagnostics computer system -- Durametric -- that sells for around (don't quote me) $300 that might have this feature but I never looked into this that much cause I lost the car to an accident just a few weeks after I bought it.

But do visit the Durametric site and read upon the tool and what it can and can not do.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks, Macster. I was afraid of that. Strange that other Porsches seem to support this, but not the Cayman.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 AM
KS-CS
Racer

As far as I know, there is no hack like you describe for resetting it. It can only be reset by using a PIWIS computer (i.e. dealer) or Durametric. If you know anyone with a Durametric cable (e.g. local PCA club, etc), you might be able to sweet talk them into giving up one of their licenses to reset your car.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

and most dealers charge to reset it, but then Porsche charges them a large chunk every month for access to the system.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by f4 plt
and most dealers charge to reset it, but then Porsche charges them a large chunk every month for access to the system.
Man, what a racket.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:25 PM
emtnscs
1st Gear

http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Durametric with its most basic model can definitely turn off this warning.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

if your car is under warranty they don't charge for resetting it.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

This depends upon the dealer. Some I hear do charge. They want it on record the service light was reset without the proper service being done.

Quick Reply: How do you reset "Service Now"?