Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In search of the perfect Sports car

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:24 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In search of the perfect Sports car

For the past 24 yrs. there has always been a Porsche something or other in my garage with just a few brief episodes of absence. Mostly 911 variants, beginning with an ’86 cab, but once there was a Boxster, and once only a Cayenne.

While I’ve sprinkled in a Corvette or three and several Ferraris, it always has come back to the Porsches. Their philosophy, build a car that you can take straight to the track and whip it like a rented mule all day long and come home as pretty as you please has been impressive.

My last 911 was a beautiful Aqua Blue ’10 GT-3 that was a perfect example of their craft. The real problem with that car is that there is really no place in public to stretch it out. When I was a member at Autobhan CC here in Chicago the venue was always available. But now that I left (complex reasons not worth going into here) it was just collecting dust.

So I traded it in on an ’11 CTT and now have the perfect mode of transportation for the Urban/Suburban road warrior. Don’t want to spend too much time waxing about it, suffice to say, all other SUV’s are “just a truck” after getting behind that wheel. You have to pinch yourself and remind a fogged brain that it isn’t a supercar... well, maybe it is.

Anyway, last year I bought an M-B 550 cab and it is a great car... but not a Porsche in any dimension. This week I stopped by the dealer to get my winter tires off and summers on the Cayenne and it was like a trip to the candy store. He had a Turbo S cab, an RS and a Boxster Spyder all available. Needless to say I left the store dizzy and light-headed.

After a couple of days of sobering up, I returned, and darn if they weren’t still there, all chanting, “take me home...”. I’ve owned some monstrously fast vehicles in my life and stomping the loud pedal is fun, but after a while monotonous. it’s more about the whole experience that gets me going. After owning a bright orange Lotus Elise one summer I told myself that it was almost perfect, but underpowered, a little too low for the street, and slightly, but not much. too sparsely equipped for my tastes. But what a pure FUN driving experience.

First up, the Turbo S cab, of course. What’s not to like? The perfect 911! Every control fell naturally where my hands have become used to being. It just fit right. Was it fast? I’m sure, but no place near to test that. Was it quick? OMG, do not press the loud pedal unless it’s clear ahead, 120 came up so fast on the street that it was appalling, almost embarrassing. I was just about hooked... until I noted it had no seat heaters. I have rule about cabs, they MUST have seat heaters here in Chicago. Gives you 4-6 extra weeks of top-down fun. Hard to believe since the S checks just about every option box you did or did not think of, but no bun warmers...! Probably not a big deal for most guys, but for me, if I’m going to open the wallet that wide, it has to be perfect, and it almost was... almost.

Next up, a romping, stomping RS in what looked like Mexico Blue or near variant and red checkers. Red wheels and CCB’s (McDonald’s comes to mind). Very dramatic and if I were still tracking may have gotten the nod. But I had a 997 Mk I RS (Orange) and know that it grows old on the street. Add to that it’s only been about six months that I had the perfect street GT-3, so the RS didn’t rate a test drive, been there, done that.

Then I plopped my butt down in the Boxster Spyder. Looked around the dash and interior and felt that warmth you get when you know you’re in a special car. Took it out of the lot and motored down the street to my secret roadway (well, OK, not so secret, but it has a couple of twisties and if you catch them without traffic you can wring about 12-15 sec of all you can eat). It was all love and kisses. Porsche had taken a Elise-like concept, but did it the Porsche way. Not as “light” as an Elise to be sure, but the same razor-edge, turn here NOW, the same brake-steering vectors, all with much more power than any Lotus can muster. This is a sports cars guys! The sounds, the feels, the seating... everything about this car is FUN, exciting, a unique driving experience.

Been looking for exactly this car for years and now I’ve found it. Over those years I have come darn near to buying a 60’s XKE or AH 3000, but always hesitated because I don’t really want a flatbed and mechanic on call at all times. Glad I waited....

It’s dreary today but will follow up with some pics once I get her clayed and waxed, hopefully this weekend.

Did I tell you I was in love...?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on finding your perfect sports car! Looking forward to seeing some pix soon.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Then I plopped my butt down in the Boxster Spyder. Looked around the dash and interior and felt that warmth you get when you know you’re in a special car. Took it out of the lot and motored down the street to my secret roadway (well, OK, not so secret, but it has a couple of twisties and if you catch them without traffic you can wring about 12-15 sec of all you can eat). It was all love and kisses. Porsche had taken a Elise-like concept, but did it the Porsche way. Not as “light” as an Elise to be sure, but the same razor-edge, turn here NOW, the same brake-steering vectors, all with much more power than any Lotus can muster. This is a sports cars guys! The sounds, the feels, the seating... everything about this car is FUN, exciting, a unique driving experience.

Been looking for exactly this car for years and now I’ve found it. Over those years I have come darn near to buying a 60’s XKE or AH 3000, but always hesitated because I don’t really want a flatbed and mechanic on call at all times. Glad I waited....

It’s dreary today but will follow up with some pics once I get her clayed and waxed, hopefully this weekend.

Did I tell you I was in love...?
Great read Alegretto!

Truly this last paragraph sums up my feelings for the Spyder as well. I have always lusted after the "perfect" sports car in convertible form and until now there has always been something missing. My list of eligible candidates isn't as nice as yours but they include the Miata, Boxster, Elise and 911 Cab.

The Miata was very fun to drive and the shifting was incredible but the latest version felt slightly disconnected and wasn't as predictable. It also lacked power, boring exhaust sound and I didn't "fall in love" with looks.

I never drove the Elise because too many shortcomings prevented full interest in this car. The build quality was lacking, average power and I was worried about long term maintenance. It also didn't have an upscale feel which I wanted.

The 911 was a close second to the Spyder. I never test drove it which could be a mistake on my part but my gut feel said this was more of a GT/Sports car and I wanted something which was more of a Sports car with some creature comforts.

I seriously considered the Boxster S but when optioned the way I wanted I was close to spending the same amount and to get the same handling I would have to get the PASM. I wanted to avoid the electrical controls so long term care and ownership would be realistic so the Spyders simple suspension attracted me.

In the end the only drawback to the Spyder was the installation and removal of the top but I'm already getting faster at this and over the years I think it will be an advantage since I can maintain and replace it without a dealers assistance.

Definitely the best car I've ever driven by a long shot.

Bonus....my wife loves it too!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

The top is a hoot! Very classic in that it takes some work, but so what. I love the fact that they shaved 15-20 kg off the top of the car, coupled with the lowered suspension the axis vectors just leave a standard boxster (a great car) in the dust.

I also love the idea of a top that can just be a sun bikini but let the air in. Best of all worlds. My wife likes more comfort and she has cars for that. My kids are a little disappointed since they liked my M3 and 550 converts to ride in... but this is Daddy's car. Simple as that.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:18 PM
KAW
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im eerily similar to your story...my first Porsche was in 1984, a 1978 911 SC. And Ive had one in the garage ever since, mostly all 911s, last was a 2007 GT3. On a whim, I ordered a Spyder in December 2009 and got it April 2010.Great fun car that I love to drive, sport buckets, sport exhaust, top up or down! Ive always had a SUV DD. I sold my ML320 CDI and bought a 2011 Cayenne...a hybrid! So I now have a Cayenne and a Spyder and NO 911. Very strange. But very happy! The Spyder is great fun!! Enjoy.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:10 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great post! I have 09 CTT in the garage with a 09 Boxster S PDK. You have me now thinking about a Spyder PDK!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Great post! I have 09 CTT in the garage with a 09 Boxster S PDK. You have me now thinking about a Spyder PDK!
PDK is def the way to go if you can get one. I love it and it shifts perfectly, every time.

Marine Blue, between the weight of the top, the weight savings in the parts, lowered suspension and shock system you really can't get a Boxster S to handle like this no matter how much you spend unless you want to sink heavy aftermarket dinero into it, and you'd still be top heavy. As usual Porsche has created something you just can't make without their testing and facilities.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

PDK is def the way to go if you can get one. I love it and it shifts perfectly, every time.

Marine Blue, between the weight of the top, the weight savings in the parts, lowered suspension and shock system you really can't get a Boxster S to handle like this no matter how much you spend unless you want to sink heavy aftermarket dinero into it, and you'd still be top heavy. As usual Porsche has created something you just can't make without their testing and facilities.
You're absolutely right. The aluminum doors and the aluminum rear lid with lightweight roof have a huge impact. When I optioned the Boxster S with the sport buckets and Spyder wheels I found pricing to be higher than the Spyder which made my decision that much easier.

The look of the Spyder is second to none IMHO, it truly is something to behold. Porsche did an incredible job with this car. I still think the Spyder is the bargain of this decade when you consider the entire package. I feel pretty lucky to be able to own one and to order it to my specs.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

allegretto, you're spot on with your comment on the Spyder, the car is just plain sexy. I got mine out this weekend after a very long winter and spent a few hours detailing the car. I love my GT3 but the my Spyder wins hands down in the looks department.

Enjoy your new ride.

Cheers

Last edited by Polarporsche; 04-24-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Wow, lots of hardware there Polar.

The 3 is awesome. Do you track it?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:05 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the spyder, imo, is one of the best looking cars, ever built
the cayman r, in certain colour combos is not far behind; but still behind. better car to track though.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Wow, lots of hardware there Polar.

The 3 is awesome. Do you track it?

The GT3 is mainly a track car, I've done a few mods and like most GT3 owners, the tweaking continues.

Ordered the OEM sport Buckets seats and Dynamic Engine Mounts with the car.

List of Mods on my 2011 GT3
- Tarret rear toe links and locking plates
- Tequipment roll bar
- 5 point Harness
- BK Sub Bars for both seats
- 2 sets of Forgeline track wheels 18”
- Hoosier R6’s for DE and Nitto NT01 for AX
- Sharkwerks centre bypass pipe
- Padgid yellow pads- all four corners
- ¾ of the car is covered in Clear Bra
- TracMate HD system
- Track alignment- Corner Balance
- Hi-Temp Brake Fluid
- Extra set of Centre lock nuts

Future Mods
- LWFW
- Guard -LSD
- Fire Extinguisher
- ECU upgrade
- Girodisc brake rotors- all four corners
Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Polarporsche
The GT3 is mainly a track car, I've done a few mods and like most GT3 owners, the tweaking continues.

Ordered the OEM sport Buckets seats and Dynamic Engine Mounts with the car.

List of Mods on my 2011 GT3
- Tarret rear toe links and locking plates
- Tequipment roll bar
- 5 point Harness
- BK Sub Bars for both seats
- 2 sets of Forgeline track wheels 18”
- Hoosier R6’s for DE and Nitto NT01 for AX
- Sharkwerks centre bypass pipe
- Padgid yellow pads- all four corners
- ¾ of the car is covered in Clear Bra
- TracMate HD system
- Track alignment- Corner Balance
- Hi-Temp Brake Fluid
- Extra set of Centre lock nuts

Future Mods
- LWFW
- Guard -LSD
- Fire Extinguisher
- ECU upgrade
- Girodisc brake rotors- all four corners

A GT-3 is truly an insanely fast and capable car. Most owners who only street 'em have no idea what kind of vehicle they are riding. It needs the track to use some of that kind of vectoring. Shifting, throttle response the whole thing just begs for track speed and abuse.

Impressive list of ups. How many days a year do you get?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Nice

A GT-3 is truly an insanely fast and capable car. Most owners who only street 'em have no idea what kind of vehicle they are riding. It needs the track to use some of that kind of vectoring. Shifting, throttle response the whole thing just begs for track speed and abuse.

Impressive list of ups. How many days a year do you get?
My target was 20 DE/Time Trail days and 6 Autocross days. Some of the earlier events were missed due to scheduling issues but it looks like I'll get at least 16 days in, most will be at US tracks so lots of logistic issues to work out.

Your Spyder looks awesome, love the black wheels. I'm taking my Spyder out for a road trip next week, should get in 1000 miles over the next two weeks. It's a good start after 6 months of hibernation.

Cheers
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Allegretto, very interesting to see another GT3 owner in a Spyder. I was heading down that road in November 2009 when the Spyder was announced. Having had a 911 of some sort for almost all of my 25 driving years, but not totally enamored with the 997 lineup (I had a 2005), it sounded like exactly what I was after; light weight, minimum of electronics, special without being ostentatious. Although I wish I had the time to spend at the track with a GT3, the reality is that I am lucky to get out there 3-4 times a year, so a canyon carver I can enjoy to and from home made a lot more sense (although with only 2,200 miles in the year that I have had the Spyder, I don't enjoy it enough).

I have two diesels as well, an E320 and an X5.

Quick Reply: In search of the perfect Sports car