Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on buying

Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
radek7633
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on buying

hey guys,

Next year I am graduating from my honours undergraduate program and entering into a masters program, and as a gift to myself I want to buy a sports car. (Cayman S, 370Z gt, Z4, 350 SLK...)

I was wondering if someone could give me a breakdown on how much it costs for regular maintinance

oil change
break job
engine belt
spark plugs

what can be done at home, what has to be done at the dealership?

I've had many Saabs, so I know the maintinance costs but am a bit scared of having the engine in the back and that it will be too pricey for me.

Any advice is helpful =)

Radek
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Oil change and brake work definitely can be DIU. Filter is about $10 and oil $6-7/qt. Pads changes are easy once you have broken the adhesive away between the pads and dampers. Disc change is also easy. Pads vary in price from about $80 per axle to $250. My last set of discs cost $250 (oem). I can't comment on engine belts or sparkplugs. Sparkplugs seem to last forever today. I recommend going to the Planet 9 forum for how to articles.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
radek7633
2nd Gear

bill...

thanks a lot, seems about average compared to the Saab
what is planet 9?

Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 AM
KS-CS
Racer

www.planet-9.com - which originally started as Cayman Club but now covers other models - the most active forum for Cayman owners with gobs of articles, files, etc. There is also the Cayman Register - you have to be a member of PCA to join the forum, but you can still lurk there.

I have done my own oil changes and brake pads/rotors, and you can definitely save money doing them yourself - an oil change and very basic inspection (sort of what you would get at Jiffy Lube) of the car is about $230 at my local dealer. The serpentine belt and plugs don't need to be changed very often (can't recall the interval off-hand), and they are doable, but a bit more difficult due to access.

There is a philosophy that there is some benefit in maintaining a good relationship with your local service department, and therefore having them do at least some of you maintenance may be desirable. If you do your own, it's a good idea to keep a log of some sort, and even receipts for oil, filters, etc. so that you can prove you have been maintaining the car, should a question arise.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on acceptance into your Masters program.

When I was shopping for a car to celebrate our 20th wedding annyversary we drove virtually all the cars you had listed plus a few more.
We even drove a Boxster (we wanted a convertable) that the Mercedes dealer had and could drive the MB & Porsche back to back. The Mercedes salesman said " Well, what do you think" and I replied "You shouldn't have let me drive the Porsche!). Needless to say we ordered the Porsche and did European Delivery. It was our best present ever....

Drive them and you'll see what I mean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips on buying