Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cayman RS?

Before I get dogpiled, what I am asking is if there will be a Cayman equivalent of the Boxster Spyder? During press releases and interviews, there have been hints dropped about a similar variant on the Cayman platform (less weight, more power, etc.). Anyone hear anything resembling truth about this?

I love the Boxster Spyder, but the climate here in the DC area is much more conducive to a closed car with our sudden rain showers, ridiculous humidity, etc.

Thanks in advance for any input...
Old 02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Chris, there's a thread over on Planet 9 (FKA Cayman Club) that's pretty inconclusive. Some quote articles saying it's coming. Others quote articles from 2008 saying the same. If I was a betting man, there will be one within a year based on the same formula as the Boxster Spyder. Don't expect too much of a performance gain as Porsche still has to protect 911 sales.

Probably like you, I dream that someday Porsche will actually make a fully fleshed out 987 platform. Imagine what would be possible if the minds behind the GT2/GT3 RS were unleashed on this car.

Here's the thread in case you'd like to view for yourself:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...2010-link.html

Last edited by ChrisF; 02-20-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chris - Thanks for the info!

At this point, I'll probably be content with a 200-lb lighter, focused Cayman S. I want to pick up something to drive the snot out of at the track, and a GT3 is too rich for me to ball up...
Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Given the market for '06-07 cars and relatively proven TPC turbo kit, it's pretty easy to build a track monster for less than the price of a new car. If memory serves TPC isn't too far from you either. I considered this route but decided I wanted a car that had a warranty and the weaknesses (RMS/IMS/oil starvation/power steering lines) already fixed.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:25 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long with the suspect motors last with boost? Anyone install at GT3 motor in one? That's what I am waiting for!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

You can check with TPC regarding longevity but the consensus at Planet 9 seems to be that they are very reliable on both street and track. The kit only pushes 4-6psi boost. There's a video on YT I think of a CS vs. a CS turbo on the track.

There have been several motor swaps done to date with good results (other than the owners bank account). Haven't been in one personally, but god would I love to drive one.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a client that just got an upgrade to the Stage 2 ATP:2 turbo system and it puts down 477whp. His car had our ATP and then ATP:2 system for 50k miles(car has 65k on it currently). Very quick and it did an 11.7 in the 1/4. I know i am not a sponsor but you can feel free to pm/email me if you have questions.

Chris, Porsche hasnt announced anything yet but I would assume you might see something next fall.

Quick Reply: Cayman RS?