Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor vibrating

Hello,

I have an 08 Cayman S with 20k on it. The motor starts to vibrate like an unbalanced wheel at about 1800 RPM. I am going to take it to the dealer but wanted to get some opinion here first. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Hello,

I have an 08 Cayman S with 20k on it. The motor starts to vibrate like an unbalanced wheel at about 1800 RPM. I am going to take it to the dealer but wanted to get some opinion here first. Any ideas?

Thanks
Could be several things: If no check engine light chances are high it is something mechanical external to the engine like a engine mount or a bad half shaft u-joint or if car equipped with a manual transmission maybe the dual mass flywheel has failed.

If check engine light on then error code would provide a hint as to what's wrong. If check engine light on there are too many possibilities.

You might check with service manager before you take car in and see if he advises against driving the car any and instead wants you to have it flat bedded in. Car should still be covered by Porsche's road side assistance program so tow is free.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. I have tried it while stationary. As soon at 1800 is it the vibration starts. No CEL.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Thanks for the reply. I have tried it while stationary. As soon at 1800 is it the vibration starts. No CEL.
My advice is to have it flat bedded to nearest dealer and have the source of the vibration diagnosed and repaired.

There is always a concern of attempting some sort of self-diagnosis in that there's a risk of doing more harm, making a small problem into a major one. Even though car covered by warranty you should try to avoid making the situation worse.

The most important thing is that you know when the symptom appears and can convey this to the service manager so someone there can reproduce the symptom at will.

When you get the car back be sure to ask what the source of the vibration was and post back here. I for one am very interested the source of the vibration. Kind of an unusual symptom.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
equ
Racer

Depending on the vibration and distance to dealer, either flatbed it or drive it but seriously, don't even waste time wondering on the forums. This sounds important, could be engine mounts or something else, get it to the dealer ASAP!

Quick Reply: Motor vibrating