Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#38 Cayman qualifies ahead of all 911's!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #38 Cayman qualifies ahead of all 911's!

In the Continental Tire Challenge of the Grand Am at Daytona, the #38 Porsche Cayman finished 13th in qualifying. That was one slot ahead of closest 911 Porsche!

The #38 car was faster than ALL of the 911's that are entered in this same event ! Bravo!
This is the first time Cayman's have raced 911's head to head in a major race series since 2006 when a Porsche Cayman finished 4th overall in the 24hr Nurburgring. That was also when Porsche decided to withdraw ALL company support to any racing group who ever raced another Cayman.

These Caymans at Daytona have much less power and smaller tires. Yet as we all know, Daytona is a track that favors BIG HP cars. So I am very surprised that they are so competitive.
BRAVO!

Just think what the Caymans could do if given equal power engines, same transmissions, suspensions and tire sizes!

http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/res...ies=k&eid=1500

Last edited by Bodhii; 01-29-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche should be ashamed of the 'withdrawing of support', frankly. Given all the adverts touting the racing heritage, it is absolutely unforgivable not to put the best racing product out there. That may, or may not, be the Cayman .. However, the platform and tuning and drivers/teams should decide, not the marketing department. Rant off... GL to them (and GL to all the P Teams)!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

Daytona is also certainly a track that favors horsepower more than handling and you really had 2 cars ahead of the Cayman, the M3 (lots more power and much higher HP/weight) and the Mustang (also more power and much higher HP/weight) the latter being a turn-key race car that has had a couple of seasons and big$ behind it to make the mustangs what they are. Given the differential is just over 2 seconds from the pole and this track, I'd say the Caymans are MUCH further ahead of where I thought they'd be at this point. Tighter tracks and more experience/tweaking as the season progresses we could see some even higher finishes as long as the cars hold up. Remember, no one is really sure how these cars will hold up in the long run. Oh and yes I noticed they finished ahead of all the 997s...

Still, can you imagine Porsche's chagrin if the race results were to end up this way? Teams with well sorted 997's finishing behind a new effort with the Cayman? Granted ALMS cars are about 10 seconds faster at Daytona than the best of these GS class cars, but they also weigh less and have more power. What pray tell could a Cayman do with the weight and power of say the Flying Lizards 997??
Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Porsche should be ashamed of the 'withdrawing of support', frankly. Given all the adverts touting the racing heritage, it is absolutely unforgivable not to put the best racing product out there. That may, or may not, be the Cayman .. However, the platform and tuning and drivers/teams should decide, not the marketing department. Rant off... GL to them (and GL to all the P Teams)!
This bears quoting again, for it is also my opinion and a poor reflection on Weissach.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how close to stock the engine is, no disrespect meant. Anyone know? Is it a PDK car?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Imagine how well the car would do with a quality LSD inside of it. Oh wait...
Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

I believe this race will be on speed tonight at 7PM est.

Jack

Quick Reply: #38 Cayman qualifies ahead of all 911's!