Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2009 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
krenshaw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2009 Cayman S

Hi all,

Been lurking here on RL for quite some time and finally decided to post up some pics and a quick review of my '09 Cayman S, that I picked up back in May.

Impressions after 6 months of ownership:

This is my first Porsche and, truthfully, I was originally in the market for a pre-owned 997 C2S. I actually seized the opportunity at one of my local dealers to test drive an '06 C2S and '08 Cayman S back-to-back. I have to admit, I fell in love with the 997. What a phenomenal GT car! The combination of comfort and performance in that platform is something that cannot be explained, it can only be experienced.

After doing some searching for that perfect C2S, I went back up to the same dealer, who had recently done some shuffling of inventory on their lot & showroom floor. It was then that I caught a glimpse of an 09 Cayman S. The updated styling really caught my eye, as did the performance specs. So, for the heck of it, I decided to take one for a drive. I was truly impressed by the updates and differences between the '08 and '09 models. The additional horsepower was instantly noticeable and the entire package somehow felt a bit more refined. With all of the updates to the '09, I was hooked and quickly forgot about the 997 I had gone up there to visit.

After roughly 9,000 miles of using my CS as a daily driver, the experience has been pure bliss. The handling/balance of this car is truly second to none for any car in its class. I probably couldn’t make any comments on the handling without either repeating what everyone has already said or without dipping into the motojournalists’ cliché book: precision, surgical, knife-like, etc. all come to mind. This car is so balanced, it’s just silly. Any time I reach a turn or twist in the road I formerly recognized as ‘challenging’, I simply grin and apply more throttle. It’s just that good.

The power delivery is smooth and, while it’s certainly not a beast by any means, there is more than enough on hand for real-world use. 6th gear passes on the freeway are a non-issue and it’s often unnecessary to downshift – unless of course when I just want to let that sweet 3.4 rev! And speaking of the 3.4, another very noticeable difference between the 08 CS and the 09’s is the exhaust note. I’m not sure if anything was actually changed by Porsche here, but the exhaust note in the 09’s is much more pronounced than in the first generation models. That, combined with the intoxicating intake howl from just inches behind my ears, pretty much renders the BOSE system useless to me. I also occasionally enjoy using the sport mode of Sport Chrono. Throttle response is immensely improved using this feature and it really makes for a much more spirited driving experience.

As for the interior and comfort: The aforementioned BOSE system is quite good. I’m no audiophile for sure, but it’s definitely a worthwhile upgrade and nicely fills the compact cabin with clean & clear sound. The other interior options are relatively light for this model that I picked off the lot. My CS has heated sport seats (must have for New England winters), leather steering wheel, BOSE, self-dimming mirrors, automatic climate, Bluetooth and the universal audio interface. The sport seats are a really nice upgrade over the standard seats. The 09 CS that I test drove had standard seats and they were by no means unsupportive. But the sport seats really give the added feeling of being “in” the car. They are plenty comfortable for long drives and provide ample support in the twists and turns.

I should also mention that I’m just a shade over 6’3” and fit quite comfortably in my CS. Storage space is also surprisingly good. I’ve made several trips to the grocery store and Home Depot with this car and have yet to encounter a space issue. The forward “frunk” and rear hatch have more than enough room for anything I’d want to cart around in the CS. I’ve actually fit two oversized sets of golf clubs without problem, although I have to admit that the drive up to the course was much more enjoyable than the round of golf itself; but that’s a whole other story.

Build quality of this car is simply sublime. I’ve only encountered one small issue thus far. I have a small rattle coming from the headliner, which I plan to get fixed the next time she goes in for service. I’ve read that it’s likely just a loose headline clip or something of that sort, so I trust it’s just a small issue. But, other than a seemingly harmless rattle, the Cayman S has been nothing but joy for these first 6 months. I look forward to many more happy miles in her and I’m actually excited to see how she’ll perform in the winter.

Sorry for the long-winded write-up. Now, finally on to the pics.
Attached Images      
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Thanks for sharing your experience - not surprising that the Cayman was in Consumer Report's top 10 sports cars for owner satisfaction.

Very nice pix by the way!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
bigmac
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car and nice photos!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Alos
Instructor

The car looks excellent thank you for sharing.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

The car looks beautiful, and as a prospective CS buyer, I really enjoyed reading your post.

The only problem is that you make a really good case for a 2009+ DFI car, and not the 2006 I am vying for...
Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I enjoyed your article and the pictures. I just sold my 4th P-car and am about a week away from my new CS. I am just as excited as the wait for my first one.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
krenshaw
Track Day

Thanks for the replies everyone! I hope to get in another photo shoot soon -- maybe something once I get the winter tire/wheel setup mounted.

KS-CS: Thanks very much, and I guess you certainly could consider me "satisfied"!

Malakas: Sorry to throw a monkey wrench in your plans there I'd really suggest checking out a DFI car if you get the chance. In my opinion, it's a very worthwhile upgrade. Nothing against the pre 2009's at all, though. It's a phenomenal car, no matter which version you go for.

997S X PO Box: Congrats! Would love to see the details on your CS. I assume you're going for a PDK model, by your sig?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 AM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
The car looks beautiful, and as a prospective CS buyer, I really enjoyed reading your post.

The only problem is that you make a really good case for a 2009+ DFI car, and not the 2006 I am vying for...

Buy a garage queen '06 and with the money you save turn it into a car that is much faster than an '09.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review and great photos!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 AM
carlos3366
2nd Gear

Nice. I would love to have one, but it looks like the suitcase I travel with will not fit in the Cayman. I am not a big fan of having more than one car.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful car, congrats!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:08 PM
carlos3366
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by niche
Beautiful car, congrats!
Yours is more beautiful. My dream car.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

GREAT photos!! We need to meet up sometimes and you can use your skills on my Porsche.. !
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
krenshaw
Track Day

Originally Posted by niche
Beautiful car, congrats!
Many thanks! And your Turbo R is STUNNING!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
krenshaw
Track Day

Originally Posted by cfjan
GREAT photos!! We need to meet up sometimes and you can use your skills on my Porsche.. !

Thanks very much! And, I'm always looking for a good reason to get out and shoot (your GT3 is plenty reason enough for me!). I'm sure we could find plenty of good locations somewhere between CT and MA. Feel free to shoot me a PM sometime if you want to meet up.

Quick Reply: My 2009 Cayman S