Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone switch from a 911 (C4S)...

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Anyone switch from a 911 (C4S)...

Hello all,

I've been a pretty active Rennlister, but always in the 996 section.

Well the time in life has come... for more track days!

I've been thinking of trading in my 996 C4S for a 2006 Cayman S. Since I do not have garage space for a dedicated track car, I was hoping for something (with a warranty) that I could drive every day and that would excel at about 5 DE's a year. My 4S is at about 50K - and although it has absolutely no issues, and is stunning to look at, Im wondering if the Cayman may be a better DE car.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Here's a pic of my girl - because all threads should contain pics

Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is a beautiful color!

You mentioned the warranty as one of the reasons for making the switch, but if you buy a 2006 CS, it will be near the end of its original warranty as well - or are you looking at a CPO car?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Thanks - I absolutely love the color, and its one reason I don't want to sell it. Unfortunately Ive been seduced by the track, and I think my 4S is a little too pretty to beat on as a track rat.

Yeah, the 2006 is a CPO car... and it has sports seats - something I desperately need to upgrade into if I keep my current car. The stock seats just do not keep you in place on the track.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:04 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the sport seats in my Cayman and they don't hold you in place either at the track. I need the bucket seats...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Have you tried the tight seatbelt trick? Move the seat all the way back. Tilt the seat back. Hook up the seatbelt. Hold the belt tight and Lean your body forward till the belt locks. Start moving the seat forward and tilt the back forward till you get to a good driving position. This works great with the standard seats and better with the sport and bucket seats. You will need to pee when your session is over!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
Have you tried the tight seatbelt trick? Move the seat all the way back. Tilt the seat back. Hook up the seatbelt. Hold the belt tight and Lean your body forward till the belt locks. Start moving the seat forward and tilt the back forward till you get to a good driving position. This works great with the standard seats and better with the sport and bucket seats. You will need to pee when your session is over!
LOL! I sure have... and it gives you a real good squeeze!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:43 PM
krenshaw
Track Day

Wow... tough decision. The Cayman really is a marvelous car and, in my opinion, would be much more appropriate for track duties. But... your C4S is beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen an Orient Red 4S and that color really suits that car.

Again, that really must be a tough decision. As big a fan as I am of the Cayman, your C4S is stunning and I'm sure would hold up just fine with more track days.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I moved from a Midnight Blue '02 Carrera to a 2008 Cayman, after adding GT3 seats and M030 suspension to the 996 over the 50,000 miles I owned it. I love the PASM setup of the Cayman, and I find it more friendly and engaging on the track. However, maybe you should look at GT3 seats as a much cheaper upgrade than moving to a whole new car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone switch from a 911 (C4S)...