Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Does PASM really lower the car 10mm in the U.S.???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does PASM really lower the car 10mm in the U.S.???

The first Porsche dealership that I went to when looking at the Cayman S told me that the spec for a U.S. Cayman did not allow for the PASM to actually lower the car 10mm. The sales representative told me that only the European Cayman S' actually lower the car 10mm. This guy was trying to sale me a Cayman on the lot that didn't have PASM and I wanted PASM. Do you think he was lying to me to get me to buy the one on the lot?

Any validity to what he said? Does anyone know for sure? If I got in the Cayman and pressed the "Sport" mode, would I actually see the car lower 10mm?

Thanks in advance,

Shane
Old 02-28-2006, 08:42 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't lower it automatically; the car always sits 10mm lower with PASM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

Okay. I had searched but everything that came up was in reference to a 911 and a 911 S. It always sits 10mm lower with PASM and in Sport mode it just stiffens the dampers more. Got it and thanks.

So I'm guessing that in Europe when the Sport mode is chosen with PASM equipped cars the body actually lowers?

Shane

Last edited by Helo Driver; 04-10-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:55 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty sure that all PASM cars are the same; 10mm lower. PASM is purely an active damping system; not ride height adjustment.

Here is Porsche's description:

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is an electronic damping control system. Optional on the Cayman S, it offers continuous adjustment of the damping force at all four corners of the car.

The damping rates are adjusted throughout each journey based on current road conditions and driving style. Agility and driving pleasure are significantly enhanced while retaining the car’s natural ride quality. Equipped with PASM, the car rides 0.39 inches lower than with the standard steel-sprung suspension.

During each journey, the driver can choose one of two setup modes: ‘Normal’ and ‘Sport.' While the 'Normal' setting balances performance with comfort, the ‘Sport’ settings are generally much firmer, enabling greater agility on the racetrack. In either mode, the system responds to changing road conditions and driving style by applying the optimum damping rate on each individual wheel.

The rates are selected from a range of map options, which are specially adapted to the unique dynamics of the Cayman S.

The movement of the body is continuously monitored under acceleration, braking and cornering maneuvers, as well as on poor road surfaces. Other sensors provide additional information on lateral acceleration, steering angle, brake pressure and engine torque. A dedicated control unit provides real-time analysis and damper adjustment as defined for the respective setup mode (‘Normal’ or ‘Sport’). The result: greater stability and more consistent occupant comfort.

If, when ‘Sport’ mode is selected, the quality of road surface drops below a certain threshold, the system immediately switches to a softer rating and restores the car’s traction and grip. When the road surface improves, PASM returns to the original, harder rating. The system remains active in ‘Normal’ mode, too, automatically switching to a harder rating if the car is driven more assertively. As the dampers become stiffer, the car becomes more stable and driver control is improved.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Dealer could be confusing Cayman with the Cayenne? Pepper with PASM will lower the car by 1 inch at 78mph and another .4 inch at (IIRC) +/-120mph.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Helo Driver
Advanced

pstoppanni,

Thanks for that info. You're right. PASM equipped cars always ride 10mm lower.

Shane
Old 02-16-2015, 10:15 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Correct. The 10 mm lower rode height is obvious when you see it.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 PM
Blue55
2nd Gear

I have PASM on mine and I think compared to non-PASM cars it is slightly softer overall in the 'normal' mode and perhaps a little stiffer in 'sport' mode. According to what I have read the dampers can range from softer to harder than traditional dampers in at a matter of a few milliseconds. I'm quite happy with it and I specially got the car with this option.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:36 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most mortals would not notice 10mm/3/8 inch difference up or down in ride height
Old 03-03-2015, 11:59 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

That's exactly what I was thinking. A 4/10's of an inch drop will not matter one iota
in my world that's for sure.

Eddie

Originally Posted by extanker
most mortals would not notice 10mm/3/8 inch difference up or down in ride height
Old 03-07-2015, 03:28 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Cayman & Cayman S - 0 mm
PASM - 10 mm lower
X73 - 20 mm lower
GT4 - 30 mm lower

Yes, lower is always better for handling and for looks ( to a point), unless it's so low that you scrape hard turning into a driveway or gas station, etc.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:07 AM
rx7turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Cayman & Cayman S - 0 mm
PASM - 10 mm lower
X73 - 20 mm lower
GT4 - 30 mm lower

Yes, lower is always better for handling and for looks ( to a point), unless it's so low that you scrape hard turning into a driveway or gas station, etc.

That last part I already have to watch in my plain old S.

Quick Reply: Does PASM really lower the car 10mm in the U.S.???